Author Topic: Supreme Court strikes down racial discrimination in higher education  (Read 2329 times)

Pb

• friend
It is a sad day for college admin... and a great day for us!   =D

I have no doubt they will try to get around this somehow...

Eliminating SAT or ACT scores for admission, and guaranteeing admission for the top percentage of a high school, regardless of the competence of the students is my guess... I think this is what colleges are already doing in CA, where explicit racial discrimination has been illegal for some time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-strikes-affirmative-action-programs-harvard-unc-rcna66770

dogmush

• friend
Re: Supreme Court strikes down racial discrimination in higher education
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 11:06:28 AM »
It'll be interesting to see.

There could be much public wailing and rending of garments, and a behind the scenes relief to drop diversity and only take rich kids of a similar sub-culture.  While blaming Trumps SCOTUS.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 11:28:12 AM »
Texas tried that plan.  The top 10% of students were automatically admitted to any state university.  I think the result was those students took up almost all the spots.  They changed it a few years later.  I am not sure how it is set up now.

The majority of the parents I talk to with kids going to Texas A&M, the kids are starting at junior college or somewhere else and transferring in.  I did that as wells.  Saves a lot of money. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 12:17:43 PM »
Well, it is the end of the world as we know it according to the left. We shall see what gets us first, rising oceans or allowing merit based college admissions. What a time to be alive, where anything at all is going to offend at least 50% of the population. :)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 12:55:51 PM »
Well, it is the end of the world as we know it according to the left. We shall see what gets us first, rising oceans or allowing merit based college admissions. What a time to be alive, where anything at all is going to offend at least 50% of the population. :)

Seems more like at least 90%.

I was pleased to see that it wasn't even a close vote. Score one for common sense, even if it is several generations late in showing its ugly racist head.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/29/supreme-court-rejects-affirmative-action-at-colleges-says-schools-cant-consider-race-in-admission.html

UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz, in a statement, said, “Carolina remains firmly committed to bringing together talented students with different perspectives and life experiences and continues to make an affordable, high-quality education accessible to the people of North Carolina and beyond.”

“While not the outcome we hoped for, we will carefully review the Supreme Court’s decision and take any steps necessary to comply with the law,” Guskiewicz said.

Translation: "Our lawyers are going to explain to us exactly what we have to do so we can ignore this ruling while pretending to respect it."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 01:33:00 PM »
The left's head collective is exploding. How dare the SC say we can't be racist!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 07:59:03 PM »
Somebody on Reddit speculated that they'll just look at the zip codes of applicants instead.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 09:51:50 PM »
Somebody on Reddit speculated that they'll just look at the zip codes of applicants instead.

Harvard (and other Ivy League Schools) have been doing that for years. Grow up in flyover country, be a great HS student, score decent on ACT or SAT, and your probably going to an Ivy League school if you apply.

I wish I would of known that back when I was in HS, crazy the amount of my HS and college friends who children are going to Ivy League schools because they are from the Midwest.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 11:33:11 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 08:41:34 AM »

I find that amusing because banks refusing to lend within certain areas/zip codes, called "red-lining," was outlawed ten or more years ago as de facto discrimination.  So what'll they call this.... "green-lining?"

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 09:42:41 AM »

That one person is showing far too much leg.  They must be punished.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 10:30:40 AM »
This is too funny. Typical rich, sheltered, progressive woman claims blacks can't make it in a merit-based system (implying they're too stupid and need white liberals to pat them on the head and help them). She gets roasted on the socials by conservatives and even many liberals (and many blacks). The usual liberal players are all crying "False flag! Bot! Fake account run by conservatives!" In the meantime the woman is looking for a lawyer so she can sue for defamation.  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/gordon-kushner/2023/06/29/racist-sock-strikes-back-n2384971
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/06/30/ron-filipkowski-erica-march-n2384985
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 11:20:03 AM »
Clarence Thomas' opinion is brilliantly written. I especially like how he trashed KBJs dissent.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 12:14:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/cenkuygur/status/1674525429305311232?s=20

Quote from: Cenk Uygur
I think Supreme Court got the affirmative action case right. I'm sick of the strereotypes that attach to all minorities because of this policy. It was necessary in beginning, but it has become counterproductive. But legacy admissions, which are more unfair, must also be banned.

I find myself not disagreeing with Cenk here.  Not sure I like that fact.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 12:35:08 PM »
Babylon Bee warning

Harvard To Get Around Affirmative Action Ban By Asking You Whether You Prefer BBQ, Ranch, Or Soy Sauce
https://babylonbee.com/news/harvard-to-get-around-affirmative-action-ban-by-asking-you-whether-you-prefer-bbq-ranch-or-soy-sauce
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 12:38:08 PM »
Eliminating SAT or ACT scores for admission, and guaranteeing admission for the top percentage of a high school, regardless of the competence of the students is my guess... I think this is what colleges are already doing in CA, where explicit racial discrimination has been illegal for some time.

Ironically eliminating SAT/ACT scores from consideration worsened minority enrollment.  Motivated minorities who got prepared and scored well no longer had that to differentiate themselves from other applicants and lost out more often as a result.
Formerly sumpnz

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 01:03:38 PM »
Is it the purpose of Higher Education to take a body of people that is representative of the racial and ethnic diversity of the country's population as a whole and provide them education beyond the miniumum high school level, or is it to take the best students from the high school pool and further educate them so they can add to society's overall body of knowledge and experience?

For that matter, in the context of higher education, what does "best student" mean?  Smartest?  Most able to absorb knowledge and parrot it back?

I don't disagree with this decision in the least, as I have long thought that racial discrimination in any form adds to society's overall racial tensions, but it seems to me we don't really know why we send people to colleges and universities anymore.  Without knowing society's goal in funding and supporting higher education, how can we pretend to have a coherent admissions policy?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 01:52:31 PM »
Is it the purpose of Higher Education to take a body of people that is representative of the racial and ethnic diversity of the country's population as a whole and provide them education beyond the miniumum high school level, or is it to take the best students from the high school pool and further educate them so they can add to society's overall body of knowledge and experience?

For that matter, in the context of higher education, what does "best student" mean?  Smartest?  Most able to absorb knowledge and parrot it back?

I don't disagree with this decision in the least, as I have long thought that racial discrimination in any form adds to society's overall racial tensions, but it seems to me we don't really know why we send people to colleges and universities anymore.  Without knowing society's goal in funding and supporting higher education, how can we pretend to have a coherent admissions policy?

Far, far too many people are going to college these days.  50 years ago it was, what, 10% at most that got bachelor degrees.  PhDs we’re around 1%, if even that many.  Now almost 40% have a college degree, and it’s probably heading towards 60% because a lot of that non-degree population are old folks and young kids are going to college at even higher rates.

What we need are good quality high schools so college isn’t necessary for 90% of the jobs out there.  Heck, it used to be you could even become an engineer without a degree. 
Formerly sumpnz

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 04:05:51 PM »
What we need are good quality high schools so college isn’t necessary for 90% of the jobs out there.  Heck, it used to be you could even become an engineer without a degree.

My father in law was an engineer for 20 years without a degree.  He dropped out of a liberal arts college and trained as a machinist.  He worked his way up from there.  He is a brilliant man.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »
Clarence Thomas' opinion is brilliantly written. I especially like how he trashed KBJs dissent.

Full text here. Thomas's concurring opinion is lengthy. The part about Jackson begins on page 97 of the PDF, page 47 of Thomas's dissent.

https://washingtonpost.com/documents/4ff078d7-f01b-4533-8edc-5a894fc82cde.pdf?itid=lk_inline_manual_3
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 04:15:24 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2023, 09:38:18 AM »
Things aren't working anymore, everything is broken. Get the Asians and Caucasians back into system and see if we can stem the bleeding. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2023, 08:12:57 PM »
Here's their work around
Victim scores

To build a diverse class of students, the medical school at UC Davis ranks applicants by the disadvantages they have faced. The disadvantage scale helped turn UC Davis into one of the most diverse medical schools in the U.S. Can it work nationally? https://t.co/4QGPL48uKe
    — The New York Times (@nytimes) July 4, 2023

New York Times: Could 'adversity scores' replace affirmative action nationwide?
https://twitchy.com/brettt/2023/07/05/new-york-times-could-adversity-scores-replace-affirmative-action-nationwide-n2385119
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:00:11 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes