Author Topic: Stropping, the key to a razor's edge  (Read 6431 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Stropping, the key to a razor's edge
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 03:07:26 PM »
i think steak knives are serrated so only the the tips of the serrations become dull when they come in contact with the plate. 

do people regularly use compounds on strops?  (oils, polishing/rubbing etc?)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
That's good for removing burrs or unrolling an overly fine edge.  What I'm talking about is sharpening at a microscopic level.

Again, not needed or necessary for every cutting task.

Most of those I agree that's what I'm shooting for, but porcelain and cardboard do take a cut, cardboard has a lot of abrasive in it and can really tune up an edge. I'm getting some strops, probably waterstones and a whole bunch more things, I slowly collect my implements of knife-making. Forge is next month I hope.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
i think steak knives are serrated so only the the tips of the serrations become dull when they come in contact with the plate.

I've heard that, too.

I used to use and old, wide belt with a hook on the end for hanging onto fridge doors or drawer handles for stropping.  It's still hanging in my kitchen on itw own hook, but I never use it anymore except to touch up the small blade on a pocket folder.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
Most of those I agree that's what I'm shooting for, but porcelain and cardboard do take a cut, cardboard has a lot of abrasive in it and can really tune up an edge. I'm getting some strops, probably waterstones and a whole bunch more things, I slowly collect my implements of knife-making. Forge is next month I hope.

After I posted I was looking at other videos and lo and behold, a guy was demonstrating using bare cardboard as a strop.  You might have pointed this out already but he noted anything that will dull a knife can, in theory, sharpen it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."