Author Topic: Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening  (Read 6438 times)

Zed

Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening
« on: October 17, 2008, 06:31:48 PM »
So Much for the 1st Amendment.... =(

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614

CLARK COUNTY
Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

All the more Proof that Zero Tolerance = Zero Brains.

hm, maybe the Zombies did attack that High School after all.... =D :laugh:
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »
You know, I have a application for part time substitute teacher right here on my desk. This oughta be good! :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
I just watched "Dance of the Dead" which is about zombies overunning a highschool prom and they blow up the whole school at the end. I hope none of the film crew or actors get arrested. :rolleyes:
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
School administrators and those involved in this case are safe from zombies, as zombies crave brains to eat.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:17:33 PM »
Let's hope the grand jury or jury are smart enough to tell the prosecution to stuff it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 12:21:24 AM »
maybe the Zombies did attack that High School after all.

Well, something seems to have eaten the brains of the administrators... :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »

Well, Bush DID declare a zombie terrorister threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoXgRtDysLY

Seriously, though, what is wrong with people?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 02:20:34 AM »
I think the kid is probably lying about it being a "short story he was writing for English class". I doubt his snoopy old granny and everyone else is that stupid (didn't say its not possible) as to not be able to tell the difference between an "English" assignment and some kid's threats in his journal. However, this is thought police stuff.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:24:40 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 02:49:30 AM »
It is a private journal.  End conversation.

For something to be a threat, you must at least send it to someone. And I for one believe the kid, if only because stuff like this had happened before.

But of course, he'll be a felon now.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 11:50:36 AM »
Yet William Ayers is teaching at a university.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »
I realize that minors have no right to privacy.  Freedom of thought?  Freedom of speech?  I know that police departments are edgy about school protection.  If something happens and it is discovered that they knew about "the tendancy", they are certainly in the dog house.  So, we have this.  A felony count no less!!  No aspirin is schools.  No pointy sissors and the list goes on.  I expect to see no pencils allowed in schools in the future... those little buggers will poke someone's eye out.  You can't trust them. :)

You have this kind of enforcement.... then you have the little bully boys and girls running around schools beating on kids that are smaller or different and it scars them for life and hate builds up.  That was part of the genesis of the school tragedy in Colorado.

Snoopy Grandma's need to ramp up their surveilance if Obama wins the presidency.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:37:18 AM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »
Yet William Ayers is teaching at a university.

But that's OK.  After all, he only targeted The Man. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
I realize that minors have no right to privacy.  Freedom of thought?  Freedom of speech?  I know that police departments are edgy about school protection.  If something happens and it is discovered that they knew about "the tendancy", they are certainly in the dog house.  So, we have this.  A felony count no less!!  No aspirin is schools.  No pointy sissors and the list goes on.  I expect to see no pencils allowed in schools in the future... those little buggers will poke someone's eye out.  You can't trust them. Smiley

And then the kids who grow up in an environment like this will start voting.

Be afraid.

Be very, very afraid.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »
Man, am I out of date.

I always thought that to get arrested for threatening, you had to like ... threaten someone.

Is there any place in the United States where you can be a judge without being a lawyer? If so, that's where I want to move. IANAL, but it's obvious to me that there are a lot of LEOs and prosecutors who need to have a few cases tossed out of court with stern reprimands, just to remind them that their job is to enforce the law, not make it up ad hoc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

nico

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 06:30:40 PM »
Administrators and police aside, wtf is wrong with this kid's grandparents?!  If I were in that kid's situation, my parents/grandparents would have had a talk with me about how weird the story was and whether everything was OK, etc.  They would not have risked destroying my life/future over a story about zombies
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:34:35 PM by nico »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »
There was a time where reporting people to the authorities was seen as not very honorable - today, it seems people are eager to do it.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »
I recall reading about the child who turned in his paernts.  He was lauded for his loyalty to the state and his parents were given Stalin's justice.

Later, the child was killed by his relatives for being the evil seed he was.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 10:08:03 PM »
I recall reading about the child who turned in his paernts.  He was lauded for his loyalty to the state and his parents were given Stalin's justice.

Later, the child was killed by his relatives for being the evil seed he was.

Pavlik Morozov. He was unfortunately not the only such idiot.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »
There was a time where reporting people to the authorities was seen as not very honorable - today, it seems people are eager to do it.

What do you expect?  We've been training people to do this for decades now.  'Don't try to handle it yourself, get an adult/cop/professional'.

The problem is, where do the professionals come from - even as people go to the pros more, many pros have lost their skills, because they weren't raised to take care of stuff themselves.

On the other hand, incidents like this actually give me hope - here's an entire school educated on abuse of power, stupidity of authority.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »
Bill Ayres and Marxism... schools... reporting things that might happen to authorities.....  We are gradually moving to a world where children will report their parents and the state will reward them for it.  Think about your gun collection.  It's pretty vulnerable when some snot child is taught that guns are evil incarnate at school and they make life difficult for the parent, especially if the laws are changed to be more restrictive.  The revolution is coming.

I think Grandma should have handled the situation on her own.  Talked to the young man and hopefully takes steps if there seems to be a problem developing.  The problem is defining a problem...  even the Grandma's are brainwashed as to what is right or wrong and how to deal with it.  Some kids are just bad.  They grow up to be bad adults. Eventually they get weeded out one way or the other.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »
But that's OK.  After all, he only targeted The Man.

Well... Yeah,  :laugh:

Welcome to 1984

Bill Ayres and Marxism... schools... reporting things that might happen to authorities.....  We are gradually moving to a world where children will report their parents and the state will reward them for it.  Think about your gun collection.  It's pretty vulnerable when some snot child is taught that guns are evil incarnate at school and they make life difficult for the parent, especially if the laws are changed to be more restrictive.  The revolution is coming.

Welcome to 1984...  but wait. George Orwell was a pinko, and a believer of the ideas of what the 2A is based on.

I just watched "Dance of the Dead" which is about zombies overunning a highschool prom and they blow up the whole school at the end. I hope none of the film crew or actors get arrested. rolleyes

That is something that I was wondering to. What about all of those movies that take place in a high-school? Arrest them all?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
That is something that I was wondering to. What about all of those movies that take place in a high-school? Arrest them all?

Wasn't this why the MPAA refused to let Battle Royale into the US market?

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
Hate to break up the party, but this story was reported in Feburary - March of 2005. 

This seems to have the most info of what I've found so far.  http://www.allyngibson.net/?tag=william-poole

However the zombies weren't written into the story either, so that made things a bit difficult.

P.S. Oh, and MicroBalrog, I looked up that movie.  Looks interesting, but the MPAA didn't refuse it.  The distribution terms were nutty, with the price of disribution being rather high, and the smaller film distributors couldnt pony up that much money for it, and the larger ones didnt want to touch it.  However, I did find it and its sequel at Tower Records.

http://www.tower.com/battle-royale-dvd/wapi/107103096

http://www.tower.com/battle-royale-2-requiem-dvd/wapi/107073467

I might get it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:13:00 PM by trekkiefromhell »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »
Trekkie, from what I read on the BR fansites, the original author disagreed with the rating the movie got (NC17), as he wanted it to be marketed as a summer film for the entire family, however concerns about ZOmg SCHOOLSHOOTINGS got in the way.

Do not get the second movie. It's beyond worthless. Get the first movie, and get the book.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
the original author disagreed with the rating the movie got (NC17), as he wanted it to be marketed as a summer film for the entire family, however concerns about ZOmg SCHOOLSHOOTINGS got in the way.

Maybe the school shootings made it the NC17, but as its a movie of a bunch of people killing eachother it would have at least deserved an R, but still... a summer family film?  Thats just damned funny.