Author Topic: 2023 GeyserBowl Score  (Read 1607 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
2023 GeyserBowl Score
« on: July 18, 2023, 09:32:46 AM »
Fluffy Cows 1, Tourists 0.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/bison-gores-arizona-woman-yellowstone-national-park

Two people innocently walking at the lake and the evil devilspawn bison just decided, unprovoked and out of nowhere, to go all chargy and stuff.

Yeah, right.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
Re: 2023 GeyserBowl Score
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 09:35:37 AM »
Oops, wrong forum. Mods, please move to Roundtable.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 09:37:16 AM »
Oops, wrong forum. Mods, please move to Roundtable.

Brad

The Bison was heard yelling "This is MAGA country!"

Now it belongs in politics
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »
First of the season. Probably not the last unfortunately.
I have a photo of an old bison next to a minivan near Thermopolis WY.  Not much size difference. Hot Springs SP seems to grow bigger bison than Yellowstone.
There's a spot near Gardiner where every winter, Buff falls through the ice, and every spring Grizz gets a weeks worth of supper.  Watching the bear toss around a carcass and grind though frozen meat while running off wolf packs, I understand why Yellowstone bison might have a bad attitude and limited growth opportunites.
7-11 was a part time job.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 10:41:17 AM »
Watching the bear toss around a carcass and grind through frozen meat while running off wolf packs...

Now that's something I'd like to watch. From far away using a high-powered scope of some sort . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 10:59:39 AM »
We need to figure out how to attach a MAGA hat to a few of them.  I am not sure if some tourists would just be angry of if they would try to remove the hats.  Might be fun to watch.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 11:05:43 AM »
Had a guy in the area I grew up who had a couple of bison.

It was kind of shocking how damned big they were.

I grew up in an area that had a lot of dairy cattle, mainly Holsteins and Brown Swiss. The one bull Bison dwarfed them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 11:55:15 AM »
At one time a couple of ranches in my home AO decided to dip their toe in the beefalo craze. They quickly found that bison are a bad combination of huge, dumb, and very very strong. Traditional livestock handling equipment is laughably inadequate, adults won't fit into stalls or chutes. You better have on helluva heavy-duty trailer to carry them, too. Fences mean nothing. A bison bull will walk through a five-wire fence without so much as a stumble, literally amble through them with no more effort than you or I would give to brushing aside weeds. Two bulls in a fight? Forget about anything in the vicinity, it's history (up to and including things like dump trucks and tractors). Unless your overhead tanks, grain bins, windmills, etc. are built out of 4" drill stem and mounted in concrete, bison will buckle the legs by rubbing on them. Same goes for fence corners and small outbuildings. They roam wherever they want, whenever they want. There's no way to contain them to a particular pasture short of a reinforced concrete wall, and even that better be damned stout.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:08:17 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
We need to figure out how to attach a MAGA hat to a few of them.  I am not sure if some tourists would just be angry of if they would try to remove the hats.  Might be fun to watch.

If you can get cowboy hats on pigeons you might just possibly get a MAGA hat on a buffler.

I grew up where there was a heard of free ranging buffs and also a bunch of young, dumb kids learning how to be soldiers, weekends were always fun at the Wildlife Refuge when the kids got a short pass from boot camp. Every year there were several goring.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 01:18:16 PM »
"Every year there were several goring."

Herman Goring... wasn't he head of the Bisonwaffe?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 01:24:50 PM »
"Every year there were several goring."

Herman Goring... wasn't he head of the Bisonwaffe Luftbuffel?

A minor arm of the air forces of Germany, now mostly remembered for their tasty wings after being brought down by the superior Finnish Air Force flying the world famous Brewster F2A(anti) Buffalo.

bob

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 01:26:45 PM »
He was one crazy Fokker.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 04:26:58 PM »
A minor arm of the air forces of Germany, now mostly remembered for their tasty wings after being brought down by the superior Finnish Air Force flying the world famous Brewster F2A(anti) Buffalo.

bob

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You win da internets for da day!

"Luftbuffel"

Nice added touch!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 06:00:52 PM »

bob
That is why the European buffalo were wiped out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 10:30:33 PM »
In '83 my brother and I were relaxing with a cold brew by the yellowstone lodge waiting for the pump in the little adjacent pump house to come on and cause Old Faithful to be faithful when a bus full of non American tourists got off a bus and said "Oh look, a Buffalo" that happened to be browsing the lawn.  One brave soul decided to take a selfie with the bison.  That was the 1st recorded selfie in the world.  The 2nd photo was taken about 10 feet above the bison.  It was rather amusing.  What was more amusing was the look on the ranger's face when we rather loudly wondered near that group after the recovered their limping friend with the broken camera, why old faithful always went off when the pump started up in the pump shed.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 11:15:34 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2023, 05:17:04 AM »

That should buff right out.

Image credit in properties.

Bad joke credit to Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 02:42:48 PM »
What was more amusing was the look on the ranger's face when we rather loudly wondered near that group after the recovered their limping friend with the broken camera, why old faithful always went off when the pump started up in the pump shed.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 02:51:12 PM »

That should buff right out.

Image credit in properties.

Bad joke credit to Terry

Heh, heh --

Does anyone besides me remember the pilot for the 1950s Lone Ranger television series? In the pilot, which told the story of how the Lone Ranger became the "lone ranger," the LR needs a horse, so he and Tonto walk to "wild horse valley." They find the horse that was to become Silver being gored by a North American Bison (a.k.a. Buffalo). The LR dispatches the aforementioned Buffalo with a single shot from his Colt revolver.

What can I say? The show as aimed at kids, and we believed it -- back then.

Skip to 03:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkoxGP88Vxk
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 08:07:25 PM »
I'd have cited the three Ps of shooting:  Placement, placement, and placement.   You can probably stop a charging elephant with a .22 short in the eyeball.  I would think a shot in the ear with almost anything would do in almost anything.  I guess his Rangership had a pretty good knowledge of bison anatomy. ( :rofl: )

That rock in the Lone Ranger introduction where Silver rears up was called the Lone Ranger Rock and appears in a large number of westerns. It is on the Iverson Ranch, which was a favorite place for western locations. Kind of fun reading about it, with many famous movie scenes from it.  There's a couple of internet entries on it --entertaining reading with almost no libwoke horse turds.

There's also a video of it somewhere, showing multiple scenes in multiple movies of the same spot on the Ranch.

IIRC, it has been turned into a residential subdivision.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.cowboyup.com › Iverson_Ranch.html
"Iverson Movie Location Ranch
Celebrated as the most shot-up movie location ranch in motion picture history, the Iverson Movie Ranch, situated in the picturesque rocky foothills of the Santa Susana Mountains just northwest of Chatsworth, has been used to simulate terrain in Africa, Asia, the South Seas, the Wild West and Alien Planetscapes."

« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 08:37:14 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.