Author Topic: Help! My Windows Are Melting My Grass!  (Read 68 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Help! My Windows Are Melting My Grass!
« on: Today at 09:47:05 AM »
Actually they're not melting my grass, but I ran into this on reddit, and did not know it was a thing that energy efficient windows, when reflecting the sun, can melt artificial turf, ruin car paint, and melt vinyl siding. It was of interest to me because this time of year, when I take the dog out for pre-bedtime business, the setting sun is directly in line with my office window, with the back patio in between. When I walk through that line, heat hits my head and it feels like I'm an ant under a magnifying glass.

I did not know this was common and that there are films specifically designed to stop it, which I am now considering putting on that window.

https://windowfilmforturf.com/pages/what-causes-vinyl-siding-to-melt#:~:text=Melted%20Vinyl%20Siding,-Experts%20call%20the&text=Energy%20efficient%20windows%20can%20melt,here%20is%20much%20the%20same.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Help! My Windows Are Melting My Grass!
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:52:50 AM »
Can't speak to the effectiveness of the flims but this may be of some related interest
From 2013

'Walkie-Talkie' skyscraper melts Jaguar car parts
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-23930675

No more Walkie Scorchie! London skyscraper which melted cars by reflecting sunlight is fitted with shading
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786723/London-skyscraper-Walkie-Talkie-melted-cars-reflecting-sunlight-fitted-shading.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:58:00 AM »
Go with a Fresnel lens and make the most of it. Everyone needs their own personal Death Ray.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:45:23 PM »
When an entire building is curved, it acts like a huge concave mirror and can indeed damage whatever lies near the focus.

Individual windows acting as individual mirrors? Well, sure, but a flat mirror won't give you any more light on a surface than the original source. Necessarily LESS, of course.

Color me skeptical when it comes to individual flat windows being sufficiently concave to act as solar concentrators. A quick search shows that vacuum insulated glass has pillars every couple of inches between the 2 layers of glass to support the glazing against atmospheric pressure, limiting the concavity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:57:28 PM »
When an entire building is curved, it acts like a huge concave mirror and can indeed damage whatever lies near the focus.

Individual windows acting as individual mirrors? Well, sure, but a flat mirror won't give you any more light on a surface than the original source. Necessarily LESS, of course.

Color me skeptical when it comes to individual flat windows being sufficiently concave to act as solar concentrators. A quick search shows that vacuum insulated glass has pillars every couple of inches between the 2 layers of glass to support the glazing against atmospheric pressure, limiting the concavity.

Sorry, personal experience says you're wrong. My window is flat, and it is HOT when I get between it and the sun when the angle is right. There are a ton of articles on this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:18:38 PM »
Sorry, personal experience says you're wrong. My window is flat, and it is HOT when I get between it and the sun when the angle is right. There are a ton of articles on this.
For a FLAT window -

If you get between your window and the sun, your window is shaded by your shadow, and won't reflect any direct sunlight.

If you position yourself so that you're in both direct sunlight and whatever fraction of sunlight the window reflects, you'll note a modest increase of insolation. (Note the spelling.)

If you position yourself so that you're shaded from direct sunlight but in whatever fraction of sunlight the window reflects, you'll note some insolation, but necessarily LESS than from direct sunlight.

If a LOT of windows are reflecting sunlight to the SAME area . . . that's a solar concentrator. Don't stand there.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:39:19 PM »
We went with window tint on big windows for our greatroom, west and south with sliding glass doors on the north.
Only problem we have is the damn birds. 3 different breeds have been beating the bell out of them and making a mess for about 8 weeks. We did it 3 or 4 years ago but this year has been terrible.
What we have here is failure to communicate.