Author Topic: The American Presidency Project  (Read 1577 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The American Presidency Project
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Found this by way of a news article I was reading. The historic election results were interesting to peruse. For instance, I had no idea that Nixon won 97% of the electoral college for his second term.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/elections.php
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The American Presidency Project
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:17:10 PM »
That is awesome. Thanks. The wife and I just spent about fifteen minutes there. Her Dad is one of the 8 people that voted for Mondale.  :lol:

And, yeah, McGovern is a legendary loser.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
That's what was so baffling about Watergate. Nixon had that election in the bag. The dirty tricks weren't necessary, although elections can go off in different directions quickly. From what I recall, though, he had a commanding lead from early on.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:20:45 AM »
IMO, it was just Nixon's natural paranoia, and possibly furthered by his work for McCarthy, who in hindsight was remarkably "right" when the various KGB files were made public after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Although it's still obviously arguable that those people could/should be able to maintain any beliefs, or personal contacts they wished in a "free society", however wrong they may have been to do so.

And honestly, coming back to today, it's Nixon's fate that might be what Obama is being spared if/when he loses this Tuesday. Fast and Furious, Bengazi, even his fraudulent foreign student status in college, and more... could all come to end his presidency in a second term, and harm the Democrats how Nixon did for the Republicans political fortunes for almost a decade. 
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »
IMO, it was just Nixon's natural paranoia, and possibly furthered by his work for McCarthy, who in hindsight was remarkably "right" when the various KGB files were made public after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Although it's still obviously arguable that those people could/should be able to maintain any beliefs, or personal contacts they wished in a "free society", however wrong they may have been to do so.

And honestly, coming back to today, it's Nixon's fate that might be what Obama is being spared if/when he loses this Tuesday. Fast and Furious, Bengazi, even his fraudulent foreign student status in college, and more... could all come to end his presidency in a second term, and harm the Democrats how Nixon did for the Republicans political fortunes for almost a decade. 

The factor is you had elements of the press who were willing to bring Nixon down.

The MSM is still obiedient to the Dems.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 01:00:04 AM »
AJ, IIRC, Nixon wasn't aware of most of what was being done until the Watergate story began to open up. His crime was the coverup, not the deeds.

I thought it was interesting that, just a few months ago, former Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee said he didn't think that Deep Throat ever existed, and he thinks that Woodward made up more than a few other things. Nice of him to express his doubts now instead of back then.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:53:09 PM »
^^^^^^^  He was making money then; he's not making money now.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon