Author Topic: "Helicopter Mothers"???  (Read 5282 times)

Preacherman

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« on: November 06, 2005, 05:56:50 AM »
This article from the Sunday Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=VW150Z4IBVA4DQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2005/11/06/nparent06.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/06/ixhome.html) is very interesting as a possible reason why so many in Europe won't face up to the harsh realities of dealing with terrorism, etc. - they simply aren't mature enough to understand the full implications of the situation.  Made me think so, anyway...  Does anyone think that something similar is happening in the USA?  I don't see it where I live, in the South, but it may be happening in Blue-State country.

How the 'helicopter mother' is taking off

By Nina Goswami

(Filed: 06/11/2005)

They do their children's homework, don't let them lift a finger around the home and, when they hit university age, organise everything from their laundry to their social lives and even their course research. Welcome to the world of the "helicopter mums".

This new breed of parent "hovers" over every state of their child's development and, according to experts, is leading to a prolonged adolescence that runs well into adulthood.

More than a half of men aged 20-24 were still living with their parents after finishing their education, and more than a third of women, according to the most recent research. Now experts believe that micromanaging parents may be partly responsible.

Helen Johnson, the author of the parents' guidebook, Don't Tell Me What To Do, Just Send Money, said: "Parents are increasingly treating their children in a childish way when they should be preparing them for adulthood. They're sending their children the message that they're not capable of handling their own life."

This message, according to Frank Furedi, a professor of sociology at the University of Kent, is so strong that teenagers and young adults do not bother to learn the skills they need to leave the parental home.

"Some can't even walk to the corner shop without their mother in tow, which is why men are increasingly behaving like 14-year-olds well into their twenties," said Prof Furedi, the author of Paranoid Parenting.

After college, 56 per cent of men and 37 per cent of women aged between 20 and 24 were still living with their parents, according to the most recent figures from the Office of National Statistics published in 2003. This accounts for approximately 980,000 men and 650,000 women having not fled the nest.

The numbers increased 50 per cent in a decade, which researchers say is such a big jump that it cannot be the result of rising house prices and the difficulty young people have getting onto the property ladder.

Helicopter parents have become so dominant that some universities are tailoring open days more for the parents than for prospective students.

At Coventry University they encourage parents to attend open days and have seen the numbers of parents accompanying their children rise from a third to almost 100 per cent in the past five years.

Ali Bushnell, the communications officer at the university, said that the involvement of parents - especially mothers - does not end at the open day. "We have parents phoning up our recruitment services and admissions department to find out how their son or daughter is progressing, hoping we can give them the equivalent of a school report," she said.

"More bizarrely one of our students had told her mother that she was having problems making friends so her mother called us and asked if we could organise it so her daughter could make some pals."

In Britain, "helicopter mothering" has yet to reach the same proportions as in Italy where one in three men aged between 30 and 40 still live with their parents.

In one recent Italian court case a mother lost custody of her 11-year-old son to her former husband because she was "too over-protective of her child, which could cause adolescent problems".
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Telperion

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 07:53:30 AM »
It already happens in the US, and they're called the same thing, "helicopter parents".  Being a recent college grad, I've seen some of it upfront.  I was a lab instructor twice during college, and the professors told us they actually had parents calling about junior's test scores, etc.

There's a lot of things that create helicopter parents.  There's something of dogma among boomer parents that "unstructured time" is a terrible thing, so parents regiment their childrens' day with all sorts of activities that require them to micromanage their time.  Then there is also the belief that everybody has to go to college.  This increases the competitiveness of college admissions and forces parents to spend time and money on SAT prep courses, tutoring, and other micromanagement of their kids' academics.  There are actually admission consultants who charge thousands of dollars to tweak and spin every aspect of admission applications, all under the belief that unless junior gets into the Ivy League, he'll be a miserable failure the rest of his life.  That's just the academic side -- I don't know all the psychological aspects that are behind hovering parents.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »
Not really, Europeans have always been that way, as have the Chinese.  What we deem as "suffocating", they deem caring and love.

I could not wait to go out on my own at 18!  Finally I could put my feet on the furniture, smoke and have a beer!

Does seem very odd that this is happening in England of all places (English parents not noted for their over attention to their children).  France, Germany and Italy have always been this way.  Maybe part of the European Union is mixing into the UK.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 08:33:33 AM »
I'm making mine as independent as possible because I'll be darned if I'm going to be taking care of them when they're 25 if they're healthy and able to take care of themselves.

That being said, I did tell Michael I was going to quit my job and follow him around base to base and kick the hell out of anyone who was mean to him. Smiley

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:39:54 AM »
I work with a woman who still cleans her 21 year old sons room and gives him an allowance. Sheesh. I'm hoping they're fairly self-supporting by 21 and at most living here during holidays and summer breaks.

Actually, my oldest already is self-supporting, I guess, and he won't turn 19 till next month.

I have noticed that my grocery bill has dropped significantly in the past month..there goes the national debt if they're feeding him. Smiley

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:56:33 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
That being said, I did tell Michael I was going to quit my job and follow him around base to base and kick the hell out of anyone who was mean to him. Smiley
Even better, you can call his division chief and complain!  Back when my wife was still in the Navy, and was a division chief and department head, a mother called her to complain that her daughter, a young hospitalman right out of 'A' school, was having to work too many weekends!  My wife gently pointed out that in the military, and even more so in military healthcare, taking care of the patients is a 24/7/365 endeavor, and the youngest and lowest-ranked sailors tended to get the crappiest shifts.  The mother was not happy with this, and threatened to call the hospital commander, an O-6 who happened to know my wife very well.  Apparently, the mother did so, and the Captain told her that if he overruled one of his chiefs, they would find his body floating in the bay, and her daughter would be on permanent head cleaning duty.   My wife never heard back from the mother after that, and the daughter tended to avoid my wife whenever possible for the next three months.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Art Eatman

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 11:44:42 AM »
I'm aware of this from reading. although SFAIK there is none of it here in Terlingua.  I was totally on my own from middle-teens, basically, and my son has been on his own since age 18.  

I can see families working together to make a business a success.  That''s as old as family businessess/ranches/farms.   For a young adult to actually be dependent on the parents for any notable amount of support beyond, say, college or advanced studies, is cause for head-shaking.  I sure would have great difficulty in having any respect for either the parents or the offspring...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 01:07:45 PM »
I can't count the number of kids that have their parents up here just about every weekend.  Or the kids pacing up and down the hall every night talking to their parents on the phone for hours.  They can't seperate for some reason.

I call my parents when I need to, go home when I have to, and don't expect much from them but to continue paying for school Smiley
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Iain

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 01:59:40 PM »
I'd like to point out that house prices here are pretty insane.

A friend recently sold his Victorian two-up two-down terrace house, with a postage stamp garden, in a not particularly nice area of a town that is on a just about tolerable commute from a not particularly wonderful city for around $250,000 US.

Not always as simple as the Euro-weenie myth.

The article attempts to deny this. In the name of greater opportunities for all graduates are now ten a penny. Graduate starting salaries are pretty poor, and in a post-grants age, graduates have debts too. We get the spiel about how we're all soft, and how in the age of wolves and colder winters (circa 1955) people were tougher. Of course those people heard how people were tougher in the age of sabre-toothed tigers and the last ice age (circa 1920)

Preacherman - I'm curious as to why you think this phenomenon might be occuring in 'Blue State country'. Is this merely a way of saying 'big East/West cities with crazy real estate' or does this political division mark something more significant for you?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 04:01:35 PM »
Or the kids pacing up and down the hall every night talking to their parents on the phone for hours.  They can't seperate for some reason.
IMO emotional support is a little different than living independantly. I don't have a wife/girlfriend and still depend on my parents/friends at home heavily for emotional support. I'm currently in the military and while I didn't move out until I was 20 (I was attending community college and paying for everything myself so I just plain didn't have the money to move out), I paid for everything myself. I'm a momma's boy, but I'm capable of surviving on my own.

mtnbkr

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 04:34:11 PM »
Iain, we have the same problems here with low wages, high student loan debt, and high home prices/rents.  When I started out, I didn't know many people who lived alone.  Everyone had roommates or were married.  That's how you got by.  One person can't afford a house (or even an apartment sometimes), but 3-4 can afford the rent on a large one.  You do that till you can afford a place of your own.

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 04:38:55 PM »
OK, point taken, but it was just one of many examples I could give.

I know one that will go to his parents for homework help, not the instructors or learning center or other students.

One kid had his parents call to complain about the food in the cafeteria, instead of emailing food services, or filling out the comment card.

There was an article about this in one of the school news sources.  Another example given was a girls mother calling the department head and requesting that they assign less homework.

My point is, there are still quite a bit of people in college that rely on their parents hundreds of miles away to take care of an issue with someone halfway across campus.

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »
Then we both agree - that kind of stuff is quite bad. Do they have their parents call to breakup with their girlfriends/boyfriends, too?

"Sorry, Susan, but Nathanial just doesn't think you 'get your freak on' quite enough."

P95Carry

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 04:53:16 PM »
My step kids are way short of perfect but thankfully my dear wife does not hover and never has.  She/we try and instill (with difficulty at times) a degree of self-sufficiency but that moderated by enough caring to enable them to still feel some security.

Of course some of the worst parents are the total antithesis - they do zero for or with their kids who are little more than an incumbrance - and it is those who get thrust onto the state in one way or another - welfare, jail - etc.

But IMO yes - ''hover'' is bad - it's making a breed of total whimps for one thing.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Standing Wolf

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 06:51:27 PM »
After college, 56 per cent of men and 37 per cent of women aged between 20 and 24 were still living with their parents, according to the most recent figures from the Office of National Statistics published in 2003. This accounts for approximately 980,000 men and 650,000 women having not fled the nest.
Whew! Small wonder the English live in such a sorry excuse for a country.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

jefnvk

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 08:51:40 PM »
Then we both agree - that kind of stuff is quite bad. Do they have their parents call to breakup with their girlfriends/boyfriends, too?
Wouldn't suprise me, except for the fact that there are no women up here to date.

Ron

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 09:07:15 AM »
I'm curious as to why you think this phenomenon might be occuring in 'Blue State country'. Is this merely a way of saying 'big East/West cities with crazy real estate' or does this political division mark something more significant for you?
This may or may not be inline with PM's take but this is what I think.

The red states still have some of what is called "rugged individualism". Much more traditional in their outlook on the world and childrearing.

The Blue States are home to the big cities with whole generations of the dependency class.  The Blue States are also the home of leftyism (called liberalism falsly).  The left has some new ideas on right, wrong and child rearing that is not very traditional.

jefnvk

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »
The red states still have some of what is called "rugged individualism". Much more traditional in their outlook on the world and childrearing.

The Blue States are home to the big cities with whole generations of the dependency class.  The Blue States are also the home of leftyism (called liberalism falsly).  The left has some new ideas on right, wrong and child rearing that is not very traditional.
I'm suprised people still lump everything in a blue or red state as the same.  I live in a blue state, and if you never went to the Detroit/Ann Arbor/Lansing part you wouldn't know it.

I know one person from North Cali, and he says that area is pretty much indistinguishable from somewhere like Nevada or Idaho.

Heavy people concentration areas is what causes blue states, not a statewide belief.

"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 03:47:42 PM »
A friend recently sold his Victorian two-up two-down terrace house, with a postage stamp garden, in a not particularly nice area of a town that is on a just about tolerable commute from a not particularly wonderful city for around $250,000 US.
For the record, $250,000 wont buy you a spot in a trailer park in the city of Seattle, and larger cities are even more expensive. My parents live in a 4 bedroom that is tax-assesed at $400,000. They bought it for $80,000 in the 1980s and it is not notable in any way (built in the 1960s).

Kharn

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 04:03:56 PM »
I lived with one of those helicopter mom's kids my junior year of college. He called his parents for >45min every day and cried a lot on the phone because 12 credits a semester majoring in business was "hard". Fricken whiner, I had at least 15 a semester and I was in chemical engineering. That drove me to getting a dorm room all to myself my senior year, the best decision I ever made in my college career.

Kharn

DrAmazon

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 04:05:43 PM »
Yes, some of the parents are this bad.  To some extent, colleges are encouraging it with their "satisfy the customer" mentality.  I guess during freshman advising some of the students were calling home for every little decision "Can I get up in time to make an 11 o'clock class?" was the favorite that I overheard.  

What is even funnier is when the "helicopters" crash into the privacy requirements that colleges must follow under FERPA.  (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html)

Parent:I'd like to talk to you about billy's grade in your class.

Me: Hold on just a minute.  (Tap on computer and call up database) I'm really sorry, but it doesn't appear that Billy signed the release of his academic information to you.  I can't tell you anything about the class without that release.

Parent: I write the checks.

Me: Yes, I understand sir, but this is a federal law and I have to follow it.  

It typically goes downhill from there.  My goal is to get that call passed off to the dean's office ASAP.

What I love is when the student has told the parent what a -itch I am, and how unfair I am and that they're getting all As.  But I can't tell the parent that their kid hasn't gotten a grade over 60% all semester and doesn't usually come to class.
Experiment with a chemist!

Iain

• friend
"Helicopter Mothers"???
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 02:45:02 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
For the record, $250,000 wont buy you a spot in a trailer park in the city of Seattle, and larger cities are even more expensive. My parents live in a 4 bedroom that is tax-assesed at $400,000. They bought it for $80,000 in the 1980s and it is not notable in any way (built in the 1960s).
I was a little irritated when I read the article and some of the assumptions that followed. One or two truly excellent contributions to this thread.

I'm sure property prices in the US are crazy too. I just had a look on the BBC website, apparently the average house in my postcode is £173,577, for detached that rises to £260,865. I don't live in a nice town. I'm sure things are pretty much equivalent, but there is a great deal of despondency in my generation about getting on the property ladder. The average age of a first time buyer is now over 30.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also