Author Topic: Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco  (Read 15223 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
Historically, they did open surgery on babies without any anesthetic because of the same misconception that babies don't feel pain.

It's been quite a while since the medical community as a whole realized their error and now use anesthetic for surgeries and other painful procedures, including circumcision.

I generally look down on weasel words like "Historically".  You get to assert that something in the past is still happening today, but you get to fall back on "No, I meant in the past" if confronted about it.  Not speaking to you specifically, PTK.  Just the person who you are quoting, who was able to mislead you.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

brimic

• friends
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
I guess I can blame all of my personality flaws on the emotional scarring (and don't forget physical) I suffered almost 40 years ago. Maybe I'll commit a heinous crime and find a lawyer to use the 'circumcision' defense. ;/

The arguments for and against aren't much more than a chevy vs ford argument.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »
It's been quite a while since the medical community as a whole realized their error and now use anesthetic for surgeries and other painful procedures, including circumcision.

Yep.  When my son had it done they used novacain or something similar.  He was by far more upset about being cold while they did it than any pain from the procedure.  Had the room been warmer he might well have not been bothered at all.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
Yep.  When my son had it done they used novacain or something similar.  He was by far more upset about being cold while they did it than any pain from the procedure.  Had the room been warmer he might well have not been bothered at all.

I didn't watch when my son had his done, but nowadays they have really good anethetics.
I had a cyst taken out of my back a few years ago- they rubbed some sort of cream on it before injecting the novacaine- I never felt a thing:)  My sone had a big mole removed last year on his head that required 30-some stitches in the end, he never felt anything either during the numbing process.

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
My wager is on this dispute being about one thing: sexual pleasure preferences by gay men.

Ditto.  Angst-ridden whinging from the San Fran passive-aggressive crowd with unresolved parental issues.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »
Ditto.  Angst-ridden whinging from the San Fran passive-aggressive crowd with unresolved parental issues
...and snoodling.

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
...and snoodling.

Quite the variety in definition of that term, brimic. :lol:

NSFW.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snoodling
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
Because you said so. I see. Really, it's not possible to remove a large part of the penis and assert that there is "no impact on function".  It's just absurd to think that.

Well, we know for certain that particular populations have 100% of the men circumcised, yet have significantly higher birth rates than the population as a whole.  I think that is a good indication of fully functioning junk.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that those population beat the birth rate of the pro-ban voters by a whole lot.

My wager is on this dispute being about one thing: sexual pleasure preferences by gay men.

Ditto.  Angst-ridden whinging from the San Fran passive-aggressive crowd with unresolved parental issues.

Very likely.  Heck, IIRC, there is even a pro-chomo party in one of the euro countries.  There are some very odd occurrences when the bents concentrate and vote en bloc.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
Well, we know for certain that particular populations have 100% of the men circumcised, yet have significantly higher birth rates than the population as a whole.

Are birth rates lower in areas that practice female genital mutilation? Are you saying that any cosmetic genital modification, no matter how painful or drastic, is ok as long as there is no impact on fertility?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Are birth rates lower in areas that practice female genital mutilation? Are you saying that any cosmetic genital modification, no matter how painful or drastic, is ok as long as there is no impact on fertility

Read the post I responded to (which I quoted) and you might find the context enlightening.

Meanwhile, you get the following:
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »

The arguments for and against aren't much more than a chevy vs ford argument.

Yes forcibly removing a portion of another persons genitalia without their consent is obviously analogous to debates about the differences of automobiles.

Well, we know for certain that particular populations have 100% of the men circumcised, yet have significantly higher birth rates than the population as a whole.  I think that is a good indication of fully functioning junk.  I'd bet dollars to donuts that those population beat the birth rate of the pro-ban voters by a whole lot.

I have a feeling that his and your definitions of function are different.
Look, tiny text!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
Yes forcibly removing a portion of another persons genitalia without their consent is obviously analogous to debates about the differences of automobiles.
..or forcibly requiring them to eat healthy foods, or forcibly keeping them from playing in the highway...

Barack Obama

PTK

• friends
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
..or forcibly requiring them to eat healthy foods, or forcibly keeping them from playing in the highway...

Your analogy is slightly flawed; it is akin to putting up a measure making it illegal for a parent to force a child to play in traffic.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
Your analogy is slightly flawed; it is akin to putting up a measure making it illegal for a parent to force a child to play in traffic.
Nope. I'm saying it would be like making a law to prevent parents from forcibly not allowing their kids to play in the highway.
The bigger analogy is that the SF law would prevent parents from doing what they thought was correct to protect their kids., whether it be for health or religeious purposes.
Its funny how libertarians can in the same sentence say its a women's choice to have her child forceably aborted against his will, but a father who insists that his son be circumcised after birth is somehow breaking some sort of sacred moral code 'forcing someone else to to do something against their will.'

Complete logical disconnect.

Barack Obama

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »
Except a fetus is a not a child. In modern times the health protections of circumcision are tenuous at best.

As to religious reasons, at what point as a society do we say your beliefs are wrong and we are not going to allow their practice? If it's ok to chop off a part of an infant boys penis is it ok to do the equivalent to a female? Stoning for adultery? Chucking virgins into the volcano to appease the gods?
Look, tiny text!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
Parents are forced to make decisions aginast thier childrens consent everyday. 

For a young boy, circumcision leads to an easier to clean penis.  I can't get my kid to reliably wash between his toes, imagine if he had a full foreskin. 
Now, my questoin lies in the actual method of circumcision.  My boy had a ring placed on his forskin that caused it to fall off after a few days.  No scissors no pain no blood he didn't notice a thing. 

Worked just fine.

Totally necessary? Probably not. 
But again, I wonder about the methodolgy.  We won't hang convicted criminals sentanced to death because it might hurt them.  Why do we use a pair of scissors on a newborns penis? 

Not to titilate this thread...I'm fully circucised, and I have no complaints when it comes to sensation.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »

Healthy foods are an excellent analogy.

Who decides what foods are "healthy"?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
From some of the stuff posted here, it's a wonder how people manage to populate the countries where circumcision is not traditional, what with the horrible diseases and dirt... If I ever start up a punk band I will call it "The Deadly Foreskins".

Also, I have apparently not kept up with homosexual practices as well as some people. I have never heard of snoodling. Not that I really needed to know about it.

Yes, parents make choices. Most of those choices don't involve inflicting pain on someone unable to understand what is happening and why. With regard to medical procedures, circumcision isn't exactly life-saving surgery. Nobody died from having a foreskin.  It may be beneficial(and I don't really care if it is or not),  but as far as I know there isn't any change to the supposed benefits if it's done at some later date. You know, when the owner of the body part in question can make a choice. If it isn't a big deal to a baby, it shouldn't be a big deal later, right?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:53:40 PM by White Horseradish »
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

PTK

• friends
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
Slight correction, baby boys have indeed died from circumcision, about 117 die in the USA each year from the procedure.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »
Slight correction, baby boys have indeed died from circumcision, about 117 die in the USA each year from the procedure.
Eh. I misspoke. What I meant is that not having a circumcision won't kill you. Fixed it now.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
Eh. I misspoke. What I meant is that not having a circumcision won't kill you. Fixed it now

Oh for cryin out loud.  Sure it can.  It can lead to infections, which can lead to death.  Anyone want to dig up a mortality rate for infections?  Better do it for all ages, as there's no telling when that infection will kick in. (Damn nursing homes) Then cross reference it by original infection site.

There were 4.1 million live births in 2005 (the latest year I easily found numbers for).  There's a term for 117 deaths out of 2,069,174 male births. it's called statistically insignificant.

Where does this reflex Americans seem to have to legislate every damn thing come from?

Circumcision Threads = Abortion Threads that men can be emotionally invested in.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
Oh for cryin out loud.  Sure it can.  It can lead to infections, which can lead to death.  
That's a perfect example of the ridiculous hyperbole I was talking about.  It's a wonder how all those places where it's not a tradition manage to stay populated. Like, say, the heavily Catholic Spanish-speaking countries. Or the whole non-Jewish population of Europe over most of it's history.

Now, since you seem to be well-versed in statistics, just how many cases of fatal infection a year are attributed to something that lives under the foreskin? Is that number statistically significant?

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
Perhaps my sarcasm was unclear.

Of course it's hyperbole.  My point was so is "OMG!! boys die from getting snipped!!!!"

I'm thinking that BOTH numbers are statistically insignificant.  I would contend that, outside of freak occurrences LESS likely then being hit buy lightning, Male circumcision has no real effect on long term health or happiness of the child.  Any small effect it might have is rendered immeasurable and unknown by the effects of the rest of his childhood.

So lacking any non-hysterical evidence either way why can't we just mind our own damn business?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
Hear, hear! :)

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Yes, parents make choices. Most of those choices don't involve inflicting pain on someone unable to understand what is happening and why.

Don't have kids yet, do you? 

Otherwise you would not have written that ^^^.

Most?  Maybe.  Many?  No doubt.  Likely a minimum of one per day, for even the most angelic, obedient child.  An ornery, headstrong child will likely have their parents make such a choice for them every hour or so.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton