Author Topic: Walking dead season 4  (Read 79216 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Walking dead season 4
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
I'm still cheesed off that they didn't jack all the military hardware that they rightfully should of after they broke the governor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
I'm still cheesed off that they didn't jack all the military hardware that they rightfully should of after they broke the governor.

But that would have made sense.

We can't go making sense...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
I thought they were making Carol so obvious they were setting up a red herring.  Nope. 

It is killing me that they don't have rotating shifts of stick stabbers.  Waiting till there is a horde threatening to knock down the fence... Well, that is why you don't have bacon now!
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2013, 12:18:56 AM »
I've yet to see a single walker with the dexterity to be able to climb up on a bulldozer while it's plodding forward at half a mile an hour.

It would be a NICE change of pace to include some "28 days" style rage zombies. >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
I've yet to see a single walker with the dexterity to be able to climb up on a bulldozer while it's plodding forward at half a mile an hour.

It would be a NICE change of pace to include some "28 days" style rage zombies. >:D

Or some fat boys like zombie land....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
Oh and anyone catch Rick's miss?  When Carol was running back, he took his shot and hit the female zombie center mass.  She got back up and he had to take the head shot.
JD

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »
Old habits die hard, I guess.   

I wonder what they're going to do about Carol?   Tyreese seemed to have the greatest stake in finding the murderers but he's out on the walkabout and his continued participation in lifely activities seems dubious.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
Old habits die hard, I guess.   

I wonder what they're going to do about Carol?   Tyreese seemed to have the greatest stake in finding the murderers but he's out on the walkabout and his continued participation in lifely activities seems dubious.

Oh no, that right there is too good of a drama to let pass.  He'll survive.  But, being a surplus of black males....I suspect the medic buys it.   :laugh:

Anyone catching the vibe between Machone and Daryl?  In the comic, Machone breaks Tyreese away from his love interest.  Just sayin, I see a love triangle forming. And Carol is turning out to be hard and maybe a little crazy deep down.
JD

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
Oh no, that right there is too good of a drama to let pass.  He'll survive.  But, being a surplus of black males....I suspect the medic buys it.   :laugh:

Anyone catching the vibe between Machone and Daryl?  In the comic, Machone breaks Tyreese away from his love interest.  Just sayin, I see a love triangle forming. And Carol is turning out to be hard and maybe a little crazy deep down.

Ooh, scary. Chick fight! Michonne's a better straight-up fighter, but we have now learned that Carol plays dirty...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
I do find it out of character for Carol to burn the bodies, though.  She has hardened up and is capable of a humane coup-de-grace of a dead person who is not quite yet converted to a zed, but she's always been respectful of the corpse afterwards.  After all, once it has scrambled brains it can't get up and snack on anyone.  Perfectly fine to bury it conventionally.

Burning the bodies does no good in regards to the infection because the bodies weren't incinerated.  Just surface-seared.  They're still blue-rare inside.  And the bedding, the property, the blood trails on the floor... none of that was sanitized which is far more dangerous than the bodies.  This whole infection seems to be respiratory rather than blood-borne.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »
Remember kiddies.
There is nothing worse than a hoard of the un-dead, than a hoard of the un-dead on fire.

But on that note after seeing that giant mass off zombies, I think they need to go get on of the 6x6's that was in the town and do some off roding.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
Also... zombies!  Thousands of them!  

Let's say you were sitting on hundreds of thousands of rounds of .223, and had an AR set up exactly how you would like.

How many people would you need to wipe out 5000 zombies from rifle range as they marched towards you at 1 mile per hour?  At what distance would you start shooting at them?

If it's just me all by my lonesome self, I could place a headshot every shot from 300 yards and closer, firing one shot every 2 seconds, with a fixed 4x scope of some sort.

Zombies moving at 1mph will close 300 yards in about 1/5 of an hour, or 12 minutes.  A mass of zombies 5000 deep where each zombie consumes 4 square feet will have a surface area of 20,000 square feet.  If in the rough shape of a hybrid squarish-circle mob, the radius would be about 80 feet and the width of the wall moving towards you would be about 160 feet.

12 minutes of constant shooting, 30 headshots per minute, yields 360 dead zombies.  All the zombies shot would be on the leading edge of the mass, hopefully the shooter is just moving from left to right or right to left, typewriter style.  160 feet of surface area at 2 feet per zombie results in 80 zombies per wave, so I would get rid of 4-5 waves of zombies before the whole mass closed 300 yards.  The 5th wave would be 10 feet away after shooting for 12 minutes.

If I had a fire team consisting of 10 total shooters, all capable of head shots at 300 yards and closer at a rate of 1 shot per 2 seconds, I'd have 3600 dead zombies after 12 minutes.  At 80 zombies per wave, we'd end up chewing through 45 waves of zombies, buying us an extra 90 feet after 12 minutes of constant firing.  This also leaves our flanks and rear exposed to stray zeds who  are not part of the main herd.

Fifteen shooters dedicated to herd destruction shooting at that skill and rate would yield 4800 dead zombies after 12 minutes.  They would push through 4800 of the 5000 zombies in 12 minutes, 60 waves which would yield 120 feet of distance for the remaining 200 zombies.  If zed is moving 1mph or 300 yards in 12 minutes, then he will need 96 seconds to cross 40 yards.  Fifteen marksmen can fire 200 shots in 90 seconds with no problem.  That just leaves flank and rearguards.  Add 2 shooters to the left and right sides to sweep up strays that would otherwise distract the main 15 shooters, and 2 to the rear.  21 shooters with a 500 round loadout should be able to eliminate that herd.
--Lysander Spooner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »

Let's say you were sitting on hundreds of thousands of rounds of .223, and had an AR set up exactly how you would like.

How many people would you need to wipe out 5000 zombies from rifle range as they marched towards you at 1 mile per hour?  At what distance would you start shooting at them?

If it's just me all by my lonesome self, I could place a headshot every shot from 300 yards and closer, firing one shot every 2 seconds, with a fixed 4x scope of some sort.

Zombies moving at 1mph will close 300 yards in about 1/5 of an hour, or 12 minutes.  A mass of zombies 5000 deep where each zombie consumes 4 square feet will have a surface area of 20,000 square feet.  If in the rough shape of a hybrid squarish-circle mob, the radius would be about 80 feet and the width of the wall moving towards you would be about 160 feet.

12 minutes of constant shooting, 30 headshots per minute, yields 360 dead zombies.  All the zombies shot would be on the leading edge of the mass, hopefully the shooter is just moving from left to right or right to left, typewriter style.  160 feet of surface area at 2 feet per zombie results in 80 zombies per wave, so I would get rid of 4-5 waves of zombies before the whole mass closed 300 yards.  The 5th wave would be 10 feet away after shooting for 12 minutes.

If I had a fire team consisting of 10 total shooters, all capable of head shots at 300 yards and closer at a rate of 1 shot per 2 seconds, I'd have 3600 dead zombies after 12 minutes.  At 80 zombies per wave, we'd end up chewing through 45 waves of zombies, buying us an extra 90 feet after 12 minutes of constant firing.  This also leaves our flanks and rear exposed to stray zeds who  are not part of the main herd.

Fifteen shooters dedicated to herd destruction shooting at that skill and rate would yield 4800 dead zombies after 12 minutes.  They would push through 4800 of the 5000 zombies in 12 minutes, 60 waves which would yield 120 feet of distance for the remaining 200 zombies.  If zed is moving 1mph or 300 yards in 12 minutes, then he will need 96 seconds to cross 40 yards.  Fifteen marksmen can fire 200 shots in 90 seconds with no problem.  That just leaves flank and rearguards.  Add 2 shooters to the left and right sides to sweep up strays that would otherwise distract the main 15 shooters, and 2 to the rear.  21 shooters with a 500 round loadout should be able to eliminate that herd.

Congratulations! You've just condensed a couple seasons of zed-soap television down to a couple of hours, with padding for character development, for which the only interested advertisers would be AR-15, ammunition and optics manufacturers.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
Congratulations! You've just condensed a couple seasons of zed-soap television down to a couple of hours, with padding for character development, for which the only interested advertisers would be AR-15, ammunition and optics manufacturers.

And HS math instructors  =D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
Maybe in a laboratory.  And assuming you've only got undead approaching from the front.  And ten solid shooters.  And hundreds of pounds of ammo handy.  And no margin of error.  Lulz
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
The speed of the zombie wave would be reduced as the ones in back had to start climbing over the double-dead ones that were already headshot.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
And I think if you're going to work on thinning the herd, you'll need some kind of choke point, with a solid escape route and a secondary. 
Draw the undead into a corridor you can control. 
Another factor is malfunctions and break downs.  You will need some kind of stand off.  Standing open ground to fight them is pure madness.
JD

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Walking dead season 4
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »

What's the math look like with mag changes?

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
And I think if you're going to work on thinning the herd, you'll need some kind of choke point,

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
What's the math look like with mag changes?

Sent via tapatalk

That includes mag changes.  30 shots per minute, 30rd mags, one mag change per minute.

In a typical Appleseed we teach one well-aimed shot every 3-5 seconds, but when we went to Fort Bliss to teach an SDM group, we were told to alter the curriculum to a much faster rate.  We all confirmed it wasn't an unrealistic rate on our own, prior to going.  Pushing hard, I can get two shots off every respiratory cycle, and get that respiratory cycle to 2-3 seconds each.  It's fatiguing, and I don't think I could keep it up for 15 minutes... but in this particular application the marksmanship demands get easier and easier as the zeds come closer.  Within 100 yards, I could get 50-60 rounds off in a minute and still maintain 6" accuracy while moving from target to target.

Keep in mind, zed has no projectile weapons to cause you consternation.  You can get a classic well-stabilized shooting position and just go to town.

You also get overpenetration working for you... certainly not every shot, but maybe 1 in 10 or so will result in a double-strike that puts down a walker behind your target.
--Lysander Spooner

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »
Also... zombies!  Thousands of them! 

Scenarios like this make me wish for a flight of F-4 Phantoms and a NAPALM  STRIKE! >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:21 AM »
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »
That includes mag changes.  30 shots per minute, 30rd mags, one mag change per minute.

In a typical Appleseed we teach one well-aimed shot every 3-5 seconds, but when we went to Fort Bliss to teach an SDM group, we were told to alter the curriculum to a much faster rate.  We all confirmed it wasn't an unrealistic rate on our own, prior to going.  Pushing hard, I can get two shots off every respiratory cycle, and get that respiratory cycle to 2-3 seconds each.  It's fatiguing, and I don't think I could keep it up for 15 minutes... but in this particular application the marksmanship demands get easier and easier as the zeds come closer.  Within 100 yards, I could get 50-60 rounds off in a minute and still maintain 6" accuracy while moving from target to target.

Keep in mind, zed has no projectile weapons to cause you consternation.  You can get a classic well-stabilized shooting position and just go to town.

You also get overpenetration working for you... certainly not every shot, but maybe 1 in 10 or so will result in a double-strike that puts down a walker behind your target.

Because a mob of undead bearing down on your pos won't break your concentration...nope.....not at all..... 
JD