Author Topic: Wi-Fi routers, school me some.  (Read 1305 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Wi-Fi routers, school me some.
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »
I'm being lazy.
My Wi-Fi  router is a 11 year old 2-Wire model. In the last few years we've added quite a bit to our wireless crap.
Saturday when the daughter and family were over I noticed things slowing down and looked at my network and saw that there were 11 devices active. Well, crap, no wonder.
I shut down a few things that weren't actually being used like the Roku and my old netbook and killed the wi-fi on the wife's machine since she is connected via ethernet  which helped some.
So, are current production Wi-Fi router any improved from 11+ years ago or do I just need to manage my network a little more?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Wi-Fi routers, school me some.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »
Current quality devices are a major leap in range and speed over 11 year old equipment.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »
I'm being lazy.
My Wi-Fi  router is a 11 year old 2-Wire model. In the last few years we've added quite a bit to our wireless crap.
Saturday when the daughter and family were over I noticed things slowing down and looked at my network and saw that there were 11 devices active. Well, crap, no wonder.
I shut down a few things that weren't actually being used like the Roku and my old netbook and killed the wi-fi on the wife's machine since she is connected via ethernet  which helped some.
So, are current production Wi-Fi router any improved from 11+ years ago or do I just need to manage my network a little more?

Do you happen to know what protocol your current network is running on? Trying to think what was standard 11 years ago - was it even 802.11b, at that point?

Yes, modern routers are leaps and bounds ahead of 11-year-old stuff. And not incredibly expensive, generally.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »
Also, many new routers allow a guest network, which in some models you can configure to a lower priority than the primary network. So if you have a house full of guests, and don't like some of them, you can put them on the guest network. :)

I actually run my Cradlepoint with the guest network on and broadcasting, and my primary network not broadcasting. That way I keep my personal devices configured to the primary network, and when people visit, they just need to enter the guest network password, versus having to add the hidden network. Easier for them, better security for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »

Basic: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN16/

Glorious: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/

If you go with a lower end router, try replacing the stock antenna with aftermarket ones.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »
Brand-wise, I'd go with Asus, the ones RevDisk posted are good ones. I'd avoid Linksys, the brand ain't what it used to be. I've been bitten by the last two I've bought (known firmware issues that are never fixed). My current one is hobbling along running DD-WRT, but even then has issues. I won't be buying any more Linksys stuff.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
I've had very good experience with the ASUS RT-N66U.  Still overkill for your likely needs, although not as much overkill as the RT-AC3200.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
I have the rt-n66u with one directional dish attenna and 2 upgraded ones for the other 2 . It rocks the house and the gamer in the trailer in the driveway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
Brand-wise, I'd go with Asus, the ones RevDisk posted are good ones. I'd avoid Linksys, the brand ain't what it used to be. I've been bitten by the last two I've bought (known firmware issues that are never fixed). My current one is hobbling along running DD-WRT, but even then has issues. I won't be buying any more Linksys stuff.

Back in the day, I'd say anyone was a fool to buy anything but Linksys. They used to be rock solid. Quality has significantly lapsed in the last couple years. Asus works reliably. Wish they were slightly cheaper, but eh.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Once Cisco bought Linksys, they turned to crap. Add in their "cloud" routing that's been hacked a half dozen times and they're not worth the blue plastic they're made of. The Asus suggested are great routers.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
I've had very good experience with the ASUS RT-N66U.

Same here.  I really like mine.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.