Author Topic: 5 ways to read the polls  (Read 5725 times)

drewtam

• friend
5 ways to read the polls
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
Bob Krumm lays out the 5 major interpretations regarding the confusing poll data.

This is the first time I've seen a good explanation of the confusion without getting into the technical details of D+8 vs D+2 etc. Especially article #2 which explains that we are seeing a bi-modal distribution via contradiction in state vs national polls.

As a bonus, the hypothetical post-election recriminations from each scenario are funny.

I recommend reading them in order...

http://www.bobkrumm.com/blog/?p=2486
http://www.bobkrumm.com/blog/?p=2488
http://www.bobkrumm.com/blog/?p=2490
http://www.bobkrumm.com/blog/?p=2492
http://www.bobkrumm.com/blog/?p=2494
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 5 ways to read the polls
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
It's scenario 4 or 5. That is all. (Landslide against Obama.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
"Against Obama" is a good way to say it.  Mitt has run a better campaign than I thought he would but most of what I hear is anti-Obama.

Rush pointed out today that Obama and just about all his henchmen are campaigning in states they should already have locked up if he was going to win this.  Much of his ads and energy seems to be shoring up his base.  He wouldn't be doing this unless his campaign thought he needed to.

He was also noted that none of the talking heads seem to mention 2010 and the Tea Party as a factor.  He thinks they are fixated on 2008.  Rush asked what major elections have Democrats won since 2008? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »
"Against Obama" is a good way to say it.  Mitt has run a better campaign than I thought he would but most of what I hear is anti-Obama.

Rush pointed out today that Obama and just about all his henchmen are campaigning in states they should already have locked up if he was going to win this.  Much of his ads and energy seems to be shoring up his base.  He wouldn't be doing this unless his campaign thought he needed to.

He was also noted that none of the talking heads seem to mention 2010 and the Tea Party as a factor.  He thinks they are fixated on 2008.  Rush asked what major elections have Democrats won since 2008? 

What state do you live in?

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
Texas.  However, I wasn't talking about local chit chat.  I was talking about radio shows and internet stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

Mainly, he was pointing out that the polls aren't taking the 2010 election turn-out into account. And that, for purposes of scientific rigor, they really can't compare an off-year election to a presidential one. But common sense dictates that we should factor in 2010, in our (non-scientific) predictions.

Also, one of the polls was based on an 11% over-representation of Democrats, but the high tide of Democrat enthusiasm in 2008 only saw a 7% over-representation at the polls.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
I sure hope I am wrong, and God help the Republic, but scenarios one or two seem the most likely to me.  Given the recent shifts in most poll numbers and the abrupt decrease Romney's momentum this last week, Obama will take it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »
I sure hope I am wrong, and God help the Republic, but scenarios one or two seem the most likely to me.  Given the recent shifts in most poll numbers and the abrupt decrease Romney's momentum this last week, Obama will take it.

Put simply, those polls are bull. I've never been more confident of an election in my life- it's a landslide and it isn't for Obama. Wait till the race is called at 9pm EST tomorrow.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
Put simply, those polls are bull. I've never been more confident of an election in my life- it's a landslide and it isn't for Obama. Wait till the race is called at 9pm EST tomorrow.

I hope you are correct.  From your lips to the electorate's ears.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

I've got $300 bucks on Intrade riding on Romney, this is my gut reaction too and I put my money where my uh... gut is, but I will admit my frontal lobes are second-guessing this all the time.

The $800-odd will be nice if my gut was right though.  =)
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »
I hope you are correct.  From your lips to the electorate's ears.
IMO, Obama has seen nothing but negatives for the last month.  Benghazi may not be getting a lot of major press, but it is out there and festering.  From what I have heard, Obama and all his cohorts are seeing crowds less than half the size of the crowds they had in 2008.  Based on locations and such, I am hearing that Democrat early voting and registrations are down.  States that were supposed to be 50/50 or lean Obama are either swinging to Mitt or in play.  There is definitely less enthusiasm on the Democrats side.  There may not be a lot of enthusiasm to elect Mitt, but there definitly is for voting out Obama.  As Rush had said, the Obama campaign is not behaving like they have this election locked up.  They are behaving like they are behind and trying to gin up their support. 

That is my take on it at least.  We ought to know in the next 24 hours.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »
This Election is an attempt, by the rational, sane, and productive, to outrun the culture and the demographics.

It may work for this Election but it won't in the future.  What will work is what we might have a few years to figure out.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:22:35 AM »
This Election is an attempt, by the rational, sane, and productive, to outrun the culture and the demographics.

It may work for this Election but it won't in the future.  What will work is what we might have a few years to figure out.

Culture and demographics are on the side of conservatives, long term.

We just have to try to push through the collapse of the liberal culture as they breed themselves into irrelevancy.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
Culture and demographics are on the side of conservatives, long term.

In this country? How so?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »
@dittohead

Not to put words in mak's mouth, but conservative leaning people have more children (demographics) and are more likely to be 2 parent homes (culture).
The counterpoint is that immigrants of all nationalities have even more kids, but tend to vote democrat.

This is a tough tug of war for the culture and politics of long term US.

There are 2 reactions to point #2 [immigrants]
1-"Republicans must do more to pull the immigrant minorities into the party"
OR
2-"Republicans must shutdown or dramatically reduce the immigration rate."
Each kind of response is pretty much mutually exclusive.

aside...
I think this conflict is what longeyes refers to quite often in his posts without ever really explaining the thought. But I am not really sure, because he is always cryptic in his posts.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
Drew, this was a great thread, and interesting read, thanks :)

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »
From Krumm's prediction post:

Before I tell you that, I’m going to let you peer inside the gonculator that spat out the results.

Ok, what's his handle here?   =)
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
@dittohead

Not to put words in mak's mouth, but conservative leaning people have more children (demographics) and are more likely to be 2 parent homes (culture).
The counterpoint is that immigrants of all nationalities have even more kids, but tend to vote democrat.

This is a tough tug of war for the culture and politics of long term US.

There are 2 reactions to point #2 [immigrants]
1-"Republicans must do more to pull the immigrant minorities into the party"
OR
2-"Republicans must shutdown or dramatically reduce the immigration rate."
Each kind of response is pretty much mutually exclusive.

aside...
I think this conflict is what longeyes refers to quite often in his posts without ever really explaining the thought. But I am not really sure, because he is always cryptic in his posts.

And if immigrants continue to be liberal, they will no longer have as many children. Conservatives will win, one way or the other.

Further, if the immigrants continue to vote liberal, the US will no longer be an attractive place to emigrate to, creating fewer immigrants in the future. (Also note that while immigrants may vote liberally because of economic reasons, but they also tend to be socially conservative.)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »
I sure hope I am wrong, and God help the Republic, but scenarios one or two seem the most likely to me.  Given the recent shifts in most poll numbers and the abrupt decrease Romney's momentum this last week, Obama will take it.

I was right.  Dammit to hell.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 06:18:34 AM »
Looks like Nate Silver was right, and scenario #1 carried the day. Obama will carry Florida too, which makes it his optimistic scenario.

Romney carried none of his essential states (Florida, Virginia, Ohio). This is a pretty solid defeat. I am very disappointed.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 07:17:08 AM »
(Also note that while immigrants may vote liberally because of economic reasons, but they also tend to be socially conservative.)

Lenin was economically left-wing and socially conservative (opposed 'free love' and prostitution, believed 'free love' to be a bourgeois lie.). I'm sorry but I think this is the worst of both worlds.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
Lenin was economically left-wing and socially conservative (opposed 'free love' and prostitution, believed 'free love' to be a bourgeois lie.).

Wow. Very astute of him.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »
Fistful and Lenin... really, I have nothing further to say here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
And if immigrants continue to be liberal, they will no longer have as many children.

Is there anything to back this up?  If they are voting liberal now, what's going to change?

There's an awful lot of talk today about the shrinking "white male vote" and the changing demographics favoring the Democrats.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
Is there anything to back this up?  If they are voting liberal now, what's going to change?

There's an awful lot of talk today about the shrinking "white male vote" and the changing demographics favoring the Democrats.

That would be because they are taking "whites" as a monolithic group. In the near future, they are likely correct. However, "whites" can be split amongst those not breeding at replacement rates and those breeding far above replacement rates.

Which of those splits do you think conservatives of any color fall under? (i.e. how many large families of liberals do you know?)

In fact, the "changing demographics" likely will lead to the complete takeover of the Democrat party by minorities as the white liberals breed themselves out of relevancy.