Author Topic: What made this baseball bat do this?!  (Read 1453 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
What made this baseball bat do this?!
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
This was a game on the 12th, apparently...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E3zO0ZxDS4c

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: What made this baseball bat do this?!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 02:47:09 AM »
Probably some kind of weight in the bat that slid to the end making it stand up?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:30:10 AM »
Some bats have a sharply shouldered end with a cupped head. It's hard to tell, but I suspect that this is one of them. After that, it's simply luck.

That was an MLB game. No weights inside the bat (if anything, ball players may try to hollow the bat out and "cork" it to make the head lighter) and certainly nothing that's sliding around.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:29:45 AM »
"that will never happen in 100 years"

but it did
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:49:35 AM »
As I recall, there's a story about a college mathematics professor who was flipping a coin in his class to demonstrate the fact that the Gambler's Fallacy didn't hold water.  On one of the flips, the quarter landed on his desk and stood on edge.  The chances of this happening are very real, but are negligible under most circumstances.  But considering the number of coins that have been flipped over the years, it's not unreasonable to expect that this would happen on occasion.

Likewise, if it's possible for a bat to stand on end, then it's really not unreasonable to expect that as some point, given the millions of times a batter has tossed a bat aside, once or twice something like this would happen sooner or later.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:15:14 AM »
A former co-worker who really was a rocket scientist in a former life (actually a high energy physicist) told me you could, mathmatically speaking, show at least a remote probablility that a ball thrown at a solid concrete wall would pass right through it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 07:22:02 AM »
A former co-worker who really was a rocket scientist in a former life (actually a high energy physicist) told me you could, mathmatically speaking, show at least a remote probablility that a ball thrown at a solid concrete wall would pass right through it.

Brad

The RL equivalent of a wallhack or map bug in a FPS game?  grin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:54:17 AM »

Brad

You know, I really wish you wouldn't have said this....  The more I think about it, the more my head hurts........
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:12:35 AM »
That's just the tip of the iceberg.  Scott's favorite thing was to start throwing random concepts from theoretical physics and quantum mechanics into the conversation.  I loved it and learned a lot from him.  But even as insanely curious as I am, MEGO began to set in after a while.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
I have to say, having shot a lot of matches over the years, it's quite common to find at least a few of the spent shells standing on their ends when we sweep up afterwards. Does this apply to baseball bats? Hell, I don't know!  laugh

I'll tell you what I think, I think the end of the bat made a nice divot in the sand that was just enough to capture and hold it upright. Just a guess though...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 08:03:21 PM »
Well, considering that at the atomic level a wall and a baseball are what, about 99.9% open space, yeah, I guess its theoretically possible.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.