Author Topic: 230RN Will Hate This  (Read 1631 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
230RN Will Hate This
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »
 =D

https://mashable.com/2018/04/02/millennials-written-english/#pCvtYXSsImqB

I thought it interesting that the three dot ellipsis now means "annoyance", at least if you're under 40. I suppose that could cause some interesting misinterpretations of emails between a 50 year old boss and 25 year old employee. :)

Also a period at the end of a sentence is not used to end the sentence. It conveys anger. ANGER.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: 230RN Will Hate This
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
Neigh, rather, I loved it.  It encapsulates a lot (not all) of what I've been saying about the subject for years.

I see some of the cause of those "nuances" as a matter of convenience in "typing" with a forefinger on them eensy-bitsy "keyboards" on cell phones and the like.  Same thing as with the use of acronyms --a matter of convenience, like the "Q" signals and other shorthand devices of Morse Code, where each character must be clicked out.  Example: "R R R"  for "received," "QTH" for "location."

But unfortunately, it seems to me that a lot of the motivation for originating neologisms is borne of the "I'm smarter than you," syndrome, where one tries to be "cool" or "with it" by inventing some catchword nobdy else, like, knows about.

The ellipsis thing?  Yeah, an ellipsis can be used in the sense of "I could say more about that effhead, but I won't," as well as in the sense of just "I could say more."  

One problem is (to me) that the latter-day amateur lexicographers find one misuse of a phrase or word, then list it in their "dictionaries," thereby enhancing its validity in that use and blurring its precision.  I'm still waiting for "breech" to show up as "breach" in one of those "dictionaries."

Yeah, "gun" used to be "gonne," and I recognize shifting spellings and meanings over time, e.g., "hoist by his own petard," but latter-day lexicographers ought to be more cautious about what they accept in their lexicon...

Dig?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:03:31 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
Well, then maybe he should use that one weird trick.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »
That's because millennials have created a new rulebook for a variant of written English unique to social media. A rulebook which states that deliberately misspelled words and misused grammar can convey tone, nuance, humour, and even annoyance.

Being one of those dinosaurs, I'd say deliberately misspelled words and misused grammar are more likely to generate anger (on my part when I'm the receiver) than to "convey" it.

But then, I'm just an angry old man anyway ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
I get the impression they are reading more into some of these things than is actually there.  And the assumption that it is better or more expressive is not true in my opinion. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:35 PM »
What does THIS punctuation convey to these Id10T's?
  m|n/
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
Mostly they are just lazy and very ignorant.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 06:27:53 AM »
I get the impression they are reading more into some of these things than is actually there.  And the assumption that it is better or more expressive is not true in my opinion. 

Agreed.  And sometimes I think these amateur internet lexicographers actively hunt down new and off-base usages of a word, or new  words, just so they can be "up to date" and with "the latest" definitions.  'Kay?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
It's not limited to the U.S., either. Anyone who speaks Spanish knows that "that" in Spanish is "que." In fact, "que" is almost ubiquitous in Spanish. Spanish was my late wife's native language. When I married her, her kids were adults and already had their own children (so I became an instant grandfather). Text messages from my adult stepdaughter were virtually indecipherable for me until I realized that she uses "K" or "k" instead of spelling out "que."

I hate TXT SPK.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 11:53:19 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: 230RN Will Hate This
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
No, it's TXT shorthand for quesadilla.  =D

https://youtu.be/poO2BsVGdIU
Don't you mean casa dia's?

(And yes, theyre serious and it's real, I took that at a restaurant I was eating at last week)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 04:40:35 AM »
"casa dia's"

Doesn't that mean "house of the goddess" or something like that?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 06:06:36 AM »
I thought "que" was "what?".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Que

It is.

It's also "it" -- as in "Lo que es, es" is Spanish for the Zen notion that "What is, is."

"?Que es su nombre? is "What is your name?"

"Pienso que no" is "I don't think so" (transliteration "I think that no")