Author Topic: What kind of tree is this?  (Read 7720 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: What kind of tree is this?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 04:50:02 AM »
Talk to County Ag Extension Agent.

One of the few truly useful functions of government.

Besides coining money, delivering the mail, and suppressing piracy on the high seas.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 05:15:47 AM »
Episode Three: How to recognise different types of trees from quite a long way away
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  The short & sweet is that my wife & I put a shed in our back yard this summer.  It's nice looking, painted to match the house etc... per HOA guidelines.  The one thing that may prove an issue is the stupid clause about not being visible from the street.  Right now it's not thanks to all of the trees we've already planted, but come late fall that will change.  

I don't know if they'll say anything (the head of our HOA is an obnoxious little woman), but we have a specific spot we're going to plant an evergreen of some sort.  It can't be too big, it can't be too small, it has to meet my wife's aesthetic tastes.  I also want to be careful about what kind of roots this thing will put out as it's going to be not too far from where the gas line comes in to my house.

Watering it shouldn't be an issue as it will be about 20 feet downslope from my AC unit and I plan to trench a little french drain from the condensation line to the base of the tree.  Heck, I may extend and bury the line so it actually comes out underground right next to the tree.

vaskidmark, GigaBruist, thanks for the suggestions.  Another magnolia off that same page looks like it might fall in the right size range.  I'll show some of Giga's other suggestions to her too.

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/little-gem-magnolia.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:47:06 AM by BryanP »
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln