Author Topic: Cruz Derangement Syndrome  (Read 12918 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Cruz Derangement Syndrome
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
If we're talking politics then that ain't chocolate.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
That's the real shame, the angry voters backing Trump... if they really wanted to "hurt" the beltway crowd, Cruz is who they want.

Good point.  Although not a big deal MSM news-wise, Gura's endorsement of him meant a lot to me.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
I really just don't buy Trump as an outsider.

He is an insider that is muscling in on the action.

After a lifetime of swimming in the same waters as the elite he realized he could school them at their own game.

I still say his campaign is a clinton Op.
There is no other way to explain the amount of left wing media attention he's getting.

Remember: The media also loved, and I mean LOVED McCain- up until the moment he got the nomination.
Once Trump gets the nomination, I think all of his skeletons, and there will be a lot of them, will be aired 24/7 up until the election.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:59 AM »
Cruz has a history of being on our side as an advocate of constitutional government; particularly noteworthy is his historic advocacy of our second amendment right.

Trump has a long history of not having a recognizable core belief system.

The establishment will probably breath a sigh of relief if Trump beats out Cruz. Trump they can make deals with, he isn't wedded to any rigid philosophy or system of morality. They will just need to sweeten the deal to get him to go along with the program.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
Cruz has a history of being on our side as an advocate of constitutional government; particularly noteworthy is his historic advocacy of our second amendment right.

Trump has a long history of not having a recognizable core belief system.

The establishment will probably breath a sigh of relief if Trump beats out Cruz. Trump they can make deals with, he isn't wedded to any rigid philosophy or system of morality. They will just need to sweeten the deal to get him to go along with the program.

Yes, while Cruz stands stalwart, telling GOPe and the moneybags, "No!  Send me not your filthy lucre by which you seek me to betray mine oaths.  I will stand, with manly firmness, for my beliefs.  Even, yea, as you call in the loans the repayment of which would be my ruin, my children's peonage, and cause my wife to forego forever the delightful confines of Neiman Marcus for the vulgar aisles of Costco."

Again, not getting the reason many folk are in favor of Trump.  And that ideology in American politics is yielding to nationalism.  A nationalistic GOP or GOP-replacement is much more hateful to GOPe and the donor class than yet another ineffectual ideologue who throws boob bait for Bubba while doing the will of the donor class.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
At least Cruz doesn't have a history of supporting Nancy Pelosi and Hilary Clinton. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »
At least Cruz doesn't have a history of supporting Nancy Pelosi and Hilary Clinton. 

Pretty much to be expected that businessfolk who engage in business regulated by gov't will schmooze folks in gov't.  IIRC, Trump even PAID HR Clinton to attend her daughter's wedding.  Heck, I'll bet he has contributed $$$ to every mayor of NYC since he took over the family business.  Real estate & construction is one of those sectors where you get your hands dirty, in more than one way.

OTOH, Cruz has never had a real non-political/non-lawyerly job.  Certainly no job in an industry so heavily regulated by local, state, and fed.gov where it is necessary to interact with policritters regularly to get their approval to keep his business rolling.

I am not a "get a businessman to run the gov't" or a "run gov't along business principles" sort, but having a little experience outside gov't bureaucracy would be nice to see on Cruz's CV.  Business, military service, something other than gov't job-hopping.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »
Ah, a common symptom of CDS or TDS. Cruz is not to be trusted because he might sell out to a bank. Trump has already sold out, but that's OK.

So far, Cruz's "job-hopping" has been quite beneficial to us. I wish him Godspeed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
I find it truly laughable that there are people who believe that Trump with "blow up the GOPe".  Seriously?!?!?  You say that with a straight face??

Trump is the wheeler-dealer deal maker.  He'll sell out to the Beltway Establishment before he'd even swear the oath of office.

Yeah, he might build a wall, but he'll expand the H1B visa program, and create so many exceptions (and so little enforcement) that Trump's Wall will be a sieve.  Remember, he's a business man.  And once the US Chamber of Commerce (We Need Cheap Labor !!!), buttonholes him the wall will be a joke.

Yeah he might throw some out some bones to those that have pinned their hopes to him.  Make America Great Again, which sounds like Hope and Change, and we'll have to elect him to find out what that means.   As I posted on FB, this cycle's Trump voters where the two cycle ago Obama voters.   Blind to what Trump has said and done in the past, with his hand-waveium of now. 

And I find it odd that Cruz's minor deviations from Originalist Constitutional Conservativism are treated as major sins, while Trump's flip-flops and sudden "Conversion" to somewhat of a Conservative, is treated like Moses coming down from the mountain.

And if you think that Trump is more Christian than Cruz, I've got lot of Ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
I find it truly laughable that there are people who believe that Trump with "blow up the GOPe".  Seriously?!?!?  You say that with a straight face??

Trump is the wheeler-dealer deal maker.  He'll sell out to the Beltway Establishment before he'd even swear the oath of office.

Yeah, he might build a wall, but he'll expand the H1B visa program, and create so many exceptions (and so little enforcement) that Trump's Wall will be a sieve.  Remember, he's a business man.  And once the US Chamber of Commerce (We Need Cheap Labor !!!), buttonholes him the wall will be a joke.

Yeah he might throw some out some bones to those that have pinned their hopes to him.  Make America Great Again, which sounds like Hope and Change, and we'll have to elect him to find out what that means.   As I posted on FB, this cycle's Trump voters where the two cycle ago Obama voters.   Blind to what Trump has said and done in the past, with his hand-waveium of now. 

And I find it odd that Cruz's minor deviations from Originalist Constitutional Conservativism are treated as major sins, while Trump's flip-flops and sudden "Conversion" to somewhat of a Conservative, is treated like Moses coming down from the mountain.

And if you think that Trump is more Christian than Cruz, I've got lot of Ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Exit polling shows that this cycle's Trump voters were most likely to vote for Romney last go 'round.  I was surprised by that, but there you are.  For example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-wins-nevada-caucus_us_56cdaa7ae4b0ec6725e47950

That is about the only fact or objective data in the post.  As for the rest, I hope you get better:
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »
Exit polling shows that this cycle's Trump voters were most likely to vote for Romney last go 'round.  I was surprised by that, but there you are.  For example:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-wins-nevada-caucus_us_56cdaa7ae4b0ec6725e47950

That is about the only fact or objective data in the post.  As for the rest, I hope you get better:

All that shows is that Americans, and by that I mean a large percentage of them are easily duped.

There are a lot of people who are going to be very disappointed with Trump, if he gets elected at all.

I liked trump at first, but my BS meter is pegged with him, I'm just having a hard time with others not seeing it too.

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »

All that shows is that Americans, and by that I mean a large percentage of them are easily duped.

There are a lot of people who are going to be very disappointed with Trump, if he gets elected at all.

I liked trump at first, but my BS meter is pegged with him, I'm just having a hard time with others not seeing it too.

I'm an optimist, so I prefer to look on the bright side.

I expect the worst, so no matter what, I won't be disappointed by Trump and can only be pleasantly surprised.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »

Welcome to America, where we elected FDR four times in a row.

Trump is a political unknown, which is part of his allure to some.  For them, the roll of the dice beats the surety of continued status-quo with the Bush-Rubio-Cruz-Kasich-bot. 

Behind curtain #1 lies the same old kick in the jimmy.  Behind curtain #2 may be another kick in the jimmy...or a kiss on the cheek...or a rogering by a rampant ibex. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
You mean this trump?

Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
Welcome to America, where we elected FDR four times in a row.

Trump is a political unknown, which is part of his allure to some.  For them, the roll of the dice beats the surety of continued status-quo with the Bush-Rubio-Cruz-Kasich-bot.  

Behind curtain #1 lies the same old kick in the jimmy.  Behind curtain #2 may be another kick in the jimmy...or a kiss on the cheek...or a rogering by a rampant ibex.  

I was listening to Newt and he nailed it exactly. Trump might be just the thing to shake up Washington. OR he might be an unmitigated disaster. I'm not sure I can even lay odds- personally I put option two as greater than 50%.

In any case, he's a risk.  I don't trust him at all, and believe the risks he's lying are quite high, so I'd prefer not to take that risk.

Cruz is not a risk(at least, comparatively so.) He may be fully stymied by the Washington cartel, but his chances of being an unmitigated disaster are smaller.

Like most people, I'm risk averse, so I prefer Cruz. Much higher chance of success, but lower possible payout. (In terms of expected payout, he's WAY higher, but there is a chance Trump would shock the country into a return to constitutionalism and the rule of law. I just put that chance VERY low.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »
I was listening to Newt and he nailed it exactly. Trump might be just the thing to shake up Washington. OR he might be an unmitigated disaster. I'm not sure I can even lay odds- personally I put option two as greater than 50%.

Well, looking at it realistically from my current status, if we're looking at "burn this bitch down", Sanders would royally screw me and my retirement. Clinton would screw me. Trump might burn things down, but there's a higher probability that I'd be less negatively affected by anything Trump does, and there's at least a chance for a positive effect. There are no positives with Clinton or Sanders -- unless you consider a greater velocity heading towards the bottom, just to get things over with, a positive.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
Exit polling shows that this cycle's Trump voters were most likely to vote for Romney last go 'round.  I was surprised by that, but there you are.  For example:

I don't see anything in the article about Romney voters going for Trump. What I do see is that the article claims that Trump "disparaged" Latinos, and that Carson dropped out the race weeks ago.

Cruz has taken over HuffPo!!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »
I find it truly laughable that there are people who believe that Trump with "blow up the GOPe".  Seriously?!?!?  You say that with a straight face??

Trump is the wheeler-dealer deal maker.  He'll sell out to the Beltway Establishment before he'd even swear the oath of office.

Yeah, he might build a wall, but he'll expand the H1B visa program, and create so many exceptions (and so little enforcement) that Trump's Wall will be a sieve.  Remember, he's a business man.  And once the US Chamber of Commerce (We Need Cheap Labor !!!), buttonholes him the wall will be a joke.

Yeah he might throw some out some bones to those that have pinned their hopes to him.  Make America Great Again, which sounds like Hope and Change, and we'll have to elect him to find out what that means.   As I posted on FB, this cycle's Trump voters where the two cycle ago Obama voters.   Blind to what Trump has said and done in the past, with his hand-waveium of now.  

My opinion is if a politician was serious about illegal immigration there would be a focus of punishment on the types of businesses that hire undocumented workers. The talk of a wall is just to get votes.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »

In any case, he's a risk.  I don't trust him at all, and believe the risks he's lying are quite high, so I'd prefer not to take that risk.

Cruz is not a risk(at least, comparatively so.) He may be fully stymied by the Washington cartel, but his chances of being an unmitigated disaster are smaller.

Like most people, I'm risk averse, so I prefer Cruz. Much higher chance of success, but lower possible payout. (In terms of expected payout, he's WAY higher, but there is a chance Trump would shock the country into a return to constitutionalism and the rule of law. I just put that chance VERY low.)

I make similar calculations, with similar odds.  I judge the consequences of maintaining the status quo to be dire enough to roll the dice.  Even if the odds of success are not in our favor.  But, the odds most definitely are not in our favor and have not been for some time.

IMO, Cruz is merely status quo with more brains and better instincts.  I bring up evidence of his two-facedness not to indicate that he is some sort of monster, but that he is no different from any likely GOP candidate/nominee in the last several cycles.  Of course the Cruz partisans can not abide to see their angel sullied, so must accuse of being mentally ill those critics who give him the gimlet eye. 

Cruz is no demon.  He is Rubio with 30 more IQ points, more inner drive, and the ability to see and seize political opportunities.

I don't see anything in the article about Romney voters going for Trump.

Keep reading to the bottom.  I could not find the article I read with the better laid-out data, but it has bits here & there. 

I was a bit surprised by the Romney/Trump connection, but in retrospect maybe I ought not be.  Both made their $$$ in the northeast, both have past at odds with doctrinaire establishment conservatism(1), both wealthy businessmen. 

(1)

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »

I don't think Trump supporters are duped. I think they are pissed the *expletive deleted*ck off at the establishment. I know I am.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
IMO, Cruz is merely status quo with more brains and better instincts.  I bring up evidence of his two-facedness not to indicate that he is some sort of monster, but that he is no different from any likely GOP candidate/nominee in the last several cycles.  Of course the Cruz partisans can not abide to see their angel sullied, so must accuse of being mentally ill those critics who give him the gimlet eye. 

Oh stop.  ;/  No one thought that "Bush Derangement Syndrome" or "Obama Derangement Syndrome" were diagnoses of actual mental illness. 's funny. I actually started this thread after seeing a Trump supporter on another forum decrying the anti-Trump "hysteria" of Republicans that weren't all-in for the Donald.

Personally, it's not sullying the angel that bothers me, in and of itself. What boggles, what mystifies, what rankles; is that people like you and I have been saying for several years that we wanted the GOP to run an actual "small-government" or "conservative" or "real" Republican candidate. Yet here we are, staring at the closest to that we're likely to see in our lifetime, and some of us are tearing down the "angel," and instead pushing someone who is nowhere close to being that kind of Republican. Someone who's only recently begun pretending to be a Republican. I don't think reason explains that.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »

Oh stop.  ;/  No one thought that "Bush Derangement Syndrome" or "Obama Derangement Syndrome" were diagnoses of actual mental illness. 's funny. I actually started this thread after seeing a Trump supporter on another forum decrying the anti-Trump "hysteria" of Republicans that weren't all-in for the Donald.

Personally, it's not sullying the angel that bothers me, in and of itself. What boggles, what mystifies, what rankles; is that people like you and I have been saying for several years that we wanted the GOP to run an actual "small-government" or "conservative" or "real" Republican candidate. Yet here we are, staring at the closest to that we're likely to see in our lifetime, and some of us are tearing down the "angel," and instead pushing someone who is nowhere close to being that kind of Republican. Someone who's only recently begun pretending to be a Republican. I don't think reason explains that.

There's a lot of this cog-dis going round.

It was just a few years ago that Rubio was the crowning achievement of the Tea Party when they, or at least Tea Party-ish sentiments sent Crist packing in the primary.

Granted, he did a lot of damage to his credibility with the gang-of-8 fiasco, and he could have actually used it to recoup some of it by simply apologizing, and using it as an opportunity to point out Democrat duplicity on the issue, and that they can't be trusted, but still... now he's the leading GOPe candidate, and above and beyond that roo_ster is convinced Cruz is GOPe too. (shrug)

Honestly, I chalk it all up to the damage done to the entire American psyche the past eight years. All of us.  =(
I promise not to duck.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »
Cruz is nowhere near the "close enough" conservative. Not even in he same solar system. He is an establishment hack, albeit a young one, but still a hack.  If I vote, I will vote for the republican candidate, not for them, but against the democrat.

People are tired of the establishment. Establishment defined as BOTH political parties. Only difference between the Rs and Ds is the speed of the handbasket headed to hell;  the republicans take the Sunday drive while the democrats use the express lane.

I am to the point that we are past any solution that requires voting for / electing "whoever" to fix this country.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »
I don't think Trump supporters are duped. I think they are pissed the *expletive deleted*ck off at the establishment. I know I am.
Oh I get that, hence the reason why I cheered Trump early on. However, if you objectively look at Trump, there is no way you can come away believing his bullshit. He doesn't have a plan, he has platitudes, he tells you what you want to hear. He's mothing mire than right wing hopey-changey, with the actual right wing thing being questionable.

Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
Oh I get that, hence the reason why I cheered Trump early on. However, if you objectively look at Trump, there is no way you can come away believing his bullshit. He doesn't have a plan, he has platitudes, he tells you what you want to hear. He's mothing mire than right wing hopey-changey, with the actual right wing thing being questionable.

Never said I believed him or supported him. His bullshit is the same as the BS Cruz, Rubio, Carson and Kasich are spewing, just a different flavor.

Abraham Lincoln