Author Topic: Feds Sieze Land Rover  (Read 18028 times)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
I had made initial contact with Aaron, the dealer central to the investigation, several years ago when the 25 yo trucks became legal.  My spidey sense told me to run run away, because basic questions were unanswered.  The land rover community knew he was running a racket, and some folks just didn't want to believe they couldn't have what they wanted.  Is well known among rover enthusiasts that we can't have a diesel rover unless.we do the conversion to a truck that was imported as stock.  I wanted one, read the rules, saw the limitations and moved on.

The quip about the oil stain is a British car joke.  Believe me when I say you don't want to understand.

The seizures I read about were all knock, serve and tow.  Supposedly the seized cars all came through the same dealer, Aaron.  He went off the grid about the same time I sold.my rover.

In my opinion we have a.duty when it comes to laws.  We either follow them, or change them.  I f I choose to break them, the consequences are mine.    The owners of the illegal vehicles lusted forbidden fruit.  The snake bit them.
7-11 was a part time job.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
Next they'll be going after black market beagles.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
Do you have pictures?  I don't mean to question the ladies narrative but wearing vests covers a great deal of ground. In the rural area I live in they all wear vests all the time and all warrant service they usually heavy up. It's kinda odd on occasion they folks are not friendly and the warrant service is for something minor but look and behold when they arrive they find folks up to more serious shenanigans.
Did they go in someone's house? Or did they grab her car from driveway?  Shoot even the high sunblock folk like you take your rides serious. Might shoot to protect their whip.

You don't quit, do you?

We let process servers deliver divorce decrees and RO's.  Two uniformed officers and a tow truck driver should be the normal for this seizure without plain knowledge of another threat.  This is why the police state is what is is. 
She describes a swat raid.  To seize a car. 
Anything to kiss the police state's rear end, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
Next they'll be going after black market beagles.

I hear they have smallish oil stains.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 08:21:36 PM »
You don't quit, do you?

We let process servers deliver divorce decrees and RO's.  Two uniformed officers and a tow truck driver should be the normal for this seizure without plain knowledge of another threat.  This is why the police state is what is is. 
She describes a swat raid.  To seize a car. 
Anything to kiss the police state's rear end, though.

That's a no? How many folks served her? And the other 40 folks? Are any of them claiming a swat team? Or was it knock serve and tow everywhere else but her house?
Perish the thought but a woman might exaggerate a bit in my experience if she's miffed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »
That's a no? How many folks served her? And the other 40 folks? Are any of them claiming a swat team? Or was it knock serve and tow everywhere else but her house?
Perish the thought but a woman might exaggerate a bit in my experience if she's miffed

;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »
For example any of the folks mentioned in this article making those claims? Even the guy in the same state?
http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758

Or then there's video where the woman describes them coming and knocking on her door. And to quote the reporter "almost like a raid"
http://dailysignal.com/2014/08/01/federal-agents-storm-couples-property-seize-60000-car-violating-emissions-standards/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
When Land Rovers are outlawed, only outlaws will have Land Rovers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
The gummint's arguments ring hollow.

If Land Rover never produced galvanized frames, then how does the presence of galvanizing on the frame prove that it's newer than 2000?

As for the "impossibility" of retrofitting the diesel into the newer chassis, that's just bull. People in the U.S. are shoehorning diesel engines into the craziest of vehicles -- in some cases just to prove they can do it. A number of years ago my wife and I visited Macchu Picchu in Peru. One taxi we rode in was a Ford Crown Victoria of fairly recent vintage. So I was quite intrigued to see that it had a manual transmission, and not a floor shift -- it was three-on-the-tree. And the engine sounded and smelled suspiciously like a diesel. So I asked the woman who owned and drove it, and she confirmed that because diesel is so much cheaper than gasoline in Peru, she had a Nissan diesel engine installed.

"It can't be done" is all it takes to get automotive types fired up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:59:52 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 01:54:38 AM »
I hear they have smallish oil stains.

That's not oil.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
As for the "impossibility" of retrofitting the diesel into the newer chassis, that's just bull. People in the U.S. are shoehorning diesel engines into the craziest of vehicles -- in some cases just to prove they can do it.

Yup.  There used to be a guy around here who made pretty decent money fabricating motor mounts and adapter plates to swap incompatible engines.

I think the most impressive was a Caterpillar engine in an old Ford 4WD.  The hood was pretty much just a ring around the 1/3 or so of the engine that stuck up, but they had it up and running for the tractor pulls.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »
In my opinion we have a.duty when it comes to laws.  We either follow them, or change them.  I f I choose to break them, the consequences are mine.    The owners of the illegal vehicles lusted forbidden fruit.  The snake bit them.

Meh.

I assign that standard to the Constitution, and nothing lower.

On anything lower, I have zero issues with folks breaking the law if the law is immoral, unethical or just plain ridiculously and overwhelming stupid. There's an expression that should be applied to all laws, in addition to their Constitutional or other legal standing. If a defendant can legitimately say "Are you friggin excrementing me?" and the question is warranted, the law should be invalid. Oh yea, and maybe a mens rea test as well.

In a less legalistically corrupt state, I'd very much agree with you. But I'm too familiar with the law to respect it as much as you seem to do.
I just see the system as a) byzantine, b) systematically corrupt and c) virtually impervious to substantial or meaningful change.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
So, out of curiosity, what part of a car does the term "car" really apply to?  I mean, what's the equivalent of the lower receiver?  Obviously not the engine, since engine swaps are fairly common.

IOW, if I counted up all the parts in my car, went out and bought each individual part from a different junkyard specimen, and assembled them into a whole car, which part would the VIN come from?  Given that there are at least a few models and years with parts completely interchangeable, presumably the model name and year would also come from that part.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
So, out of curiosity, what part of a car does the term "car" really apply to?  I mean, what's the equivalent of the lower receiver?  Obviously not the engine, since engine swaps are fairly common.

IOW, if I counted up all the parts in my car, went out and bought each individual part from a different junkyard specimen, and assembled them into a whole car, which part would the VIN come from?  Given that there are at least a few models and years with parts completely interchangeable, presumably the model name and year would also come from that part.

Used to be the frame, IIRC.  Now the frame and body are all one piece (except for Land Rover and pickups, etc).

I'm not sure how they figure the pickups if you swap cabs  ???

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
Used to be the frame, IIRC.  Now the frame and body are all one piece (except for Land Rover and pickups, etc).

And not all frames are really one piece...and even if they are, I've seen plenty of cut-and-welded frames from putting together a front-end trashed and a rear-end trashed vehicle into one good one that were still on the road and doing fine tens of thousands of miles after the work was done. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »
And not all frames are really one piece...and even if they are, I've seen plenty of cut-and-welded frames from putting together a front-end trashed and a rear-end trashed vehicle into one good one that were still on the road and doing fine tens of thousands of miles after the work was done. 
Guy I used to work for wanted a different rear-end/suspension in his Peterbilt (also know as a PTRBLT  =D ) so he did it the easy way and just cut the truck in half and spliced in a different rear frame/axle/walking beam.

At one point I was considering putting a newer cab and front end on my old C-60 GMC to replace the rusting out cab.

And then there was Johnny Cash ... ;)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
If Land Rover never produced galvanized frames, then how does the presence of galvanizing on the frame prove that it's newer than 2000?

I thought it was the newer Defenders that were galvanized, but not the 25 y.o. ones. I'm no Land Rover expert or nothin' though, I don't give a *expletive deleted* about any cars made by the Brits. It's just what I've heard, that the galvanized frames is one hallmark of a newer Defender, while there are apparently minor differences in the frames that allow the production years to be determined.

Again, should it be illegal, no. Does it make any sense to allow an older vehicle in but not a newer more fuel efficient vehicle solely due to emissions regulations, no. Is it illegal to bring in such a vehicle, yes. You can holler till you are blue in the face about it but you ain't gonna change THAT fact.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:20:51 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
This isn't about illegal or legal inanimate objects, its about dispelling the quaint notion of private property ownership amongst the serf class.

The DHS buying billions  of rounds of ammunition- it was for training purposes mmkay.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 07:39:07 PM »
Anyone surprised by this action by the the DHS is behind the curve in understanding what 'fundamentally transforming America' means.

Americans  are close to the point where they will have to choose to nut up and start shooting the communist bastards or give up their birthright.

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
The DHS buying billions  of rounds of ammunition- it was for training purposes mmkay.

Oh Jesus Christ, not this *expletive deleted* again.

Americans  are close to the point where they will have to choose to nut up and start shooting the communist bastards or give up their birthright.

Feel free to go first...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 07:48:47 PM »
I am not hearing the hue and cry from the rover owners i'd expect. It make me wonder if the docs scam was an open secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
Wtf is dhs doing jerking off with ugly brit iron when we have a mfing immivasion on the border?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »
Oh Jesus Christ, not this *expletive deleted* again.

Feel free to go first...

Wake the *expletive deleted*ck up. This is no longer the 'merka you think it is.

Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
I wonder how long the bullets and 2800 mraps story will continue to bevrecycled

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
I am not hearing the hue and cry from the rover owners i'd expect. It make me wonder if the docs scam was an open secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe, but it seems it would be more so to people specifically aware of and looking to buy that vehicle, hence first time registrants at time of import who were looking for a loophole. If the story is accurate as to the woman being the fifth registrant, well, if I'm buying a vehicle that the seller had legally registered, and DMV lets me legally register it, how am I to know it was illegally imported?

Maybe she just wanted a diesel Land Rover and didn't know that particular model was verboten. There are tons of diesel Mercedes and Volkswagens in the country of various vintages. I would have no idea if one of them were illegal if I bought it, especially if it had a valid pink slip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."