Author Topic: Risk of Power Collapse Poses Political Threat to Chavez  (Read 7500 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Risk of Power Collapse Poses Political Threat to Chavez
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
Does Honda have any assets in Venezuela to steal nationalize for the good of the workers?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25:39 AM »
In eleven years, they could have dug another dam.

It took the British 4 years to dam the Nile (1898-1902).

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »
In eleven years, they could have dug another dam.

It took the British 4 years to dam the Nile (1898-1902).
Corrupt despots ALWAYS have a ready excuse for the miserable failures of their own policies - take a look at Mugabe in Zimbabwe; in power since 1980 and according to him Zimbabwe's downward spiral is the fault of Britain and the USA.

Why should Chavez be any different?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:09 AM »
The criticism I don't mind.  That's another thing I think people are free to do: if Chavez wants to do the dog and pony show every week on television calling Bush/Obama/whoeverelse names, that doesn't bother me.  Maybe if he'd spent all those one hour segments considering options for power grids instead of ragging on GW Chavez wouldn't be in this position.

I'm not really aware of a realistic attempt to "destabilize the United States" by Venezuela, but if there is one, I'd rather have it persist as a source of cheap entertainment than kill it.  I can't think of anything close to a real world scenario where Venezuela (the place that is a few meters of water away from being completely in the dark) can threaten the stability of the U.S.

http://news-info.wustl.edu/tips/page/normal/8723.html

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
Why do I have the feeling that "sacked his minister" actually involved a sack... and possibly some heavy chain and a body of water?

-------------
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582999,00.html?test=latestnews

Chavez Sacks Minister, Stops Rolling Blackouts

Thursday , January 14, 2010

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

CARACAS, Venezuela —
President Hugo Chavez indefinitely suspended rolling blackouts in Venezuela's capital just a day after they began, and sacked his electricity minister saying he was responsible for mistakes in the way the rationing plan was applied.

Chavez's announcement late Wednesday was a significant shift in his attempts to prevent a widespread power collapse in the coming months by implementing rolling blackouts of up to four hours a day throughout the country.

"I've ordered the electrical outages to be suspended, only in Caracas," Chavez said on state television. "Because this government has to be capable of recognizing mistakes made and fixing them in time."

Chavez said since the outages began in Caracas at midnight Tuesday, authorities had cut power to the wrong sectors of the city in some cases. "I think in one area they repeated the outage a few hours later," he said.

He added that some stoplights were left without power.

"Enough. I said if that's what is going on, there was an error there," Chavez said.

Chavez said he asked Electricity Minister Angel Rodriguez to resign and that "he has taken it like a soldier."

Chavez said he ordered the chief of the city's state electric utility not to schedule any more blackouts until the process is reviewed. It was unclear how soon the government could attempt to restart the measures in Caracas.

The government says rationing is necessary to prevent a widespread power collapse if the water levels behind Guri Dam — which supplies most of Venezuela's electricity — fall to critical lows in the coming months due to a severe drought. Officials also acknowledge that some gas- and oil-fueled thermoelectric plants are producing below capacity while undergoing repairs.

The rolling blackouts have drawn angry complaints from some Venezuelans, but Chavez didn't refer to the popularity of the measures in his phone call to a late-night talk show. Earlier in the day, he had urged Venezuelans to accept the cutbacks and likened them to a national energy diet.

Some Caracas residents grumbled that the outages were causing problems.

"This is the worst," said Johana Machado, a 30-year-old cashier at a bakery-delicatessen. With no electricity to power the coffee maker or the scale used to weigh cold cuts, Machado said sales were suffering.

Chavez announced he was calling off the rolling blackouts shortly before some parts of Caracas were set to begin four-hour outages at midnight.

"People shouldn't worry. There is not going to be any power outage," Chavez said. He said that while the government reviews its approach, "we're going to limit the instructions that we've given: turn off the lights, each person saving as much as he or she can."

Other rationing measures are to remain in place, including rolling blackouts in other parts of the country.

The government also has reduced the hours of electricity supply for shopping centers and required businesses and large residential complexes to cut energy use by 20 percent or face fines. Chavez reduced the workday of many public employees, setting new hours from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Critics blame Chavez's government for the shortage, saying it has failed to complete enough power upgrades to keep up with increasing demand.

Chavez denied that, saying the drought is the primary culprit and that his government is acting to extend Guri Dam's capacity to feed the electrical grid. Rains are expected to return at the end of the traditional dry season in May.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »
"This is the worst," said Johana Machado, a 30-year-old cashier at a bakery-delicatessen. With no electricity to power the coffee maker or the scale used to weigh cold cuts, Machado said sales were suffering.

Srsly?

This is the best example the reporter could find?

Sigh.

I can't get outraged over the pinko-commie regime's total failure to foster a stable societal infrastructure with quotes like that.  I need surgery centers without electricity.  Grocers' with whole freezers spoiling and leaving folks hungry.

3rd world countries ALWAYS have electricity drama.  Tempest in a teapot here, judging by that quote.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »
3rd world countries ALWAYS have electricity drama.  Tempest in a teapot here, judging by that quote.

This is true. In the half dozen trips I've taken to Central American / Caribbean countries, there was not one single day on any of the trips where the power didn't go out where I was staying AT LEAST once for some extended period, and that included a couple of trips to fancy shmantzy resorts that were supposed to have backup power. It especially seems to occur any time it rains or the wind blows over 10kts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
Paging VFA-195...  [popcorn]

Thanks for the googleificator activation! Cool stuff.
I loved the 1955 movie of the same name! Gotta put it on my Netflix queue.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
Note he ended teh blackouts in his center of power and amongst his most proximate supporters.  When the masses elsewhere get upset they can be labeled counter-revolutionary and his bought and paid for urban mob will take care of it.

Gotta set the peasants against themselves.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 12:36:13 AM »
Better to have 'em mad at each other than have 'em mad at you.