Author Topic: Taliban raid on Camp Bastion and loss of Harriers  (Read 17848 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Taliban raid on Camp Bastion and loss of Harriers
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
We invaded a country and the locals are resisting.  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
Hell yeah we invaded a &*$^%^& country that harbored AQ that ATTACKED US!!!`

Maybe we should send countries that attack us sympathy cards. :mad: :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »

Maybe we should send countries that attack us sympathy cards. :mad: :facepalm:

Incorrect.

We invaded a country that borders Iran.  OK, we invaded 2 countries that border Iran.

Our entire Middle East game plan is focused on Iran, and has been since 2001.  Maybe earlier.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out why we are so surprised that our enemies fight back  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »

Without getting into whether or not the invasion was justified, it still seems like kind of a no brainer that if you invade a country, the folks that live there might object.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »
Without getting into whether or not the invasion was justified, it still seems like kind of a no brainer that if you invade a country, the folks that live there might object.

But we're Americans!

Don't they know that we come in peace ?  =D

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
"We came, we saw, He died!"- Hillary Clinton

Oh wait, that's Libya.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
Incorrect.

We invaded a country that borders Iran.  OK, we invaded 2 countries that border Iran.

Our entire Middle East game plan is focused on Iran, and has been since 2001.  Maybe earlier.

You get this stuff off of Alex Jones website?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
Just because I don't subscribe to "NeoCon Warmonger Quarterly?"  Now I'm an Infowars troofer?

OK, whatever.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »

Sure, but somehow that misses the point.  
Insurgents are sneaking in and experiencing some degree of success blowing up attack aircraft and such.  Sure I expect this -- but I also expect our guys to be better at stopping it.
Obama is proclaiming wonderful things are happening in the mideast and in A'stan & Iraq.   Great.  We're scheduled to go away by 2014.  OK, fine.  
And I have this dire feeling that the day after we're gone the Taliban will come charging back into A'stan from Pakistan and take over again and all of what we've done will be for nought, all our casualties there will have been for nothing.
And Obama will proclaim victory.
And apologize.....again. [barf]

What the h*** is the point of going to war against a force that caused buillions of dollars in damage to your country and slaughtered 2,973 human beings and not utterly destroying them so they can't get up, dust themselves off, and repeat the ****** all over again? >:D :mad: :mad:

And I don't know why China or Russia or even Iran should fear us if we don't even give a _______ about winning a war. [barf]

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Just because I don't subscribe to "NeoCon Warmonger Quarterly?"  Now I'm an Infowars troofer?

OK, whatever.

Please.....don't act so hurt.    It really doesn't become you.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
Insurgents are sneaking in and experiencing some degree of success blowing up attack aircraft and such.  Sure I expect this -- but I also expect our guys to be better at stopping it.
Obama is proclaiming wonderful things are happening in the mideast and in A'stan & Iraq.   Great.  We're scheduled to go away by 2014.  OK, fine. 
And I have this dire feeling that the day after we're gone the Taliban will come charging back into A'stan from Pakistan and take over again and all of what we've done will be for nought, all our casualties there will have been for nothing.

What the h*** is the point of going to war against a force that caused buillions of dollars in damage to your country and slaughtered 2,973 human beings and not utterly destroying them so they can't get up, dust themselves off, and repeat the ****** all over again? >:D :mad: :mad:

And I don't know why China or Russia or even Iran should fear us if we don't even give a _______ about winning a war. [barf]

Yes. That is what is going to happen, that is what IS happening.

and...

At this point in time, do you still believe it ever was all about "getting terrorists" and protecting America?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
Insurgents are sneaking in and experiencing some degree of success blowing up attack aircraft and such.  Sure I expect this -- but I also expect our guys to be better at stopping it.
Obama is proclaiming wonderful things are happening in the mideast and in A'stan & Iraq.   Great.  We're scheduled to go away by 2014.  OK, fine.  

Dude, you're about 4 years behind the rest of the country in these questions.

stuck in full auto since birth

Find the selective fire switch.  Conserve ammo.  Marksmanship, not suppression.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:37 PM »
If we're going to build nations then fine. Let's build the damn nations. I think the British and the Roman Empires would be good examples to follow.

Failing that, let's not throw away lives and treasure invading every sand pit where the locals don't like us aka all of them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
If we're going to build nations then fine. Let's build the damn nations. I think the British and the Roman Empires would be good examples to follow.

Failing that, let's not throw away lives and treasure invading every sand pit where the locals don't like us aka all of them.

This x 80.  This half-assed stuff we're doing serves no useful purpose, and HURTS us.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
To do nation-building, you must be willing - not so much to kill more people, but to do like the British did in Kipling's time: decide firmly, as a society, "our culture is better and by God we are going to impose it."

Unfortunately, that is no longer acceptable today, and indeed seen as a form of bigotry.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
Dude, you're about 4 years behind the rest of the country in these questions.
:facepalm:

Really?  Seems like I've been talking like that four about ..... four years.   

Quote from: TommyGunn
stuck in full auto since birth
Find the selective fire switch.  Conserve ammo.  Marksmanship, not suppression.
???

Oh...you take tag lines seriously.  :P

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »

At this point in time, do you still believe it ever was all about "getting terrorists" and protecting America?

When the war started I did.   
God knows what Obama thinks he's doing.   I don't think Obama knows what Obama is doing. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
To do nation-building, you must be willing - not so much to kill more people, but to do like the British did in Kipling's time: decide firmly, as a society, "our culture is better and by God we are going to impose it."

Unfortunately, that is no longer acceptable today, and indeed seen as a form of bigotry.

Yeah, I have no illusions we'll actually do it. I just think it's the only way it'd work.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
Yeah, I have no illusions we'll actually do it. I just think it's the only way it'd work.

Even that wouldn't work - look at the British now.  They figured out early on that local clients are feasible to administer whereas direct imposition is prohibitively expensive.  That's why they still profit from Kuwait but got spanked throughout Africa.

Even "threatening extermination" isn't viable anymore - there are too many nations that can exterminate us, so we can't be sending the message that we'll do it to them if they cross us.  That makes the math on deciding to preemptively strike too attractive.

Military force can't reorganize a society - ideas can, but we don't have any ideas that would be particularly sane for the locals to adopt.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »
I'm sorry that you only understand military force as 'threatening people with extermination', De Selby.

Military force has been excellent at reorganizing the hell out of Southern society and ending slavery, and at ending Nazism and Japanese militarism.

And if you think we don't have any worthwhile ideas, I am genuinely sorry for you.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50:18 AM »
I'm sorry that you only understand military force as 'threatening people with extermination', De Selby.

Military force has been excellent at reorganizing the hell out of Southern society and ending slavery, and at ending Nazism and Japanese militarism.

And if you think we don't have any worthwhile ideas, I am genuinely sorry for you.

Micro, how exactly did military force reorganize southern society????  De facto slavery and segregation continued on for a solid hundred years following the war.   Changing political institutions was done quite rapidly in Afghanistan and Iraq - look how much good that did.

We have great ideas for ourselves - the problem is that our ideas for Iraqis and Afghanis aren't the same.  The idea for them is to act as client states that respond to US domestic interests.  That's not going to change cultures, and it actually discredits our very good ideas about personal liberty and political freedoms - people who espouse those views get written off as propagandists who just want to implement a client state, which indeed many of them are.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 02:39:50 AM »
No.

The Recosntructionists did quite some work for the blacks right up until 1876, and even later Southern racism had its ups and downs (for example, mass transit at first refused to segregate blacks). None of it even approached the horror that is being physically owned by another person.

We have great ideas for ourselves - the problem is that our ideas for Iraqis and Afghanis aren't the same.  The idea for them is to act as client states that respond to US domestic interests.  That's not going to change cultures, and it actually discredits our very good ideas about personal liberty and political freedoms - people who espouse those views get written off as propagandists who just want to implement a client state, which indeed many of them are.

This is mostly because 'foreign policy expert' is basically a euphemism for 'Cthulhu'.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
De Selby, as someone who has personal experience with the South within the time period you assert ( up until 1965, by my calculation), let inform you and anyone who might have read your opinion.

You don't have a bleeping CLUE what you're talking about.  Was discrimination bad?  Yes.  Were blacks routinely denied their rights?  Yes.  Does this compare to chattel slavery?  Abso-frickin'-lutely NOT, and you trivialize the abomination of slavery by drawing any equivalency.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
De Selby, as someone who has personal experience with the South within the time period you assert ( up until 1965, by my calculation), let inform you and anyone who might have read your opinion.

You don't have a bleeping CLUE what you're talking about.  Was discrimination bad?  Yes.  Were blacks routinely denied their rights?  Yes.  Does this compare to chattel slavery?  Abso-frickin'-lutely NOT, and you trivialize the abomination of slavery by drawing any equivalency.

But, but, but, but....the South is EVIL! At least one Canadian and a multitude of Yankees have said so in songs, so it must be true! Just as colonialism is inherently evil, having zero benefit to the colonials.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch