Author Topic: "Green" Burials  (Read 4630 times)

Iain

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 12:17:33 PM »
Quote from: charby
When Nate died on "Six Feet Under"
Well that's just ruined all those series that I've missed because it gets shown at stupidly late times. I saw series 1 and 2, but sort of lost interest.

Quite a while ago I saw a programme about the way that local parish cemeteries used to be run in England, 14 century sort of time. They started in one corner and buried people wrapped in nothing more than cloth, worked logically through the available space, and when it ran out they started over. Any bones found were moved to an ossuary in the crypt, of which very few examples remain. It occurred to me at the time that given a nice plot of land, and a little chapel with a crypt, there was probably good money in reviving the idea.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
"Green" Burials
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 09:21:28 PM »
I've always thought that embalming was littering. Stuff me in a carboard box, turn me to ash, and scatter me like Donny in 'The Big Lebowski'.

I'll probably get my free burial at sea when I croak. Make some bored squids get into their whites and toss my can overboard.

I hope they hit a baby seal right in the noggin.

USP45usp

• friend
"Green" Burials
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 09:18:09 AM »
I always found a casket (with all the frills), having to dig a ditch (why should I pay for someone to dig a ditch?), the whole thing is just a waste of money.

Many people spend half their lives (the ones that think ahead) paying for their death.

Me, use it for some good firearms, a car or two, maybe a down payment on a house.

Just send me to the morgue, pull out any good body parts (and the way that I'm going, won't be much of a selection), throw me into the oven and then sweep the ashes into a can.

Whomever is alive that wants to deal with my ashes can do whatever they want with em.  I'm dead, I don't really care what happens afterward.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
"Green" Burials
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 09:40:47 AM »
I would prefer to be loaded into a wooden river boat with all my guns and gear, pushed off into the Yukon and torched in Viking fashion. I don't think the goobermint would approve, so it's "burn and scatter" for me.
Vikings would be cremated in a pyre (granted that pyre was often their ship or boat if they had one) and then they were placed in a burial mound with their armor and weapons not passed on.  I think the setting it out to sea was a different class of barbarians but I can't think which one at the moment.  

Personally that is how I want to be taken care of, even if the pyre might be a no go.  Cremate me and build a little mound of dirt with me and a 45 or two in the middle it, out in the woods somewhere by a nice oak tree....preferably away from game trails I don't want the critters getting revenge be peeing on me during their daily commute.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
"Green" Burials
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 09:50:06 AM »
Given my druthers, I'd prefer a Martian burial.  As described in Stranger in a Strange Land.  But I doubt that the local authorities or those who survive my leaving this mortal coil would find that palatable.

Green burial w/ no embalming or the like is my 2nd choice.  Once I've shed this vessel, I've no more need for the complex organic compounds that make it up so let other life make use of it.  The only caveat would be if *I* am still around (as in my mind) I want the skull to put on my desk.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
"Green" Burials
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2006, 09:54:26 AM »
I want my head severed, preserved and used to scare kids on halloween!

The rest of it should be fed to vultures.
Sounds like my grandfather

He wanted to be cremated, but first he wanted his eyes taken out and put into a jar of formaldehyde and the jar put on top of his urn, so he could watch people and make sure no one was messing with his ashes was his excuse.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Strings

"Green" Burials
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
Well, I guess Sindawe Groks rightly, and with much goodness! Wink