Author Topic: Taliban raid on Camp Bastion and loss of Harriers  (Read 17846 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Taliban raid on Camp Bastion and loss of Harriers
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Don't hold your breath for this war to be persecuted in a fashion with winning it being the goal.  Hasn't been the case since its inception.

That is not even possible because nobody even has a straight clue of how to define "victory".
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
That is not even possible because nobody even has a straight clue of how to define "victory".

We actually achieved the defined goals of victory quickly, that is overthrowing the taliban and installing a quasi-elected government.  But beyond that, the insurgent campagin continues.  Pursuing the insurgents into the countries that are harboring them (especially Pakistan) unfettered would be the only way to "win" any more.  Instead, we pussy foot around and the insurgents continue to bleed us.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
This.  Let them rise up and overthrow their own oppressors.  If we really feel like getting involved, crates of surplus weapons and ammo can be airdropped cheap.

And bikinis for the wimmen  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
And bikinis for the wimmen  =D

They would make their pubescent boys wear the bikinis.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:33 AM »
This.  Let them rise up and overthrow their own oppressors.  If we really feel like getting involved, crates of surplus weapons and ammo can be airdropped cheap.

We did this once. It resulted in the Taliban taking power

Read Ghost Wars. It'll make you face palm all day
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2012, 05:37:01 AM »
We did this once. It resulted in the Taliban taking power

Read Ghost Wars. It'll make you face palm all day
I'm all for Jamis' plan. But with the cavat, that we often overlook, of vetting and making sure the people you are supporting aren't as bad or worse then the people they are shooting.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »
I'm all for Jamis' plan. But with the cavat, that we often overlook, of vetting and making sure the people you are supporting aren't as bad or worse then the people they are shooting.

This, of course.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »

But we seem incapable of this historically. I suspect that's a combination of general cultural bias and specific failures by the type of people (i.e. career diplomats) who do the vetting. A Christopher Stevens is an unfortunately rare bird in U.S. diplomatic service already, and then we sacrifice his kind to political expediency.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
But we seem incapable of this historically. I suspect that's a combination of general cultural bias and specific failures by the type of people (i.e. career diplomats) who do the vetting. A Christopher Stevens is an unfortunately rare bird in U.S. diplomatic service already, and then we sacrifice his kind to political expediency.

This

We had all the info we needed to KNOW who the moderate faction was when the soviets were there. We threw them under the bus because the radicals were stronger against the soviets, who were on their way out anyways.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
This

We had all the info we needed to KNOW who the moderate faction was when the soviets were there. We threw them under the bus because the radicals were stronger against the soviets, who were on their way out anyways.

I've read in several sources that the US mostly supported the Northern Alliance/Massood, is that not true?

Either way, in the Cold War the US often supported some truly nasty factions because people saw Soviet victory in the Cold War as the worst thing that could possibly happen. Today we know the USSR was inherently weak and about to collapse, but back then most people expected it to last for generations.  Look at the reaction of American press to Goldwater's idea that America should try and bring freedom (that is, capitalism) to the Soviets - capitalism in Russia was ridiculed as a completely impossible notion.

But today the notion that 'we should support awful factions because they side with us' no longer has a moral justification, and the foreign policy experts are running about like headless chickens to try and come up with a new ideology to justify their meddling.

"Spread democracy" doesn't work because then people will ask why America is backing people like Mubarak or the Saudi government- and because an ideology of spreading freedom imposes moral constraints that these people are not willing to operate under.

"Defending against radical Islam" is better for their worldview because most Westerners are completely ignorant about the different branches of Islam and do not want to learn. At any time any faction can be labeled as "radical" or "moderate" Muslims at the whim of a newspaper editor.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
I've read in several sources that the US mostly supported the Northern Alliance/Massood, is that not true?

Either way, in the Cold War the US often supported some truly nasty factions because people saw Soviet victory in the Cold War as the worst thing that could possibly happen. Today we know the USSR was inherently weak and about to collapse, but back then most people expected it to last for generations.  Look at the reaction of American press to Goldwater's idea that America should try and bring freedom (that is, capitalism) to the Soviets - capitalism in Russia was ridiculed as a completely impossible notion.

But today the notion that 'we should support awful factions because they side with us' no longer has a moral justification, and the foreign policy experts are running about like headless chickens to try and come up with a new ideology to justify their meddling.

"Spread democracy" doesn't work because then people will ask why America is backing people like Mubarak or the Saudi government- and because an ideology of spreading freedom imposes moral constraints that these people are not willing to operate under.

"Defending against radical Islam" is better for their worldview because most Westerners are completely ignorant about the different branches of Islam and do not want to learn. At any time any faction can be labeled as "radical" or "moderate" Muslims at the whim of a newspaper editor.

For a while. Then we started playing games and supporting multiple sides, and allowed some very bad things to happen to the "good guys"

I forget all the details... I highly recommend that book i mentioned, Ghost wars. Also "The Human Factor"
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog