Author Topic: Strong ideas  (Read 4714 times)

jeff-10

Strong ideas
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
Hey this thread made register on APS. I got so sick of the 60hr/wk lifestyle I decided I had to do something to change it. Changing it involved me getting a job with the federal goverment. Best decision I ever made. They gave me credit for my military service. I work 7.5 hrs a day and never anymore. Almost any job in the goverment that takes a bachelors degree or higher has a career path that leads to atleast 100k after several years, and advancement is not back breaking. I started out with 4 weeks vacation a year and almost another 3 in sick leave. If you have a job that involves carrying a gun you get another 25% LEAP pay. If your willing to move around it has almost unlimited advancement potential. You get a decent retirement plan and ok medical. Even though it is counterintuitive most federal jobs have very little inter-office politics involved compared to the private sector. No getting called to the carpet, etc. for stupid stuff.

Downside is that you don't get the high bonuses, stock options and the potential to make over 200k in the federal goverment. I couldn't work the 10 hour days, 6 days a week anymore. I was getting serious migraines and doing nothing but working and sleeping for almost 2 years. Keep in mind I was 30 when I changed to the federal goverment, far too young to burn out considering I will have to work into my 60s. Anyways that + living in a state with a low tax burden has really improved my life. The grow or die mentality that most corporations now have make it almost unberable to work for them.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Strong ideas
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 07:51:46 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Whine.
People have choices.  We have the most dynamic succesful economy in the world for a reason.  And it isn't because people knock off work at 4.  Look at France and Germany.  I don't think anyone wants to emulate that.
What are you doing on the gunnie boards? Quit slacking and get back to work. Management expects five supercommentaries by close of business next Friday or we'll outsource your job to Ethiopia.  Wink

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

InfidelSerf

• friend
Strong ideas
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 08:48:19 AM »
another aspect to look at is the intrusion into your personal life that is becoming more prevalent.

Several corporations are now banning smoking all together, even at home.
I don't have a problem with a company making it policy not to hire smokers.. but those that are already employed should be grandfathered in.  Or at the very least since this move is typically a medical insurance cost factor.  Make smokers pay higher premiums or opt out of company provided insurance.  No matter what its a slippery slope.  What's next no skydiving, motorcycle riding, or fast food eating?

Many of us have already experienced similar views towards firearms.

Just another reason I work for myself.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Strong ideas
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 09:04:28 AM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn
Whine.
People have choices.  We have the most dynamic succesful economy in the world for a reason.  And it isn't because people knock off work at 4.  Look at France and Germany.  I don't think anyone wants to emulate that.
What are you doing on the gunnie boards? Quit slacking and get back to work. Management expects five supercommentaries by close of business next Friday or we'll outsource your job to Ethiopia.  Wink

- NF
Being self-employed means never having to clock in Smiley .
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

The Rabbi

• friend
Strong ideas
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 09:07:19 AM »
Quote from: veloce851
another aspect to look at is the intrusion into your personal life that is becoming more prevalent.

Several corporations are now banning smoking all together, even at home.
I don't have a problem with a company making it policy not to hire smokers.. but those that are already employed should be grandfathered in.  Or at the very least since this move is typically a medical insurance cost factor.  Make smokers pay higher premiums or opt out of company provided insurance.  No matter what its a slippery slope.  What's next no skydiving, motorcycle riding, or fast food eating?

Many of us have already experienced similar views towards firearms.

Just another reason I work for myself.
My feeling is companies should be free to set whatever standards they want.  If they want to hire only marathon running athletes then so be it.  But they will be doing themselves out of some good employees probably.
You are right that health insurance costs play a part in it.  I don't see why someone can be a cigarette-smoking overweight slob and expect the company to pick up his medical bills.  More individual responsibility will eventually do away with the medical insurance crisis.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Strong ideas
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 09:34:49 AM »
...but how do you guys cover the costs of med insurance on your own?
I would almost be ready to make the jump, were it not for that.

SWMBO and I both have health issues which require ongoing prescription drugs, and everything I find is either a "discount card" that does almost NOTHING, or prohibitively expensive. Oh, that and the 3 kids we need to cover as well...

If that's asking sensitive info, feel free to email me fignozzle at yahoo dot com.

...has left the building.

Strong ideas
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2006, 10:25:57 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
...but how do you guys cover the costs of med insurance on your own?
I don't think there is any way around it.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Strong ideas
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2006, 10:34:50 AM »
but how do you guys cover the costs of med insurance on your own?
It's not easy at first. That's one of my my biggest expenses. I just bite the bullet and do it. Mine is ~ $300 a month for something I hope to never use. $2500 deductible too. It's more of a stop gap in case I get seriously injured or ill.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Strong ideas
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
Hmmm... the org chart lists you as a solid-line report to Mr. Harry Thunderer and a dotted line to Mr. Cosmo Muffin. Cheesy

- NF

InfidelSerf

• friend
Strong ideas
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »
Call me crazy but I don't have health insurance.. and frankly don't want it.
If something major happens... then I get to make payments the rest of my life for the service of those who saved me.(and I'll be thankful to dedicate my life to paying them off)

But I do have a right to refuse medical care.  And of course I'll get flamed for this view.  
But I would rather wither and die than expect others to pay for my healthcare.

I know I'll probably be lumped with the crazy christian scientists too (or whatever they call themselves.. those that believe God will take care of any sickness etc.) But I honestly feel like its my right to take my life into my own hands and risk death, even if the technology exists to fix me.

If your going to call me a nut.. at least make it a pistachio [homerdrewl]Mmmm pistachios[/homerdrewl]  Smiley

Now when and if I ever have kids, I'll get it. At that point it's not for me.. but for them.
JMHO
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

The Rabbi

• friend
Strong ideas
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2006, 12:55:01 PM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn
Hmmm... the org chart lists you as a solid-line report to Mr. Harry Thunderer and a dotted line to Mr. Cosmo Muffin. Cheesy

- NF
Yup, you're right.  I ate a muffin this morning....

The Rabbi

• friend
Strong ideas
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »
Quote from: veloce851
Call me crazy but I don't have health insurance.. and frankly don't want it.
If something major happens... then I get to make payments the rest of my life for the service of those who saved me.(and I'll be thankful to dedicate my life to paying them off)
Yeah, that's pretty nuts.

I pay for my own health insurance and since we are seldom sick we have an enormous deductible.  I doubt we've ever reached the deductible in any year.  But one of the benefits of having health insurance is that providers must bill at the agreed upon rate, even if the insurance company won't cover it.  So doctor visits that get billed at about $100 get crammed down to about $57.  Ditto with drugs.  We pay for all of them, but at the lower rate negotiated by the Blue guys.  It almost pays for itself.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Strong ideas
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
One other death blow to individual achievement is corporate liability.

It used to be, if you could represent in an interview that you could do the job, you got the job, until you couldn't do the job anymore.  Now you need a piece of paper (often mandated by legislation) saying you can do the job so the company doesn't get sued if you do the job wrong.  And of course, since you are paper qualified, it's harder to get rid of you if you actually can't do the job, because, hey, you're qualified.

So we have requirements for physical trades that a person must have an overpriced rubber stamp BA, even in a non-related field, just to apply for the job.  I used to work with a guy for the State who had the required BS, in microbiology, to allow him to be a computer supervisor.  A degree for the sake of a degree.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
Strong ideas
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »
Yup, you're right.  I ate a muffin this morning....
Sometimes you eat the muffin. And sometimes the muffin eats you.

- NF