Author Topic: Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco  (Read 15224 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Voting to ban male circumcision in San Francisco
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »
Don't have kids yet, do you? 
Actually, I do. They are 8 and 10.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
Eh. I misspoke. What I meant is that not having a circumcision won't kill you. Fixed it now.

In a nation of 300 million people where must be at least a few horrific lathe accidents amongst the nudist woodworkers.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
Good grief people, hyperbole much?  There are painless ways to perform circumcision that do not involve the actual cutting of tissue.  These methods have been in use going back at least 30 years if not longer.  It doesn't help your anti-circumcision arguments to get all out of breath over, "OMG!!! There's cutting and blood and pain and screaming and stuff!!!"
As to the actual necessity of circumcision, I hold no real opinion at this point.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
And yet cutting is still widely used among those individuals who do it for religious reasons.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
Causing unnecessary pain to babies doesn't seem like a very good idea.
Plus Shooting Student/deselby is for it, he hates babies. >:D
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
Figured they'd be smegma lovers.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
Good grief people, hyperbole much?  There are painless ways to perform circumcision that do not involve the actual cutting of tissue.  These methods have been in use going back at least 30 years if not longer.  It doesn't help your anti-circumcision arguments to get all out of breath over, "OMG!!! There's cutting and blood and pain and screaming and stuff!!!"
As to the actual necessity of circumcision, I hold no real opinion at this point.
Oh sure, death from foreskin infection and gay conspiracy are so much closer to reality...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 12:25:06 AM »
Oh sure, death from foreskin infection and gay conspiracy are so much closer to reality...

Wasn't Hitler gay?  And part of a conspiracy?  And, uh, "unshorn?"

I rest my case.  =D

[Any such thing as a Godwin smiley?]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »

I don't see anyone seriously proposing that here.  I believe it was highlighted more as the equivalent risk (ie, very low) to the risk of complications from circumcision.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2011, 03:51:28 AM »

What the heck are you rambling about?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2011, 07:38:20 AM »
What the heck are you rambling about?
Me?

Oh for cryin out loud.  Sure it can.  It can lead to infections, which can lead to death.  Anyone want to dig up a mortality rate for infections?  Better do it for all ages, as there's no telling when that infection will kick in. (Damn nursing homes) Then cross reference it by original infection site.
My wager is on this dispute being about one thing: sexual pleasure preferences by gay men.

Robert A Heinlein

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
Okay, that post by dogmush is exactly what I described - illustrating that there are improbable consequences on the other side as well.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”