Author Topic: Trouble in Massachusetts...  (Read 1009 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Trouble in Massachusetts...
« on: July 20, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Friend on Facebook posted that Mass.  AG announced that she is now interpreting the state AWB to include any firearm with a similar operating system or interchangeable parts with a named assault weapon.   Didn't link to anything.  Anyone got info on this?  Sounds to me like this could effectively be a ban on all semiautomatic firearms,  depending on how broad they use the new interpretation.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Trouble in Massachusetts...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 07:16:34 PM »
Discussion at The Firing Line:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578148

It shouldn't hold up in court ... but we're talking about Massachusetts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
They know it won't hold up in court and they don't care.  Because who wants to pay thousands of dollars to be the test case and risk going to prison if you lose? (lose not on the merits of the case but because the judges are crooked too)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
They know it won't hold up in court and they don't care.  Because who wants to pay thousands of dollars to be the test case and risk going to prison if you lose? (lose not on the merits of the case but because the judges are crooked too)

This is how they work now. Similar with the stuff in CA. They expect us to have a good 90% non-compliance with many of the new laws here, but what's the use? If I don't turn in a 30 round mag, I also can't use it anywhere except BFE Mojave desert for fear of being popped.

They don't do these things based on rule of law, they do them calculating that the burden of costs and risks to those affected will be too great.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:35:48 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
This is how they work now. Similar with the stuff in CA. They expect us to have a good 90% non-compliance with many of the new laws here, but what's the use? If I don't turn in a 30 round mag, I also can't use it anywhere except BFE Mojave desert for fear of being popped.

They don't do these things based on rule of law, they do them calculating that the burden of costs and risks of those affected will be too great.

The risk of trying to enforce such laws needs to be too great also.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »
The risk of trying to enforce such laws needs to be too great also.

I know what you're implying,  but there is another way, which is less risky.  A citizen can petition a court for a declaratory judgement seeking to have this law declared unconstitutional.   NRA should pony up some money to help.  It would start the process without needing to have someone violate the law, get charged,  nd risk criminal conviction.   
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark