Author Topic: 21st Century Sophists as Simpletons  (Read 1239 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
21st Century Sophists as Simpletons
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/256445/new-sophists-victor-davis-hanson

Another fine bit of observation from VDH, who has the audacity to open his eyes and report what he sees, rather than what the neo-sophists would prefer to be.

"We are living in a new age of sophism — but without a modern Socrates to remind the public just how silly our highly credentialed and privileged new rhetoricians can be."

VDH gives several examples of the credentialed class making statements at odds with empirical data.

"In 2009, brilliant economists in the Obama administration — Peter Orszag, Larry Summers, and Christina Romer — assured us that record trillion-plus budget defects were critical to prevent stalled growth and 10 percent unemployment. For nearly two years we have experienced both, but now with an additional $3 trillion in national debt. All three have quietly returned to either academia or Wall Street."

"One constant here is equating wisdom with a certificate of graduation from a prestigious school....

America is huge and diverse, but the world of our credentialed experts is quite small, warped, and monotonous...

In classical sophistic fashion, rhetoric is never far from personal profit... "

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
Re: 21st Century Sophists as Simpletons
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »
^^^

...Which is why Bill Buckley's quote is as valid today as when he spoke the words.

"I’d rather be governed by the first 2000 names in the Boston phone book than by the dons of Harvard." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

Another example of modern sophistry are all those who are coming out of the walls claiming Sarah Palin is not smart enough to be President.   But on the other hand, people like Sarah Palin carved out a great nation.  The track record of the highly educated with respect to governance is not particularly one to be proud of.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
Don't forget economist Paul Krugman, who writes for the New York Times and whose column is carried by many more papers.

He's editorialized several times that we need more government spending, that Obama hasn't spent enough . . . sort of a "drink yourself sober" philosophy.

He won a Nobel Prize for his "work" . . .  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
I love VDH's way of thinking. I read his column every night at 10 pm before I visit here, mainly because he might have a quip I can pass off as my own. ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
He's a classically trained thinker.  Read his histories.  A great read.  Which reminds me, I should read The Soul of Battle: From Ancient Times to the Present Day, How Three Great Liberators Vanquished Tyranny again.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
^^^

...Which is why Bill Buckley's quote is as valid today as when he spoke the words.

"I’d rather be governed by the first 2000 names in the Boston phone book than by the dons of Harvard." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

Hansen and Buckley will be considered the last of the great American intellectuals when our history is written....I hope.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »
Hansen and Buckley will be considered the last of the great American intellectuals when our history is written....I hope.....

I rather hope there will be centuries of great intellectuals among the future generations of Americans.

Also, Buckley was at best a bright political pundit, not an intellectual. Great intellectuals on the right are people like Richard Pipes of Harvard.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner