Author Topic: What won't your dog eat ?  (Read 7407 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: What won't your dog eat ?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »
Capt. D's fish. :O :-X

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
Grapes.

A more funner thread would be "What has your dog eaten?"
7-11 was a part time job.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
Brussel sprouts.

This is a good thing.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
My brother's dog once powered through a case of Kit Kats I'd accidentally left out.  An hour into us staring at her horrified, waiting for her to drop dead, she started snuffling around looking for more.  :laugh:  The only two things she never ate were broccoli and McDonald's fries.  ???  Even knocked out a couple of beers once, and staggered around as lazily and happy as could be.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 06:38:53 PM »
I think the best part about Christmas is the dog or cat running around with tinsel hanging out of it's ***.

:lol:

HAHAHAHA I had forgotten that the dog we had growing up ate the tinsel off the tree.....

Yep, nothing says Christmas like a yard full of glittering dog *expletive deleted*it....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
My brother's dog once powered through a case of Kit Kats I'd accidentally left out.  An hour into us staring at her horrified, waiting for her to drop dead, she started snuffling around looking for more. 

Cheap candy bars have very little real chocolate in them.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »
Cheap candy bars have very little real chocolate in them.
These were real.  As in, gift-from-Ireland-where-chocolate-actually-has-real-coca-in-it real.  And it was a case.  As in, many.  :O
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
I love when my wife and daughter freak out as I give the dog a tiny piece of whatever chocolate it is I'm eating. "He could DIE!!"   :O

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »
I always wondered just how poisonous chocolate was for a dog, and came across this, which sounds pretty authoritive.

"Why chocolate poisons dogs and how to treat chocolate dog poisoning"

http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

Selected:
Knowing which chocolate is the most toxic is important, but leaves one wondering how much must be eaten to poison a dog. The list in this box should be helpful. Maybe you can clip it and post it on your refrigerator?

* White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
    * Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
    * Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
    * Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

Just as a public service kind of thing. 

Heh. "Chocolate dog poisoning."  I guess if you eat a big enough chocolate dog, you'll be poisoned, too.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:17:32 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »
For 15 years I ran around behind a 110 lb browndog that loved to chase birds and swim and bark at rabbits, but ignored squirrels.  His name was Jeep.  Middle-aged (mostly) women would ask "Is he a chocolate?" and I'd curmudgeonly reply "I don't know.  Would you like to taste him?"

Running him as a pup through the bottomlands in early winter, he flushed some turkey, and headed into the marsh.  When he got out, muddy, stinky, wet, I noticed him chewing on something.  I pulled the "stick" out of his mouth.  The stick was the tail of a flat, frozen muskrat.  The 'rat was halfway to his stomach when I got a hold of it.

A few years later, all the fat and hide and trimmings from a smoked ham were stuck in the nylon mesh bag that the ham came out of.  It was winter and I didn't want to walk all the way out to the trash bin, so I hung the bag on the outside doorknob for an hour, to deal with when I left for work.

An hour later the bag was gone.
Two months later it was in a pile of vomit on the porch.

Another time Jeep had bloody urine.  We followed him around with a cup, took it to the vet, had high white cells.  Antibiotic prescribed.
Repeat.

After a few iterations, he got x-rayed.  A perfect 3-1/2" sphere showed up in his gut. 
He lasted another 3 years until it dropped down and blocked him – vomiting undigested kibble, no poop.  The vet opened him up and took out the composite core of a hardball.  I still have it.  Maybe I'll post a photo.

Jeep lasted about two months after that surgery, couldn’t walk, and had much pain, so the vet came over to put him down.  He was on the couch (not a normal place for a dog at Tuco's house) and when the bell rang, Jeep barked, tried to stand and fell off the couch.  His tail wagged stupidly as the vet and assistant entered the room.  He took it like a man, no mess to clean up, dying right at the foot of the sofa.

Almost two years later I took his ashes to a grouse covey where, as a three year old, he scented, stalked and grabbed a grouse and brought it to my hand.  I saw the whole thing from 30 yards away.  It was the first bird of the season, payback for the mouthful of feathers he pulled out of a snowbank 9 months earlier.

Jeep ate some weird *expletive deleted*it.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
I went to a palce once where the owner had a glass case holding all the things his dog, a German Shepard, had eaten. I remember rocks, of course, but big ones, a huge metal nut and part of the bolt, and the brass end of a garden hose. IIRC it was the garden hose end that killed him...  =|

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Middle-aged (mostly) women would ask "Is he a chocolate?" and I'd curmudgeonly reply "I don't know.  Would you like to taste him?"

:D :D :D

Sounds like he was a great dog.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 09:55:12 AM »
:D :D :D

Sounds like he was a great dog.

Thanks, Dick.
He was.

I picked him out of a litter of 8 because he'd look me in the eye.
I needed a dog who'd demand I work with him.
I remember one winter (after the muskrat) working on marked retrieves in a snowy ball field.  
He didn't want to sit (can't blame him).  We rolled around in the snow and came to an understanding.

Years later, south of Newton, Iowa, Jeep was hunting with Pete, an iron headed long running english setter with a good nose.  
They tolerated one another, but it became a contest of who could find the bird first.
Pete and Jeep were out a ways, bumping pheasant, and Magic Steve (whose springer, Otis, ignored the whole contest) turns to me and says "Is there anything you can do to keep your dog in closer?"
"Nope."

Lesson one - Flushing dogs that are loose on backing should not be hunted along side pointing dogs that are loose on the hold.  
Makes for a long, long run carrying a shotgun.

We'd walk to the end of the Grand Haven pier, in Lake Michigan.  
I'd unclip the leash, "Get in there".  He'd jump to the water 5' below and swim 660 yards back to shore, smiling that dog smile the whole way.  
The middleaged ladies would sneer  "That's mean".  
"No.  If he gets tired I'll go in after him".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:01:48 AM by Tuco »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »
Brings back memories of Inge, the yellow lab I bred and trained myself.  When she finally passed, I engraved her name and AKC number on the "urn" (actually a section of copper pipe capped on both ends), and added

"A Champion To Me."

Good times.

<snif>

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
My Grandma's dachshund once ate a 40 oz. steak. We never did figure out how he got it off the counter. His belly was draggin' the ground afterwards...
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 08:58:56 PM »
My Grandma's dachshund once ate a 40 oz. steak. We never did figure out how he got it off the counter. His belly was draggin' the ground afterwards...

:laugh:

I want a dachshund as my next dog. They are just so funny looking...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
Grapes.

A more funner thread would be "What has your dog eaten?"

Good, grapes and raisins bad for doggies. Mine is suspicious to the point that I think it is a desired survival trait bred into GSDs. Will not touch strange food, go 3 days without eating instead. Change his eating arrangement, same thing. Gets sick from eating something, same deal. I have to coax him to eat raw chicken scraps. But cat crap? Whoa buddy, drop everything, gotta go it's buffet night because daddy dumped the cat box over the hill. ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 12:40:41 AM »

That makes me smile.

=D

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
Yea, knowing dacshunds he was probably all proud of himself about it too.  :lol:

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 12:42:01 PM »

When Sarah and Gracie were still little more than puppies they got into a whole large chicken SWMBO had made.  It was supposed to be food for them anyway, but we really hadn't intended on them eating the WHOLE thing in one go.  Their bellies were visably distended for a solid day, maybe day and a half.  They acted drunk for quite a few hours afterwards, and I don't think we even bothered to feed them again for 3 days.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »

The image of a very swaybacked dachshund tickles me no end.  Anyone know the beam equations for a dachshund?  Its Young's modulus?

Anyone?  Mr. Buehller?

Terry, 230RN

Diagram from

http://www.aps.anl.gov/APS_Engineering_Support_Division/Mechanical_Operations_and_Maintenance/Calculators/ElasticBeam2.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:46:12 PM by 230RN »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
Waddling around with it's belly rubbing on the floor...  :laugh:

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
My lab will eat pretty much anything, including her own poop.  She also loves beer and vodka.

My Chow on the other hand will eat any kind of meat, most fruits and some vegetables.  He will eat something he normally wouldn't on occasion, just so the lab can't have it.
Our dog would do that occasionally after he was otherwise full. We'd give him scraps to clean off, and he'd sometimes leave part of them. Used to be that we'd simply say "Oh, I guess the kittehs can have it then" (we have 4 cats, two or three of them who will eat pretty much everything). He'd then force himself to eat the few scraps  remaining, just to make sure the cats wouldn't get to it :laugh:. Now he's deaf as a post though =(, so that doesn't work now. OTOH, he no longer cares if the cat comes and shares the scraps with him. Doesn't bark, snap, bite or anything, nor tries to eat faster to make sure the cat doesn't get her share. Pretty cute to watch =).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 04:06:10 AM »
Don't let their comical appearance (dachshund) fool you. Any animal bred to root a badger out of it's home is not to be trifled with. That being said:

Willie (Wilhelm) was nothing but a clown, most of the time but...  I remember toddling around my grandparent's property; Willie was never more than a couple steps away. Willie had most of one ear and about half of the other (the rest had been torn off in fights with this, that, or the other), he would not tolerate anything in "his" yard or near "his" boy.

The afternoon we found he had eaten the 40 oz. steak, he was holed up in his little "hidey-hole", whimpering...

Lb. for Lb., if you want a damned good dog around children that will bond with them and be a fearless companion, you could do a lot worse than a dachshund.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:28 AM »
Yea, knowing dacshunds he was probably all proud of himself about it too.  :lol:
That he was. I swear you could see him grin at times. You know dachshunds to make that statement!