Author Topic: Romney & Huckabee are Top GOP Presidential Contenders  (Read 7454 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Romney & Huckabee are Top GOP Presidential Contenders
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Well, look what we got with the last Republican president...

Patriot Act
TSA
DHS
Two foreign wars
Medicare Part something or other
Obama

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
Tallpine...you left out an economic collapse and a bailout of the financial industry.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »
Tallpine...you left out an economic collapse and a bailout of the financial industry.

It's really hard to keep track of it all ....  =(

Though I wouldn't blame Bush for the economic collapse directly.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
It's really hard to keep track of it all ....  =(

Though I wouldn't blame Bush for the economic collapse directly.

I wouldn't blame him for it at all.

He ATTEMPTED to reign in FNMA and FHLBB and was shot down by the Dems protecting their pet projects/cronies.

And yet people still blame him for their mess.  :facepalm:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 12:59:32 AM »
How about an Alan Keyes / John Bolton ticket?  [tinfoil]  (it's so crazy, it just might work)
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 01:07:18 AM »
How about an Alan Keyes / John Bolton ticket?  [tinfoil]  (it's so crazy, it just might work)

You got the wrong Alan. You want Allen West. And Alan Keyes for vice. Two black Republicans, twice the Uncle Tom Race Traitors for the leftists to scream about.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »
Well, look what we got with the last Republican president...

Patriot Act
TSA
DHS
Two foreign wars
Medicare Part something or other
Obama

:mad:
  So, Osama bin Laden & Al Qaeda had nothing to do with those? ;/  Maybe Shrubbie should had sent OBL a nastygram.  Billions in damage and 2,973 human beings dead.  That shouldn't cause a war? :facepalm: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 11:15:18 AM »
  So, Osama bin Laden & Al Qaeda had nothing to do with those? ;/  Maybe Shrubbie should had sent OBL a nastygram.  Billions in damage and 2,973 human beings dead.  That shouldn't cause a war? :facepalm: :mad:

Not these kinds of wars.  We've lost a lot more people so far in war than we did on 9-11.

Go in fast, break things, kill some people, and then leave.

Tell them we'll be back if they don't behave, next time with the Big N.  >:D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »
  So, Osama bin Laden & Al Qaeda had nothing to do with those? ;/  

Carry on. Explain how Iraq attacked America on 9/11.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »
Huckabee and Romney are placemarkers.  As I see it the struggle inside the conservative movement is about coming to grips with the fact that working within the system as we've known it is only going to take us further down the path of statism, usurpation of power by the financial power elite, and irresponsible corporatism.  What's being processed is what working outside the system as we've known it really entails.  Does it mean nominating a "marginal" candidate?  Does it mean focusing on taking the Senate while holding the House?  Does it mean shoring up Republican Governors?  Or does it mean sowing the seeds of The Great Separation?  Right now there's confusion and apathy because half this country senses that we get nowhere by nominating the same old names with the same old programs, but the next step is dramatic, convulsive, dangerous.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
I'd really like to hear more about Mitch Daniels, Herman Cain, and Gary Johnson along with some others. I'm not convinced at any of those three, but I know I'm not a fan of the typical media selections like Romney and Huckabee.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
"Go in fast, break things, kill some people, and then leave.

Tell them we'll be back if they don't behave, next time with the Big N.   
  "

I subscribe to this, except for the Big N.  That's not necessary.  We can do more damage in other ways.
In addition, remind them we are traders and consumers.  Play nice and we'll be a partner not an enemy.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »
Carry on. Explain how Iraq attacked America on 9/11.
Quote from: TommyGunn
So, Osama bin Laden & Al Qaeda had nothing to do with those?
I sorta think OBL & Al Qaeda had something to do with 9/11 ........ [tinfoil]
  ;/
Don't duck when I make a point or you'll miss it.

I didn't say Iraq attacked America.  
I have problems with Iraq.  The central reason was we believed they had WMDs (which include chemical weapons as he used on the Kurds -- relatively easy to make).  We all know the disasterous heritage of our quest to locate them.
The point was that without the 9/11 attacks, I don't believe Bush (or anyone) could have pulled of the Iraq war.  Despite the WMD fiasco we did eliminate Saddam and his two nasty offspring.  
Would I do it again?  Certainly NOT knowing what we know now, but the necessity did seem pretty good at the time.
One can engage in a lot of silly conspiracy theories on how Bush the Younger was trying to complete what Bush the Elder started and all that.  I don't buy it.  And I don't feel like employing a lot of quotes, citations, and a truckload of appendices, 'cause this is just my belief on the thing, and if you disagree, fine.  
It's a tad hard to prove something that is a "sense,"  "alternate history."     "What would have happened if??"  IF there had been no 9/11 attack?  
Would Bush have gone into iraq.    I don't think so.  YMMV.  That's life.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
The point was that without the 9/11 attacks, I don't believe Bush (or anyone) could have pulled of the Iraq war. 

Convenient, wasn't it...?  =|

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

Sure was....and we fell for it.....the excuse for Iraq, that is....9/11 was still al-Q's fault, and bin Laden deserved every double-tap he got....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »

It wasn't  .... "convenient" for the people in the World Trade Towers.  :O

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 07:13:53 PM »
The real WMD is Wahhabism, but the source of that is, well, off-target.  I think we all know why, which renders much of what we are doing largely meaningless.  And the meaninglessness is by design.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
.....deleted due to rereading prior posts.....sorry.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »
Meh. It's name recognition.

It's also just plain laziness.

The first week of early voting is done.  280 people have voted in a town of 17,000, with approximately 15,000 old enough to vote.  That includes any county residents coming in to vote for school board.  Traditionally, about two thirds vote early.  Last year's city council election turnout was 692.

As a candidate with a website, I have ads triggering on every candidate's name and every search even remotely related to council elections, so I see stats on how many times people Google anything about the election.  27,000 of the 30,000 searches were from people looking for directions to something local.  1,200 were from people looking for appraisal district information.  (A lot of people have had their property appraisals go up significantly in the last couple of months and are looking for the process to contest it.)  25 were searches for the names of councilmembers or candidates other than me - six of those for members either not up for election or unopposed.  131 for other election/council/ISD related terms.  40 people searching for my name or some variant.  (Though I intentionally made the URL a lot easier for most people to remember than my name since there are at least two businesses and 30-40 people in town with very similar last names.  Most of the hits on my website are direct links from local blogs, Facebook links, or people typing in the URL.)

There might have been a hundred people at the candidate forum, and again, that includes SISD candidates and, thus, county voters.  Questions were pretty soft for non-incumbents.  As I understand it, the Dublin/DISD forum had a similar turnout with a city population of about 7,000.

Overall, barely 200 people care enough to Google for any information on candidates.  Five people have called, emailed or approached me at public events to ask my position on any issues.

Finding 500 people who will complain about something the council has done is easy.  Getting that many to vote is like pulling teeth.  Getting them to actually research candidates for even five minutes so there might be a chance they know who and what they're voting for appears to be impossible.