Author Topic: Cabell County (WV) Schools Removing Swing Sets  (Read 7524 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Cabell County (WV) Schools Removing Swing Sets
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x254029845/School-system-removing-swings

Swing sets are being removed because of increase insurance cost and swing related incident lawsuits.  According to Jedd Flowers of the school district "In this day and age, we have to do everything we can to keep kids safe." They don't have the money available to upgrade from mulch to rubber based surface for the fall protection zone around the swing sets, so they removed them.

Okay where has personal responsibility gone?  Are the kids of the future going to be running around in there own personal bubbles? Common sense has been thrown out the window, kind of like with this kid: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=25884.0.

What can be done to prevent the overarching nanny state from continuing to grow?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Cabell County (WV) Schools Removing Swing Sets
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »
This case is not the nanny state.

It's the blood-sucking lawyers. (As always, I here put in the disclaimer that no, not all lawyers are bloodsuckers.)

When you can get sued any time that someone is harmed on your property, even if it's through their own stupidity, we get these results.

The only way we can stop this is to do something about the legal environment. Given that nearly all politicians are lawyers and at least one of the parties is HEAVILY reliant on the bloodsucking trial lawyers for cash, a solution seems unlikely.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
Further, it's sad, too.

Children need opportunities to test the boundaries and, yes, sometimes even get hurt.

It's part of the maturing process to learn to face fear and learn you're not invincible.

I remember riding the swings as high as possible and bailing out on the top. No rubber surface, either- rock hard dirt to land in. It was fun. (I eventually learned to tuck and roll, too.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
Liberty is the ultimate litigation opportunity, didn't you know?   We Are All Plaintiffs Now.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
swingsets have been gone at stafford county va schools for a while  and many of the park playgrounds are phasing them out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
Why is that, some kids are able to swing higher than others? =D
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 03:41:43 PM »
They have taken out the tall curly slides, tall slides, tall swing sets, jungle gyms and rocket ships because they are worried kids will get hurt.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
They have taken out the tall curly slides, tall slides, tall swing sets, jungle gyms and rocket ships because they are worried kids will get hurt and their parents will sue.

Fixed that for you.

Everyone has known since playgrounds existed that injury was a possibility. Only since we've decided against personal responsibility in this country have people put an end to children's fun.

Wes

• Never odd or even
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
In my area, they've also removed the kid powered carousels.  The see-saws are starting to disappear, too.  It's unfortunate, because when I was a kid, the funnest thing at the playground were those kid powered carousels.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x254029845/School-system-removing-swings

Swing sets are being removed because of increase insurance cost and swing related incident lawsuits.  According to Jedd Flowers of the school district "In this day and age, we have to do everything we can to keep kids safe." They don't have the money available to upgrade from mulch to rubber based surface for the fall protection zone around the swing sets, so they removed them.
There's this material out there, I don't know if they've heard about it, but it's really cheap, abundant and above all soft to land on. It's called sand.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:22 PM »
All of this will really aid in the crusade against childhood obesity/inactivity.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
When I was around 12 or so, an elementary school teacher at my school district broke his arm on a see-saw.  So he went on a crusade and got all the see-saw's banned.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:06:16 PM »
When I was around 12 or so, an elementary school teacher at my school district broke his arm on a see-saw.  So he went on a crusade and got all the see-saw's banned.  :facepalm:

He was ahead of his time.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »
Why get out of the incubator?  Hey, it's dangerous out there!
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
My city bent over for the trial lawyers and removed the coolest ever playground toy.

I give you...Rocket Park!!!!!!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TexasRichardson_heightsPark.jpg

It was my boy's favorite thing in the park.  Now it is gone.

They also used to have a wire-frame sub, a spinny UFO, a pipe-dinosaur...

Check them out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/poodlesuperstar/1064833123/

All has been replaced by this mess of pottage:

Let us all say it together:
"Loser Pays"

Or was it that Shakespeare bit?  "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

Not happy withe the current litigious state of affairs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
When I was a wee little Charby I always begged my parents to let me play on the rocket slide. Same park also had a couple gun turrets from a battleship and old single engine jet we climbed all over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crapo_Park

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »
Out of curiosity, I have attended a couple of seminars on school risk management.  Looking at the slides at the seminars, I have been absolutely amazed at the ability of some kids to kill or severely injure themselves in very creative ways on playground equipment.  There are now universally accepted standards for such things as the depth of rubber or wood chip mulch in playground areas, and Lord help you if the mulch is one inch shallow, and someone is able to argue that little Janey ended up a quadraplegic as a result. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

P5 Guy

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 11:53:52 AM »
Very Sad

When parents get the idea they hit the lottery when their kid hurts him/herself [ar15]

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »
from wikiepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_gym

The first jungle gym was invented in 1920 and patented by lawyer Sebastian Hinton in Chicago.

Figures  :facepalm:

Uranus is a gas giant.