Author Topic: And it starts...  (Read 7733 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: And it starts...
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »
I almost got a CC instead, but decided on the LHT after riding one.  In the end, I liked how stable and smooth it felt.  I'm hoping the longer stays will make towing my daughter around a bit easier.  With my current road bike, things felt a little cramped and climbing with it didn't feel right.

Chris
Yeah, stability is what I miss on my CC.  It feels a bit squirrelly.  It's a minor annoyance on long road rides.  The problems magnify when you put fully loaded panniers on it.  With a full load, the CC is borderline unridable at slow speeds. 

On the other hand, the CC is great on dirt tracks.  I'm actually faster on my Cross Check than I used to be on my mountain bike, sometimes.  So I guess it all balances out.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »
"Shell's ill from about 3pm till bedtime and fine from the time she wakes up till 3pm or so."
Oddly enough, that coincides with when you get home from work...

You noticed that too, eh? Wink

Chris

I think she's finally figured it out......so much for number 3......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »

If there were to be a number three, one of us would be sold into slavery.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 12:41:42 AM »

Chris

Just remember....the fertile ones bring double at market....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 02:30:50 AM »
I almost got a CC instead, but decided on the LHT after riding one.  In the end, I liked how stable and smooth it felt.  I'm hoping the longer stays will make towing my daughter around a bit easier.  With my current road bike, things felt a little cramped and climbing with it didn't feel right.

Chris
Yeah, stability is what I miss on my CC.  It feels a bit squirrelly.  It's a minor annoyance on long road rides.  The problems magnify when you put fully loaded panniers on it.  With a full load, the CC is borderline unridable at slow speeds. 

On the other hand, the CC is great on dirt tracks.  I'm actually faster on my Cross Check than I used to be on my mountain bike, sometimes.  So I guess it all balances out.

The CC has short chain stays for cornering on 'cross races.  Feels like you've got a flat tire at high speeds on road, right?  Mine feels that way, too.  But it rocks it out for 'cross.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »

Chris

Trust me, Chris would be the one up on the block.

Chris does NOT wear the pants in that family. He does, however, wear the dog collar...  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »
woof woof. Smiley

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 10:03:25 AM »
I put in 40miles on the LHT today.  I really like how it rides, nice and stable at any speed.  We were rolling along at 20mph in a tight pack with me in the middle and I was very much at ease, mostly because the bike was so stable, I didn't have to fear a momentary lapse of attention causing a pileup. 

My average was only 15.3mph, but that was partially because the first 6 miles was a very sedate pace as I rolled out to meet the others at the rendezvous point.  I also fell apart after 32 miles and had a hard time maintaining any speed over 16mph until the end.  Miles 6-30 was a fast pace, probably averaging 18mph.  Dunno if I didn't eat right or if the 4.5hrs of sleep did me in, but I screwed up somehow. I need to HTFU. Smiley

Anyway, not bad for a "heavy touring bike".  FWIW, another guy in our group had an LHT as well.  The rest of the weenies were on various flavors of racing bike.

Chris