Author Topic: Liberals are getting annoyed at Obama, too.  (Read 7539 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Liberals are getting annoyed at Obama, too.
« on: June 29, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/28/obama-undercuts-his-brand_n_109758.html

Look at this! Liberals are noticing what you folks have noticed.

Quote from: The Huffington Post
Sen. Barack Obama is risking his brand as a political reformer, according to reports today in the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post. In recent weeks, he has moderated or changed positions on a number of politically-charged issues, leading to criticism from demoralized Democratic activists and charges of "flip-flopping" from conservatives.

The Times reports:

In recent weeks, he toughened his stance on Iran and backed an expansion of the government's wiretapping powers. On Wednesday, he said states should be allowed to execute child rapists. When the Supreme Court the next day struck down the District of Columbia's ban on handguns, he did not complain...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Liberals are getting annoyed at Obama, too.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »
That's how they roll in Chicago.

Pols support...themselves! Whatever is best for themselves at the moment.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:37:31 AM »
Look at this! Liberals are noticing what you folks have noticed.

It seems to me that everyone, regardless of political leanings, distrusts candidates who change their official position to match the moods of the populace.  It shows a distinct lack of backbone.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:59:40 AM »
If the congress was safely a R majority, I actually think it would be fun to watch an Obama presidency.  The legislature could hold him in check, but it'd be fun to see how he'd operate.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
If the congress was safely a R majority, I actually think it would be fun to watch an Obama presidency.  The legislature could hold him in check, but it'd be fun to see how he'd operate.

It would probably operate the same way Bush's presidency worked, only vice-versa.

The republican congress will give the democratic president what he wants, and in return, the president will ask congress to throw in something he wants, or else he won't sign it. Everyone in Washington will pat each other on the back and claim compromise for the good of America, and the citizens will suffer for it.

old school

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

The two worst I have seen in that regards were Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush.
We now know who the real man is.

old school

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »

It would probably operate the same way Bush's presidency worked, only vice-versa.

The republican congress will give the democratic president what he wants, and in return, the president will ask congress to throw in something he wants, or else he won't sign it. Everyone in Washington will pat each other on the back and claim compromise for the good of America, and the citizens will suffer for it.

That's the game for sure. Everything is a trade off.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

Then you need to talk to people who live in Chicago. There's an added dimension of unrepentant "So what're you gonna do about it?" to the corrupt politics there.

old school

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »

Then you need to talk to people who live in Chicago. There's an added dimension of unrepentant "So what're you gonna do about it?" to the corrupt politics there.

Nothing new there. That is standard behavior for those who abuse power. That's why you can't let them have too much. That is why we are a nation of laws.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
In days of yore, before advent of the internet, politicians could conduct a primary run at the extremes then do an end around and head for the center for the general election.  Made all kinds of sense given the stranglehold Big Media had on voters.

Shift to today where Big Media is increasingly irrelevant.  We no longer are held hostage to news delivered in 20 minutes at certain times of the day.  No longer are we limited to news feeds from just a few gathering agents.  Those of us in flyover country have learned our lesson years ago.  Seems politicians have not yet fully accepted the new reality.  They are no longer free to tailor messages to different groups if the tailoring involves contradictory positions.  Too many bloggers, talk radio, and pundits out there to get away with what we now call flip-flops.

All of which makes me wonder is one of the attractions of candidates campaigning in foreign countries (limited for now to McCain but soon to include O'Bama) is the comparative and temporary lack of domestic scrutiny by the alternative media.  Well, that and raising cash.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
All of which makes me wonder is one of the attractions of candidates campaigning in foreign countries (limited for now to McCain but soon to include O'Bama) is the comparative and temporary lack of domestic scrutiny by the alternative media.  Well, that and raising cash.

Because more and more Americans worry about how other countries will like our leaders.  Quite frankly I could give a rat's a$$ what any other country thought of our leaders.  They are our leaders and we are the greatest and most powerful country on earth.  Get over it and deal with who ever we elect.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 04:12:36 AM »
I think that is done more to bolster foreign policy/relations experience or image.  I am surprised Obama hasn't tried to do it, but he would probably visit the wrong leaders.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 04:17:37 AM »
I think that is done more to bolster foreign policy/relations experience or image.  I am surprised Obama hasn't tried to do it, but he would probably visit the wrong leaders.

He's done worse, remember? He said that we can't just eat as much as we want and expect the rest of the world will be okay with it.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:15:28 AM »
People seem to have amnesia cycles in this country; by the time November comes around, he will have flopped around a complete circle, and most people will have completely forgotten.

I have seen one Hillary bumper sticker, not a single McCain sticker, but still seeing alot of Obama bumper stickers.
--------------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 04:16:40 AM »
People seem to have amnesia cycles in this country; by the time November comes around, he will have flopped around a complete circle, and most people will have completely forgotten.

I have seen one Hillary bumper sticker, not a single McCain sticker, but still seeing alot of Obama bumper stickers.
--------------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

I see lots of McCain stickers, a few Hillary stickers, and about the same for yard signs. Only one Obama sticker, and it was on a Pious with MA plates.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 04:38:53 AM »
Do Republicans put stickers on their cars?

I have a NRA-Life, Illinois and Indiana state associations window decals on my SUV.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 04:48:04 AM »
Lots of Obama stickers around here.  Few, if any Hillary ones though.  I see McCain stickers, but not nearly as many as the Obamas.  Frankly, who wants to support McCain other than because he's not Obama.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 05:37:05 AM »
Lots of Obama stickers on vehicles, and Obama yard signs, around here.
No McCain stuff or Hillary stuff anymore.  At least nothing of note.
Oregon is solidly Obama territory.  All of my siblings, and I suspect my parents, will vote for him.  In discussing the subject with them, it's like they have lost all rationality.  Their support for this guy is all emotion based.
Sigh...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 05:55:29 AM »
Republicans avoid stickers and placards.  They know what happens when zealous leftists get inflamed by the sign of opposition.  Another sorry symptom of our times.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 06:04:47 AM »
Republicans avoid stickers and placards.  They know what happens when zealous leftists get inflamed by the sign of opposition.  Another sorry symptom of our times.

Really?  I've had an anti-Obama sticker on my car for about a month now and nothing worse than compliments have been hurled my way.  It goes well with the NRA sticker that has lived on the back window of my car for as long as I've owned it.  I'm in Northern Virginia, within spitting distance of DC. 

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
No doubt there are more open-minded areas.  I'm glad you live in one.

Where I live--Los Angeles--you run the risk of getting your car keyed if you have an NRA sticker displayed.  I keep my membership to myself, along with my political allegiances.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:17 AM »
I see a lot of Republican/Conservative type stickers down here though many are from previous election cycles.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

doc2rn

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »
I am for the cndidate that repeals NAFTA! There has never been a piece of legislation that hurt the middle class more.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
I avoid bumper stickers for a few reasons.  Primarily they're an eye sore, just like the campaign signs that are stuck in every lawn and street corner during election season. 

Second, I don't feel it's an effective way to influence others' opinions.  The drivers behind me don't care what I believe in, they just want to get from point A to point B.

Some stickers, such as "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry" are downright childish.  Most of those can be found on cars belonging to union workers.  It's funny how some of them revere the union life almost as a religion, but that's a topic for another thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 03:59:39 PM »
If candidates are campaigning more and more in foreign countries it might be because foreigners have increasingly more to say about the direction of this nation.  That will be even more true after the next Election.  Someone wants it that way.

I think it's a bit too early to say that the MSM are irrelevant.  We'll know in November how irrelevant they were.  If Obama wins the MSM will have played a huge part in shaping his victory, not just by what they run but by what they don't.  It's true that people have other information sources but the people who do that level of recon are a minority and unlikely to be swept up in the general medieval hysteria that the Left foments.  I think most Americans are still willfully information-starved. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.