Author Topic: Sarah Palin wants cops to leave weed smokers alone  (Read 7473 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Sarah Palin wants cops to leave weed smokers alone
« on: June 18, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/18/sarah-palin-wants-cops-to-leave-weed-smokers-alone/#ixzz0rEQsXBCy

Whodathunkit: The Thrilla from Wasilla, Mrs. USA, the grizzliest mama of them all is A-OK with folks getting stoned in the privacy of their own homes. “If somebody’s gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm,” former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin said recently on FOX News, the fuzz should just leave them be.

The folks at the Marijuana Policy Project, America’s largest weed legalization lobby, are happy to hear it. But they’d like to see Palin cash that check with some action.

“If Sarah Palin recognizes that marijuana is a ‘minimal problem’ and that law enforcement has greater priorities,” the MPP’s Mike Meno wrote in a statement to the press, “she should get off the fence and join the growing ranks of libertarian-minded Republicans, including Rep. Ron Paul and former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson, who have called for an end to the outdated and failed policies of marijuana prohibition.”

Meno even takes a swipe at Palin’s caveat — that legalizing weed would harm the kiddies: “Palin says she opposes making marijuana legal because of the message it would send to young people, but our current policies ensure that young people have better access to marijuana than nearly anyone else. Unlike the licensed merchants who sell tobacco and alcohol, drug dealers do not check IDs.”

They sure don’t!

While The Daily Caller has yet to hear back from the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, it did reach out to its smoking readers for reactions to Palin’s statement.

“I’m a stoner who finds sarah palin linguistically and ideologically indecipherable, EVEN WHEN I’M NOT STONED,” wrote an artist in Atlanta. “I think hers is a pretty typical independent-but-not-republican sentiment, which is the type of rep she’s trying to foster, right? So it actually makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, maybe alaska is a total bummer and you need ganja to power through winter.”

A deejay in Washington had slightly less kind things to say. “I do disagree with most of her other positions on issues, and she usually comes across as ridiculous in her public and media appearance. So this one position on weed doesn’t make me any more keen to see her become our next President or hold any position of political authority. It does strike me as simple common sense, though.”

Palin said during her appearance that law enforcement resources are wasted on the war against fun. “Perhaps there are other things that our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems that we have in society that are appropriate for law enforcement to do and not concentrate on such a, relatively speaking, minimal problem that we have in the country.”

Man, some of those stoners are sure whiny.  And stupid, if they can't control their PDS in check for the 30 seconds it takes them to get out 15 or 20 words in comment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Sarah Palin wants cops to leave weed smokers alone
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
Did not Alaska decriminalize some amounts of marijuana?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »
“I’m a stoner who finds sarah palin linguistically and ideologically indecipherable, EVEN WHEN I’M NOT STONED,” wrote an artist in Atlanta. “I think hers is a pretty typical independent-but-not-republican sentiment, which is the type of rep she’s trying to foster, right? So it actually makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, maybe alaska is a total bummer and you need ganja to power through winter.”

A deejay in Washington had slightly less kind things to say. “I do disagree with most of her other positions on issues, and she usually comes across as ridiculous in her public and media appearance. So this one position on weed doesn’t make me any more keen to see her become our next President or hold any position of political authority. It does strike me as simple common sense, though.”

That's right, you numbnuts. You get a fairly mainstream politician supporting your side and you trash her. Waiting for the majority Democrat or Republican politicians to take the same position? You're going to be waiting a long time.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »
its not by accident that "the movement " is a failure.  it it weren't for a couple millionaire stoners largesse norml woulda folded long ago
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »
Did not Alaska decriminalize some amounts of marijuana?

Yup, up to 4 oz for personal use or plants that will add up to 4 oz of processed marijuana, but there are some catches. You can't buy, sell trade, or transport, but if you manage to make it past the gauntlet of exceptions, you're home free.

Alaska also has a medical marijuana law that's been in place for about 10 or more years now.

It also makes the federally subsidized drug warriors do some actual police work now, because judges won't issue search warrants based on just a few factors alone such as smell and power bills. They have to gather evidence to show a commercial operation.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
Yup, up to 4 oz for personal use or plants that will add up to 4 oz of processed marijuana, but there are some catches. You can't buy, sell trade, or transport, but if you manage to make it past the gauntlet of exceptions, you're home free.

Alaska also has a medical marijuana law that's been in place for about 10 or more years now.

It also makes the federally subsidized drug warriors do some actual police work now, because judges won't issue search warrants based on just a few factors alone such as smell and power bills. They have to gather more evidence to show a commercial operation.

Just nitpicking  :angel:

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:51 PM »
Well, now we know why she thinks she can see Russia from her porch!

(Yes, I know she never actually said that.  Just making a joke.)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
Whodathunkit: The Thrilla from Wasilla, Mrs. USA, the grizzliest mama of them all is A-OK with folks getting stoned in the privacy of their own homes. “If somebody’s gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm,” former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin said recently on FOX News, the fuzz should just leave them be.

Well, despite the wiseassed tone of the report, it struck me that this kind of position by Palin follows some of the philosophy behind the Heller Decision... home... castle... get it?

And a momma would be more likely to be protective of her home premises, no?  Grizzly Momma or otherwise.  Mind your own business, urban hiker.  Don't go poking any sticks into my den.

Anyone else see that possible parallel?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
That's right, you numbnuts. You get a fairly mainstream politician supporting your side and you trash her. Waiting for the majority Democrat or Republican politicians to take the same position? You're going to be waiting a long time.

So your argument is that everyone who isn't a single-issue voter is a moron?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
Are we now going to judge the position of all legalization activists based on this?

Can I next judge the intelligence of US conservatives based on the intellect of the average Youtube commenter? ;) ;)
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »

Nope. Just that folks should give a pol some credit when he/she is right on an issue.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
Nope. Just that folks should give a pol some credit when he/she is right on an issue.

Also, one of the best times to drink a nice, warm glass of STFU is when others are going out of their way to agree with you on an issue.  Maybe even act like a decent human, rather than a POS stoner.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:27:32 AM »

atheist scum, good German, Administrator

Redundancy?  =D =D =D
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »
I just realized that I don't know enough about Sarah Palin to be able to tell whether she is simply making a perfectly reasonable observation here, or pandering to what she thinks libertarians want to hear.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
Also, one of the best times to drink a nice, warm glass of STFU is when others are going out of their way to agree with you on an issue.  Maybe even act like a decent human, rather than a POS stoner.

Except it sounds like she really isn't. Sure she says that if you're doing it in your house then the cops shouldn't be able to harass you, but it sounds like what they have a complaint about is that she still thinks it should be illegal. Sort of like how some people say that "hunting rifles" are ok, but not "assault rifles". Wasn't some guy fired from a gun mag because of saying something like that a while ago?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »
Except it sounds like she really isn't. Sure she says that if you're doing it in your house then the cops shouldn't be able to harass you, but it sounds like what they have a complaint about is that she still thinks it should be illegal. Sort of like how some people say that "hunting rifles" are ok, but not "assault rifles". Wasn't some guy fired from a gun mag because of saying something like that a while ago?

True, she isn't in full-on, "Legalize it all and sell it to 12 year olds" anarcho-capitalist boogie mode.  I don't think that is going to happen with anyone of significance for quite a long time, if ever.

Question: When was the last time a (albeit, former) candidate for (V)POTUS or major political party leader came out for anything but straight-up prosecution of the War on Drugs? Clinton went hammer & tongs at it, as did GWB and so is BHO.  Congresscritters on both sides of the aisle vote more & more $$$ or the WoD.

Thing is, the WoD is mostly a War on Marijuana.  All other drugs account for a small percentage of arrests.  If we can get a significant proportion of the War on MJ to stop, it will have an outsized effect on the WoD.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Let's forget here that any person that sells or gives any amount of drugs to another person is defined as a 'dealer' in many jurisdictions.

In what reasonable universe would we agree to 'you're free to own any guns you want, we're just going to keep imprisoning and hassling anybody who sells you any guns'?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
Let's forget here that any person that sells or gives any amount of drugs to another person is defined as a 'dealer' in many jurisdictions.

In what reasonable universe would we agree to 'you're free to own any guns you want, we're just going to keep imprisoning and hassling anybody who sells you any guns'?

If I were in a universe where owning any guns at all would get me thrown in jail, I'd certainly agree to that as a start.

Probably would even learn to build a gun myself.

I'd then work to continue to liberalize the gun laws.

Of course, you have to have patience for that...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
If I were in a universe where owning any guns at all would get me thrown in jail, I'd certainly agree to that as a start.

That is exactly the universe in which I live. Owning any guns at all will get me thrown in jail.

Of course, you have to have patience for that...

The only moral approach towards a great social evil is impatience.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »
When that impatience harms the chances of actually accomplishing your stated goals I'd have to disagree...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
What is it with Politicans refusing to enforce the laws we have on the books?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
What is it with Politicans refusing to enforce the laws we have on the books?

Well for one it would actually require that they bother to read the books and we already know they don't bother reading the things they add to it.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Well for one it would actually require that they bother to read the books and we already know they don't bother reading the things they add to it.

Takes any respect I had left for Palin down a peg. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
Thing is, the WoD is mostly a War on Marijuana.  All other drugs account for a small percentage of arrests.  If we can get a significant proportion of the War on MJ to stop, it will have an outsized effect on the WoD.

Is there a graph or something that shows what the percentages are?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
Thing is, the WoD is mostly a War on Marijuana.  All other drugs account for a small percentage of arrests.  If we can get a significant proportion of the War on MJ to stop, it will have an outsized effect on the WoD.

I don't know if I'd go that far.  Marijuana might account for the most arrests/cases of any single drug, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was still a minority of total drug cases.  Meth + hallucinogens + club drugs + cocaine + opiates?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)