Author Topic: What Makes You Feel Old?  (Read 6146 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What Makes You Feel Old?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 11:57:51 AM »
Good, positive post Grampster. :)

On the hair growing everywhere except my freakin' head, that actually bothered me as an old guy thing a whole lot more when it first started happening in my mid-30s to early 40s. It doesn't bother me much now, though I do trim my eyebrows so they don't look like Andy Rooney. And what's the deal with random single hairs popping up on the bridge of my nose?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »

I teach my buddy's kids to tell their parents "I was born after 9/11 and we're having this conversation."

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 03:20:08 PM »
I've broken out the "magnifying glass" in my Smart Tools app on my phone quite a few times now when I've forgotten (or out of stubbornness, "forgotten") my reading glasses. A big plus in dark restaurants is that it also utilizes the phone's light, because my night vision is kinda going to crap too.

Up until this very moment, I never knew there was such a thing as a magnifying app for the phone.  I now have two.  I can tell already that they will be useful.  Just another example of the utility of APS.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
Up until this very moment, I never knew there was such a thing as a magnifying app for the phone.  I now have two.  I can tell already that they will be useful.  Just another example of the utility of APS.

Happy to be of assistance to a fellow "55er".  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
As for aches and pains, when you arrive at a certain point you don't remember feeling any different, so it's a normal state that I don't pay much attention to.

Yeah, good, positive post.

That's perzackly why I didn't want to enumerate them.

It's like when I count up broken bones, just for statistical purposes.

Dang, if they don't start hurting again.  Purely psychological, but who needs it?

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »
Attractive women in their 20's make me feel old.

I have recently dated women in their mid/late 30's but the younger girls just make me feel my age (early 50's).

Other than that I'm in many ways in better shape now than I was as a younger man.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
I will now explain the moment when you know you are old.  

You are getting your physical.  Your doc asks you if it's ok to have the new PA observe part of the process.  You say OK.  He goes out for a moment and then comes back in and tells you to drop your trousers and your shorts.  It's time for the two fun parts...the turn yer head and cough part (you all know what that is) and the bend over and spread 'em while you hope it's the Vaseline and not the Vicks thing, and he's put on a new glove.  (You know what that is too)

Well, just at the time the pants were down and the shorts were following, and you were hoping his hands weren't cold,  a stone fox blond about 23 or so walks into the room and stands, arms akimbo, and observes the aforementioned two fun parts.  

Here is when you know you're old...pay attention now.  Write this down.

You look at the stone fox PA, grin, and you casually say hi without the least bit of feeling uncomfortable or embarrassed at her presence.  Now you are old. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
 It's like being a kid only you have money.

Ha that is my dad and step mom right now.  They're both double retired (military plus civil service each) and are traveling about 4 times a year.  China coming up.  Took my kids on a cruise last month.  Already planning a 21 day cruise from Hawaii to Australia.  They're obnoxious about it at this point lol.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
Stuff breaking that didn't used to.  I got back from a 100 mile motorcycle ride in August and found out the next day I had a detached retina.  Three weeks, no riding.  Last week I fell on my back while getting out of a ditch.  A couple of feet, soft dirt, flat on my back, didn't even hurt.  The next day I couldn't get out of bed.  Turns out I had broken a rib, so another week or so with no riding.

OTOH, I am still able to ride my Harley, so I'm thankful for that.  My kids are all grown and have good jobs, and they're all happy to pitch in and help the old man out.  And nine grandkids can be a HUGE help around here.  Last weekend my son and grandson split enough firewood that I won't have to for a few weeks.  Son and youngest daughter mowed seven acres so we could have a dove hunt on 9/1.  Speaking of grandkids, they're all under 16, but three of the boys are taller than I am (granted, that's not saying much).

As far as eyesight, I've been wearing glasses for over 50 years.  Still corrected to 20/20.

One thing I have noticed is that during the holidays, we are often the oldest generation there.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
What makes me feel like a ancient is the complete separation young to old- culturally.  It's not just the music or whatever the fad is-it is that they have NO idea about any basic history, as if  History started yesterday.  Kids are being brought up with such BS that when I look at a children's or young adult book from the 50's or 60's it is like returning to a time when people were sane. Heinlein was right- these are the crazy years.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
Forgetting things, seeing childhood TV stars die from old age, trying to focus on the front sight with progressive lenses, having to pee RIGHT NOW, etc...
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »
Maybe not so much of a "feel old",  but the part where I look up an old movie on IMDB,  and find all the actors either dead or super old.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2015, 12:18:48 AM »
Forgetting things, seeing childhood TV stars die from old age, trying to focus on the front sight with progressive lenses, having to pee RIGHT NOW, etc...

Can I interest you in this FREE bottle of crap that's supposed to shrink your prostate?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »
Can I interest you in this FREE bottle of crap that's supposed to shrink your prostate?

stay safe.

But wait, if you act in the next 30 seconds we will double the offer, just pay separate S&H.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:38 AM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »
And another thing.... loud movies at the theater.  Way too loud these days.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?