Author Topic: Student punished for not standing for Mexian national anthem  (Read 1888 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Student punished for not standing for Mexian national anthem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 06:55:53 PM »
I better learn spanish.

That or cantonese.

Or both.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 07:06:29 PM »
Wow.  So you don't have to stand for the American pledge (which I dislike but fully support), but you'd better be on your feet for the Mexican anthem.  That's just great.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:28:24 AM »
The student in this case is misinformed.  Military members (at least in military ceremonies) are required to give the same honors during a foreign countries anthem.  If you are a civilian, standing for another country's national anthem is a matter of etiquette and protocol and, as we've seen, is not enforceable but is considered the proper thing to do.  

I have attended the Calgary Stampede in Alberta and all of the Canadians remained standing for the American anthem out of respect.  Americans at hockey games in the U.S. against Canadian teams are likewise asked to remain standing for "O Canada".  I really don't see why the student (who is in the process of enlisting) would worry about this jeopardizing his military career.  

If only he'd attended more hockey games, he could have avoided all this controversy!  Tongue

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 06:55:22 AM »
Any reason why the site in the first post is on my corporate resticted website access list?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 07:40:06 AM »
Here's a description of the purpose of the website:

Race is an important aspect of individual and group identity. Of all the fault lines that divide societylanguage, religion, class, ideologyit is the most prominent and divisive. Race and racial conflict are at the heart of the most serious challenges the Western World faces in the 21st century.

The problems of race cannot be solved without adequate understanding. Attempts to gloss over the significance of race or even to deny its reality only make problems worse. Progress requires the study of all aspects of race, whether historical, cultural, or biological.
Sounds like your IT policy is being cautious.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:10:44 AM »
The WEIRDEST, by far, I ever experienced was while working at Navy Federal Credit Union back in the mid 1990s.

During Black History Month they asked everyone to stand for the Black NATIONAL Anthem.

Say wha?Huh?

Since when have blacks had a single nation?

I stood, but only because I was grabbing my lunch tray and heading for the exit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:19:10 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
Any reason why the site in the first post is on my corporate resticted website access list?
It is (IMHO) a borderline (or thinly veiled) white supremecist organization. Check out their news archives to get an idea of the kind of 'balance' that they are looking for.

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 11:50:17 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Quote from: jfruser
It is (IMHO) a borderline (or thinly veiled) white supremecist organization. Check out their news archives to get an idea of the kind of 'balance' that they are looking for.
Oh my!  I just read some of the comments on the article and a few of the other articles on the site.  There is some ridiculous stuff on there.  My favorite comments on the Mexican anthem story:

Southern boy
"I dont stand and pledge allegiance to the federal flag, the flag of white mans major foe, the federal government. I only pledge allegiance to the natural rights expounded in the bill of rights. I also stand in allegiance to all my European kinomitting the race traders who are my inveterate foes."
Race traders?  Oh, traitors!

Mr. Lee
"As far as Jeffersons all men are created equal this must be considered in the context of which it was written. This was only meant to be applicable to European American patriots who were at odds with the occupying British government and its harsh troops along with the over taxations. Jefferson never meant for it to be for other races who were considered property as slaves and could not be citizens under any circumstances although we know the bleeding heart Northerners and Lincoln later changed all that."
Damn you bleeding heart Northerners!

308winchester
"N. B. Forrest for president!"
Why does that name sound familiar?  Oh, I know!

jim
"i think the hillbilly is partly right& but, i think we need to go back to the all men are created equal statement.. that was the original nail in the coffin&. it partly led to the civil war, and it had an effect on the immediate aftermath&. then, worse yet, it led to the vote for women& then, it led to Brown, then it led to equal rights legislation, then affirmative action&. every step of the way poisoning us in ways to numerous to ever attempt to completely list.. "
Yep, when women got the vote it was all down hill.

Thanks for pointing out the questionable nature of this site c_yeager.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 11:58:40 AM »
Yep, when women got the vote it was all down hill.
Gol Durn women! First the vote and then the Boy Scouts... shocked

Cheesy

Oh, I gotta ask, What, pray tell, exactly IS the Black National Anthem?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 01:19:48 PM »
Ever see someone refer to a Jamaican as an African-American?

Whew..that gets ugly.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 01:50:42 PM »
Oh, I gotta ask, What, pray tell, exactly IS the Black National Anthem?
I think it's "R-E-S-P-E-C-T."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.