Author Topic: What She's Missing...  (Read 2193 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
What She's Missing...
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:04:40 AM »
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/JenniferRobackMorse/2006/08/07/the_real_third_rail_in_politics

Americas total fertility rate peaked in 1957 at 3.68 babies per woman. Today, our fertility rate hovers right around the replacement rate of 2.1. The fertility of college educated non-Hispanic white women is now around 1.7. Since these are the women whose children are most likely to become productive taxpaying citizens, their fall in fertility takes a particularly large toll on the future taxes paid into the Social Security system.
What she fails to mention that's even more of a problem than less taxes being payed is the inevitable dumbing down of America. If the smart people stop breeding there's gonna be a lot less smart people around. And that's the real problem because dummies just cannot run corporartions, command military units, do scientific research, be doctors and all the other jobs that need doing that require actual intellectual ability.

That 1.71 bodes ill for the country..
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

mtnbkr

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:51:22 AM »
I've heard that argument before.  I don't buy it because I know too many smart and talented people who never went to college and are doing as well or better than folks that did.  It isn't the school, it's the drive.

For example, a friend of mine doesn't have a college degree nor even a HS diploma, yet is a talented system engineer.  I don't know his salary, but I'd be surprised if it weren't close to or above 100k given he's turned down that sort of money because he didn't want to work in DC.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What She's Missing...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:57:29 AM »
It's all fluoride's fault.

Fluoridation of our drinking water was a government plot concocted by Commies that McCarthy missed and who were working in conjunction with Reptilian Aliens...

People have been bitching about the dumbing down of America for generations. I bet the outcries were horrendous when they stopped teaching kids how to calculate yield per acre as a percentage of total profit...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Werewolf

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:59:19 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
I've heard that argument before.  I don't buy it because I know too many smart and talented people who never went to college and are doing as well or better than folks that did.  It isn't the school, it's the drive.

For example, a friend of mine doesn't have a college degree nor even a HS diploma, yet is a talented system engineer.  I don't know his salary, but I'd be surprised if it weren't close to or above 100k given he's turned down that sort of money because he didn't want to work in DC.  

Chris
Good point - the statistic is it seems flawed. However, my gut tells me that the birthrate amongst successfull people with drive and intelligence is probably lower than that of the rest of society. That will eventually lead to a problem if it continues.

I'll predict that in a few hundred years there will be a core of elite, intelligent folk running things and the covert caste system that exists today will become very overt - maybe as over as in Brave New World if the present trend continues.

On the other hand the cream does tent to rise to the top - especially in the USA - so maybe there won't be a problem - I wouldn't make that bet though.

Fight Me Online

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
What She's Missing...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:44:21 AM »
So...
The tax payers aren't having kids, which'll go on to pay taxes.
And the non tax payers are having more kids, which wont pay taxes either.
And the solution is to make the tax payers have more babies?
Is that what she's getting at?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
What She's Missing...
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 08:29:30 AM »
The whole argument is incredibly flawed.  How many entrepreneurs in America never went to or finished college?  How many people working skilled jobs never went to college?  How many immigrants are coming and providing the most dynamic part of the US economy?  There are many many factors that are all ignored in that statement.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Nightfall

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 08:38:31 AM »
Maybe them well edumacated folks aren't breeding because they have the brains to realize what a huge responsibility/time drain/money drain raising kids is.

All this talk almost makes me feel bad about looking forward to a vasectomy. Almost. :p
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

DrAmazon

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »
Here's my quibble-how are they determining the "fertility rate"?  Is that determination based on live births and the number of women of that demographic?  Or is it somehow based on actual numbers of fertile women?  Citing a reduced "fertility rate" sparks concerns like what has already been stated about fluoride, cell phones, hormones in milk etc.  If the rate is based just on the number of births compared to the number of women, the reduced fertility is taking into account birth control, which would reduce this fertility rate, but we know the cause.

I HATE lousy statistics masquerading as science...
Experiment with a chemist!

crt360

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 01:05:09 PM »
Americas total fertility rate peaked in 1957 at 3.68 babies per woman.
  The fertility of college educated non-Hispanic white women is now around 1.7
What was the fertility rate of college educated non-Hispanic white women in 1957?  What is America's total fertility rate today?

Her statistics are worthless to the reader.

Do we really want the same rate of population growth that we had fifty years ago?

If she really wants to increase the number of kids being had by college educated couples, she should look at the outrageous cost of higher education.  My student loan debt represents at least one kid I'm not going to pay for.  We're told our childrens' college education will cost twice as much as ours, which discourages having children even more.  In contrast, my parents went to college in the '50s/60s and had little or no school debt when they got out.  I'm sure my brother and I cost less to raise than I borrowed to become an "educated" tax-payer.
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
What She's Missing...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:08:58 PM »
Quote from: Werewolf
If the smart people stop breeding there's gonna be a lot less smart people around.
Is intelligence a heritable trait?  Can't very stupid people breed intelligent children?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

m1911owner

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Is intelligence a heritable trait?
Yes, of course it is.  Why would it not be?

Standing Wolf

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 10:01:50 PM »
Atlas, believe it or not, shrugged.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 03:12:30 AM »
the other interesting challenge is, what are all the kids that used to go do blue collar work at the  factory gonna do?

up in Reading PA, the answer seems to be "drugs"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Werewolf

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 09:15:01 AM »
If the smart people stop breeding there's gonna be a lot less smart people around.
Is intelligence a heritable trait?  Can't very stupid people breed intelligent children?
It's about as likely as two blue eyed parents who both have blue eyed parents siring a brown eyed baby - in other words it is possible but not likely.

Intelligence is most definitely determined by genes.

Fight Me Online

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
What She's Missing...
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 09:37:18 AM »
It's about as likely as two blue eyed parents who both have blue eyed parents siring a brown eyed baby - in other words it is possible but not likely.

Inteliigence might be but success is the product of much more than intelligence.  A cousin of mine founded Automotive Radiator Specialty Corp (Solder Seal, Liquid Wrench etc) in the 1920s.  My grandmother, his 1st cousin, told me he was considered downright stupid and had to be tutored most of the way through school.  The company is, I think, the largest privately owned corporation in N.C.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

crt360

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 10:51:27 AM »
Sure.  All they have to do is play classical music and read the Wall Street Journal to the kid every day before he is born.  At least that's what I heard.  Cheesy  Of course, most stupid people don't appreciate classical music or even know what the WSJ is.

I definitely agree that intelligence is not a key to success.  Neither is hard work.  They can play a part in achieving it, but don't count on it.  I think a lot of stupid people are successful because they aren't aware of the risks they are taking, thus their motivation and enjoyment of their activity are not routinely stymied.  Sometimes it all comes crashing down around them due to their ignorance of rules, regulations, business practices, etc., but still many succeed.
For entertainment purposes only.

m1911owner

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 12:09:23 PM »
I am amused by all the attempts here of "proof by anecdote."  Yes, there are people from bad circumstances who have gone on to become very successful.  But those stories are intersting because they are the exception, not the typical case.

There have been very careful studies that have researched these questions.  The results are that IQ is very strongly correlated with financial success, with avoiding trouble with the law, with years of educational attainment, and with success in marriage (i.e., not getting divorced), among other things.

Werewolf

• friend
What She's Missing...
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 12:27:46 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi

Inteliigence might be but success is the product of much more than intelligence.
Of course you are right. But I will add that intelligence is a tool in the box. Try building a house without a hammer. It can probably be done but not easily and It can be built a lot easier with a nail gun.

Success requires desire, intelligence and any number of other tools necessary to complete the task. One can be missing but it makes the task completion that much more difficult.

Fight Me Online

brimic

• friends
What She's Missing...
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »
My wife and I did our patriotic duty and had 2 kids. We'd have more but we cannot afford them, taxes eat up too much of our income. We both need to work in order to afford a house. Daycare costs us around $17,000/year. The upside is that when the kids go to college, it won't much more of a burden than we have now or will have when we send them to private schools.  The downside is that our kids will probably have it much worse and will need to pay a much higher burden in taxes to pay the way for those who haven't been responsible for their own lives. Sad
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama