Author Topic: 3rd world status here we come!  (Read 1527 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
3rd world status here we come!
« on: October 14, 2022, 10:50:53 AM »
Welcome to democrat USA
Video from Oakland CA. Sadly Oakland isn't alone in having whole areas like this.
The Rs should include video like this in all their ads. This is what decades of total dem control looks like.

Another good one further down in the link

https://twitter.com/Twolfrecovery/status/1580563679279427584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1580563679279427584%7Ctwgr%5Eb49a02b9a84dbab22524c8b05963651181fa3a14%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fmikel-313136%2F2022%2F10%2F14%2Fshanty-town-shocking-video-of-oakland-california-looks-like-something-out-of-the-third-world%2F
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: 3rd world status here we come!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 11:12:41 AM »
It's California.

They wanted it, they got it. They DESERVE it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 11:13:17 AM »
I hate littering.  Sounds like people there just stopped caring.  Stupid leftist policies will do that. 

There is no chance anyone would waste time or money fixing up a building or investing in that area if they can't stop people from camping or dumping trash on every square foot of public space.  I bet half those buildings are not even used.  How much inexpensive housing could be set up in that area?  But they can't due to zoning, permits, etc that will never be changed or approved. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 08:19:38 PM »
. . .The Rs should include video like this in all their ads. This is what decades of total dem control looks like . . .

I can visualize a powerful series of ads based on this . . . but the R's want to be nice rather than victorious.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 08:39:32 PM »
3rd world status here we come!

Welcome to democrat USA
Video from Oakland CA. Sadly Oakland isn't alone in having whole areas like this.
The Rs should include video like this in all their ads. This is what decades of total dem control looks like.

Another good one further down in the link

https://twitter.com/Twolfrecovery/status/1580563679279427584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1580563679279427584%7Ctwgr%5Eb49a02b9a84dbab22524c8b05963651181fa3a14%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fmikel-313136%2F2022%2F10%2F14%2Fshanty-town-shocking-video-of-oakland-california-looks-like-something-out-of-the-third-world%2F

Apropos of that, Developing World Problems in the USA

I’ve been traveling quite a bit all over the United States.  So far this year I’ve taught or taken 37 days of out-of-state classes.  I was in eight different states last month.  In addition to my busy teaching schedule, I’ve taken two short vacations in Florida and one in California.  I’m starting to think that the United Sates is rapidly becoming a third world country.  The things that once “worked” don’t work the same way anymore.  The decline is stunningly similar to what I’ve experienced in my travels in the developing world.

and a column with concrete examples.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 06:14:46 PM »
I recently went to a conference in Phoenix area. People from all over the developed world (Asia, Europe, etc.). I was pretty shocked driving into the convention center by the homeless camps and bums wandering about on every block, quite evocative of a post-apocalyptic zombie movie. I thought, this is embarrassing, they really should choose a different city. But I think most other target cities are having a similar problem. I used to go to Phoenix often for work, but the last time was about 4 years ago.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 08:25:54 AM »
I recently went to a conference in Phoenix area. People from all over the developed world (Asia, Europe, etc.). I was pretty shocked driving into the convention center by the homeless camps and bums wandering about on every block, quite evocative of a post-apocalyptic zombie movie. I thought, this is embarrassing, they really should choose a different city. But I think most other target cities are having a similar problem. I used to go to Phoenix often for work, but the last time was about 4 years ago.
There is a mental sickness (there's no other way to explain it) among many democrats that actually seeks out and promotes this kind of garbage. A couple of years ago, Austin, TX eliminated it's "camping" ban, and all of a sudden bums were all over the place turning formerly nice areas into shantytowns and tent city dumps. Public urination, defecation, drugs, crime, harassment of shoppers women and children - you name it. The State of Texas passed a law saying Austin couldn't do this, and the howls of indignation were long and loud. BUT . . . many of the areas were cleaned up, at least somewhat. Austin's "authorities" are trying really, really hard NOT to comply with state law. AND . . . they're spending tens of millions of taxpayer dollars to buy up old hotels to "house the homeless."

They get angry when people say they'll be promptly trashed once the bums are moved in. But of course that just means that contracts to renovate the properties will be let - after all, public works are a great way to convert public funds into private fortunes. But there's something really sick about doing it this way.

:mad:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 08:44:18 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 10:12:13 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 01:39:54 PM »
But wait, there's more

Sagging tents, rusting RVs, and makeshift structures have become common from Hollywood to Venice Beach - and even in the shadow of City Hall
    Over the past year, the camps have become increasingly bold, putting up full-sized tents and cordoning off entire streets, much to the chagrin of locals
    Now, citizens have snapped evidence the urban outposts are stealing water and power from the city to maintain a surprisingly lavish lifestyle while on the street
    Homelessness is a dominant issue in the state's upcoming mayoral election, with a large field of candidates promising to do more on the prevailing issue
    It comes as residents are forced to fight a tax on homes costing more than $5m

Freeloaders! How LA's homeless are brazenly hooking up WASHING MACHINES to street power lines and setting up HUGE 10-man tents on sidewalks - complete with makeshift flowerbeds!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11353093/Brazen-homeless-camps-LAs-squatters-using-WASHING-MACHINES-stealing-water.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 08:03:53 AM »
Welcome to Chicago
Pictures have to seen to be believed

Filthy homeless encampment is set up INSIDE Chicago's O'Hare Airport, with vagrants now living next to baggage belts in crime-ridden Windy City
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11752429/Filthy-homeless-encampment-set-INSIDE-Chicagos-OHare-Airport.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 08:18:14 AM »
Well, we're already well into 2nd world status, so it's not much of a jump anymore.

I posted in one of the covid threads that when I go to the grocery store these days, it reminds me of visiting stores in many other countries, where, while the shelves aren't empty, there are always either some things missing or some things where I can no longer get the brand or type I want. Milk is a good example. I can always buy milk, but it's always a crapshoot on if I can find my preferred brand and fat content.

It's not always the case when I go to one of the fancy grocery stores over an hour away in the big city, but my "local" (within 20-40 min) stores have been lacking full inventory for going on two years now.

We are really beginning to look more like Latin American or Eastern European countries.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 09:02:17 AM »
Well, we're already well into 2nd world status, so it's not much of a jump anymore.

I posted in one of the covid threads that when I go to the grocery store these days, it reminds me of visiting stores in many other countries, where, while the shelves aren't empty, there are always either some things missing or some things where I can no longer get the brand or type I want. Milk is a good example. I can always buy milk, but it's always a crapshoot on if I can find my preferred brand and fat content.

It's not always the case when I go to one of the fancy grocery stores over an hour away in the big city, but my "local" (within 20-40 min) stores have been lacking full inventory for going on two years now.

We are really beginning to look more like Latin American or Eastern European countries.
The major grocery chain in the Austin, TX area is HEB. For the past couple of years when I go there to do my major shopping, nearly always one or two items on my list are out of stock. And I don't mean anything exotic, I mean common stuff. Yesterday they were all out of distilled water. (I use that in my Keurig coffee maker.) The only occasions in the past 25 years they've been out of bottled water was when they were diverting supplies down to the coast for emergency hurricane relief efforts, which is understandable. But now? AFTER covid?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 09:05:55 AM »
Do you think some of this would be alleviated if there actually was affordable housing available? 

We have talked before all the oppressive govt red tape that prevents/obstructs construction of apartment buildings or modifying old buildings into apartments.  I wonder how much of the problem is people seeing a bleak future with little hope to get ahead traditionally and turning to drugs or other self destructive pursuits.  Assuming the authoritarian statist continue, it will get worse.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 09:06:53 AM »
The major grocery chain in the Austin, TX area is HEB. For the past couple of years when I go there to do my major shopping, nearly always one or two items on my list are out of stock. And I don't mean anything exotic, I mean common stuff. Yesterday they were all out of distilled water. (I use that in my Keurig coffee maker.) The only occasions in the past 25 years they've been out of bottled water was when they were diverting supplies down to the coast for emergency hurricane relief efforts, which is understandable. But now? AFTER covid?
Hey, we are still in a "covid emergency" don't you know. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 09:15:02 AM »
Do you think some of this would be alleviated if there actually was affordable housing available? 

Without trying to be cruel, some people simply want to be homeless. Often, it seems, in areas where they get money for it. Or because available help to become not homeless is "too restrictive".

Here in Idaho, the homeless tried to make a big stink (literally) by starting a homeless encampment in front of the Capitol. The Governor put up with that for about ten minutes. One of the things that came out of it, via interviews with many of the people there, was that homeless shelters were full. Absolutely not true. One particular homeless shelter, that allows drugs and alcohol and had other lax rules regarding cohabitation, was full. The Boise Rescue Mission (to which I donate a good amount of money) has all kinds of beds available. But they also have rules. No drugs or alcohol. No unmarried men and women (or whatever genders) shacking up together. Hygiene requirements, etc. They always have beds available.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 09:22:28 AM »
Without trying to be cruel, some people simply want to be homeless. Often, it seems, in areas where they get money for it. Or because available help to become not homeless is "too restrictive".

Here in Idaho, the homeless tried to make a big stink (literally) by starting a homeless encampment in front of the Capitol. The Governor put up with that for about ten minutes. One of the things that came out of it, via interviews with many of the people there, was that homeless shelters were full. Absolutely not true. One particular homeless shelter, that allows drugs and alcohol and had other lax rules regarding cohabitation, was full. The Boise Rescue Mission (to which I donate a good amount of money) has all kinds of beds available. But they also have rules. No drugs or alcohol. No unmarried men and women (or whatever genders) shacking up together. Hygiene requirements, etc. They always have beds available.

They made a big deal out of building homes for the homeless here and with much media fanfare moved in a bunch. After the media left nearly all the homeless promptly walked out.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »
Replying to Ben:
I understand that.  I would agree that some do want that lifestyle.  But were they always that way?  Were the people burned out by drugs always that way?  At some point, did they just find it easier to do that than to get a job and an apartment?  Just something I was thinking about and thought I would see what y'all are thinking.

Also, I am not saying we could eliminate homelessness.  Just think that some of this is the result of oppressive govt policies from the local level on up to federal.  While people like us talk about going off the grid or being independent, others just give up and find it easier to turn to drugs and end up homeless. 

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 09:30:47 AM »

We have talked before all the oppressive govt red tape that prevents/obstructs construction of apartment buildings or modifying old buildings into apartments.  I wonder how much of the problem is people seeing a bleak future with little hope to get ahead traditionally and turning to drugs or other self destructive pursuits.  Assuming the authoritarian statist continue, it will get worse.

Yes of course, more housing at market prices would help *some*. How much is not certain, but it would definitely help some. I don't know how you could fail to make the link between skyrocketing housing prices and rising homelessness.

Americans are absolutely pathological about preventing housing from being built. I recently accidentally joined a town hall meeting with the mayor and head of planning (they happened to be at the library). The whole discussion was about which things we should do to restrict housing and freedom of movement. Not about why, during a housing crisis, we should be restricting housing in the first place. It's really amazing that in the land of the free we think this is normal, and almost seem to crank it up to 11.

But I don't think we would eliminate ALL homelessness. As Jesus said, the poor will always be with us. But at least we should try to shrink the population to it's natural minimum by ensuring all rungs on the ladder are intact.

I also want to point out that these kind of camps are not new to America, we just aren't used to seeing them. Slums and shantytowns have been a fixture in America throughout history.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 09:45:27 AM »

I also want to point out that these kind of camps are not new to America, we just aren't used to seeing them. Slums and shantytowns have been a fixture in America throughout history.

True enough. I remember as a Boy Scout in the early 70's, one of our camping trips was at a beach campsite called Hobo Jungle. Because right next to us were the hobos aka homeless. Different brand of homeless than today. I recall, with no worry from the Scoutmasters, a number of us hung out at one of the hobo campfires, listening to their train hopping stories.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 09:47:21 AM »
Not all Democrat controlled places are crap holes (ie, Vermont).  It depends a lot on the demographics and culture of the people that live there. 

When you have large groups of people with repulsive and violent cultural values, adding Democrat control creates crap holes.

Violent, trashy cultures need severe police response to reduce misbehavior.  Though pretty much it is only a reduction, these places are still going to suck.  More peaceful people can get away with lax enforcement.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 10:17:40 AM »
Welcome to Chicago
Pictures have to seen to be believed

Filthy homeless encampment is set up INSIDE Chicago's O'Hare Airport, with vagrants now living next to baggage belts in crime-ridden Windy City
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11752429/Filthy-homeless-encampment-set-INSIDE-Chicagos-OHare-Airport.html

Comment on another forum to the above

"Is it a homeless encampment, or Southwest customers waiting for a flight?"
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2023, 01:20:19 PM »
Maybe it isn't happening in those places, but here in KC there's a lot of apartment construction going on.  Seemed to be same out in Colorado.  Of course, they are all billed as "luxury apartments", but it's in increase in housing space none the less.  I mostly chalk it up to young people being generally fiscally unable to enter the single family home market until later in life.

Also, as zahc noted, shanty towns and the like isn't new to america from a longer term perspective.  I sometimes wonder if we really just had an exceptional period post war.  The rest of the world's infrastructure and manufacturing capacity had been severely degraded by war, but in the mainland US Americans had been building out industrial capacity for the war effort at a blistering pace.  Post war foreign markets needed everything, and the US was in the position to provide it with oodles of industrial capitol now idle.  Lots of jobs offered low unemployment and a high standard of living.

All of that started to buckle as decades passed and other countries started coming online.  India, China, Mexico, etc were able to undercut US production costs by paying it's-a-lot-better-than-substance-farming wages, but no where near what US workers demanded.

And so, the post war boom over, we are gliding back towards the normal state of affairs.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 02:55:45 PM »
Apropos of that, Developing World Problems in the USA

and a column with concrete examples.

I was able to browse this article earlier.  I am not sure if a lot of what this guy mentions really add up to anything.  A lot of I could chalk up to small businesses being cheap and often run by people from the 3rd world who are also cheap.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 08:20:30 AM »
A few years ago I watched an interesting BBC video- a wealthy man invited a homeless couple to live in his rental property.  The man appeared to have some sort of disability; the wife did not.  They seemed like perfectly nice people.  In the year that they lived in the apartment they made no effort to find work (the man said he did not want to lose his benefits).  They would sometimes go out and sleep on the sidewalk for old times sake, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45rw2N7sOqg

I know a woman who invited a homeless woman to live with her also.  It did not go well.

Some percentage of the long term homeless are just pathologically lazy.  I suspect the rest are mostly addicts or mentally ill.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2023, 09:09:16 AM »
The city of Austin, TX has been buying up old hotels as future "homeless housing" facilities. Of course, they have to be upgraded and updated first, the main (but unspoken) reason being that public works projects are a GREAT way to convert public funds into private profits.

They get very, very angry when someone dares ask the question "When the new residents trash the shiny upgraded building, who's going to clean up the filthy new superfund site?"

Some years back Austin had an "affordable housing" initiative and invited a lot of local builders to attend a series of meetings with the city in an effort to get them to sign on to the program. In short order, most of the builders walked out, and AFAIK, none signed on. The gist of a brief interview with a couple of the walkouts was that the city paperwork requirements were onerous, the mandatory features were expensive, and the selling price limitations would require them to sell at a loss.

The city was immovable, and heavily criticized the builders for not agreeing to be fleeced.