Author Topic: Student Loan Consolidation Concerns  (Read 2936 times)

TarpleyG

• friend
Student Loan Consolidation Concerns
« on: January 23, 2006, 05:30:59 AM »
This has GOT to be a scam!

My wife has 2 student loans that we consolidated a few years back with Nelnet. Every year it seems as though the payoff amount does not really decrease any at all so I pulled all of the statements for 2005 and started looking at them. Sure enough, we owe $126 more this January than we did last January despite paying almost $2000 in payments for the year.

My wife was in school for 3 months of last year and since funds always seem to be tight anyway we did not pay anything extra when we got statements with $0 due for those 3 months (they defer if you are in school and the .gov is supposed to pay the interest for us on one of the loans). I know, we should have but we didn't.

The 1098-E states that we paid under $1000 in interest for the year so what happened to the rest of the money? This consolidation has always been extremely confusing and I believe they make it that way intentionally. At this rate, we will never have this loan paid off. We need some serious help.

Greg

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 06:07:22 AM »
Could it be that in the fine print on the loan for which you do pay interest, the rate floats?

Check with an accountant...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 06:29:50 AM »
Nope.  It is always the same on every statement we get.  This has to be the biggest scam on the planet.  I am going to go back to the statements from a couple of years ago and I bet that I'll find that we haven't paid hardly anything down on these loans.

Greg

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:42:27 AM »
Look at a 30 year mortgage note, you'll see similarities.  If you pay just a little bit more each month you will be surprised how much more principle you will be paying on.

Plus when you get a in school deferment the interest continues to build and add to the principle. Since you had a deferment the principle grows, I am also a part time student again and have old student loans, I have managed to pay my student loan payment and still pay tuition, but I am only able to do that because I get tuition reimbursement at my job.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:37:37 AM »
Student loans suck.  I doubt I will ever completely pay mine off.  I've already paid enough to buy a small home, and I still owe more than I borrowed.  Unless I rob a bank or win the lottery (which will be hard since I don't buy lottery tickets) I will never be debt free.  I just have to think of it as an education tax.
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 09:29:51 AM »
Quote from: crt360
Student loans suck.  I doubt I will ever completely pay mine off.  I've already paid enough to buy a small home, and I still owe more than I borrowed.  Unless I rob a bank or win the lottery (which will be hard since I don't buy lottery tickets) I will never be debt free.  I just have to think of it as an education tax.
What kind of interest rate do you have?  My loans will be paid off at the end of this year after 10 years of payments.  Each month, I saw the principal drop a bit.  

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
Sounds like they have you set up to just pay the interest OR LESS! I'd call them and find out what the frig is going on and if they tell you that's "just the way it is" you need to raise your monthly payments to them. I'd double them if I could afford it. BTW that DOES suck. Sounds like loan sharking...

oh IIRC interest DOES still accrue even if you are defered. That may have something to do with it?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 10:14:57 AM »
I ran some numbers and we are going to try and take the monthly payment we have now and add the difference of what we were paying on my wife's car up until December and pay that.  That's 2.5 times the current monthly payment.  Takes us from 134 months like it is now to 42 months and saves us $7000.  I think all the time my wife was back in school and us not paying anything is what killed us.  No more of that crap.  Thanks.

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 10:33:39 AM »
I think all the time my wife was back in school and us not paying anything is what killed us.
That'll do it alright. What's your rate? (if you don't mind)

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »
8.25%

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 11:10:14 AM »
Ouchie, I'd try looking around for a cheaper loan? If you're getting those 0% for so many months offers from credit cards companies look for one with no transfer fee and sock some of the money there. Then you MUST make sure you pay it off before the "introductory rate" period is up. So don't over do it. AND, by all means, DO NOT purchase anything on that card. They will only pay off the 0% loan and keep hitting you with interest on the purchase every month. They're schemers...

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 11:28:42 AM »
Might try something like that after we get all moved this summer.  Right now I don't want too much new credit activity while shopping for a home loan.

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 11:44:32 AM »
Yea, you don't want too much open stuff till after you get the loan. Those low rate offers are ok if you manage them correctly. The card people are counting on your MIS-managing them.

Good Luck!

Smiley

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
"Shopping for a home loan"?  Tarp, you haven't been paying a lot of attention to what's going on in the housing market, other than maybe in the Fort Liquordale area...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »
right now you can reconsolidate school loans for a lower interest rate...  you only have until march to do so.  I am dropping mine a full 2% by doing this.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 01:08:45 PM »
What are you talking about Art?

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »
Mine is with Wm D Ford/Dept. of Ed. dot gov.
My wife to-be borrowed a total of 10g's over 4 semesters to cover her final two years toward her bachelor's degree.  It's been through a total of 4 lenders changing hands, and 22 years.

It's a sham.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »
What kind of interest rate do you have?  My loans will be paid off at the end of this year after 10 years of payments.  Each month, I saw the principal drop a bit.
It's now a fixed 6.5% on my federal loans.  Its roughly the same on several private loans.  What killed me (aside from being stupid enough to borrow money and go to law school) was doing exactly what TarpleyG is talking about.  My loans were in the 8.5-9.5% range when I was in school and I had them all on deferment.  If I had to borrow money to go to school, where was I going to come up with thousands a year to make interest payments?  

When I finished school and got a job, it did not pay nearly enough to make regular payments on all my loans, so I had to use deferments and forbearances on some loans and pay on others.

What they don't tell you when you get accepted to law school and get full financial aid (which pretty much everyone does unless their family is wealthy or they're older and retired from their first job with money to burn) is that you'll need to be making over $100,000/yr starting the day you get out of school to pay off your loans in 10 years.
I can count the number of classmates I had that got that kind of job on one hand (maybe less) and none of them stayed with those jobs for more than a year or two.  Most (like myself) took jobs with small to medium sized firms or governmental entities making $50,000/yr or less (sometimes way less).  It is impossible to pay rent/utilities/insurance/car repair/health care/food/clothes/credit card debt/etc. and still make full payments on student loans if the best job you can get with your new degree only pays $30,000.  For this very reason many law school grads filed for bankruptcy in the 80's/early 90's, which prompted stiffer laws that made discharging student loan debt through bankruptcy next to impossible.  If it werent for the USDEs income contingent repayment program on the federal loans, Id have been forced to try bankruptcy by now, even if it is harder to do.

I've reconsolidated my federal loans and almost paid off my private loans.  I haven't purchased anything on my credit cards in several years and Im working hard to pay them off because their interest rates rocketed up to 4-5 times that of my student loans.  Some kid started asking me questions about my car the other day and told me it had achieved collectible status.  Aside from a few guns and some ammo, I havent purchased anything I dont need.  I work long hours and usually put in at least half a day on Saturdays and Sundays.  I quit hanging out with a lot of friends because my spending habits no longer matched theirs.

I can easily say that student loan debt has had an enormous impact on my quality of life.  If I could go back, I wouldnt do it again, but I did it and Ive got to figure out how to make the best of it.  Be thankful if you only have a few thousand, or few tens of thousands in student loan debt.  Avoid scams, research carefully, read the fine print, consolidate at a fixed low rate, and pay as much as you can on them.
For entertainment purposes only.