Author Topic: Political Volunteering?  (Read 701 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Political Volunteering?
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
A lot of people are complaining about the outcome of the election but I am curious about the questions below.

So how many of you actually volunteer time with your political party of choice, volunteer to help out a candidate, knock on doors, make calls, etc.?

A lot of you also complain about the choice of candidates, have you went the extra mile to get a "better" candidate on the ballot?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Political Volunteering?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
Many years ago, I wanted to get involved in politics at the grass roots level. I found that it involved a lot of talking to strangers. And that is not something I am good at, and something that I hate doing.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
Yes, actually I did this time.  Are we supposed to give details?  I did not go door-to-door kissing hands and shaking babies, if that's what you're talking about; the candidates can do that.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:23 PM »
Many years ago, I wanted to get involved in politics at the grass roots level. I found that it involved a lot of talking to strangers. And that is not something I am good at, and something that I hate doing.

You can get elected/nominated to the Central Commitee of the county you live in. Volunteer a couple saturdays to deliver political signs (people call to the party or the canididate to get a yard sign) all you have to do is deliver it to the address. You can host a party at your house for your friends to participate in a conference call with a canididate, etc.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:39:52 PM »
In 1994, 1996, and 1998 I worked on the campaign of a Republican congressional candidate. I put in a ton of hours dropping off literature, yard signs, doing phone banks, etc. I probably put in 20 hours or more a week in the active months of the campaign.

In 2000 I worked on the Bush campaign, doing phone banks and be a poll watcher. I did the same in 2002 for Scott McCallum's gubernatorial campaign.

From 2001 to 2006 I headed up the Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association and its political action committee. Besides helping on campaigns, I organized fund-raisers for the PAC. We raised $35,000 (not a lot, but a lot of work) in 2006, and lesser amounts in prior years.

Now I feel like I've done my time.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »
I was an executive on the MN state LP committee for a while, and heavily involved in the MN LP for a few years around 2004. After that I worked solely on other political causes causes; guns, off road vehicle access, aviation, and a few others.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi