Author Topic: Obama working on gun control "under the radar"...  (Read 7518 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Obama working on gun control "under the radar"...
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/05/25/obama-were-working-on-gun-control-under-the-radar/
Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't be surprised about an...incident... happening reasonably soon...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

longeyes

• friend
Re: Obama working on gun control "under the radar"...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »
It's no surprise, of course, any more than trying to silence conservative talk radio--also by an end-run--will be a surprise.  But I'll be very surprised if Obama is able to get away with it.  I think he believes he has a stronger hold on power than he really does.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
"Under the Radar" is just code for "Please keep on donating to Brady, despite the fact that for all intents and purposes we look like we're almost dead, we're really not. So even if you don't see any Federal anti-gun legislation of note, and the majority of states are increasing gun rights, there's uh... 'secret stuff' going on that you can't see, so keep on donating."

The secondary meaning of "Under the Radar" is just Obama doing what he can through Executive Order, which aside from imports, is not a whole heck of a lot.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
What a shock - some of us forecast this sort of thing back in 2008  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
 :laugh:

Well clearly we can trust the Brady Campaign for truthful reporting on the gun issue.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:56:38 PM »
Well, the story has hit the MSM. Does anyone know what they mean by "light enhancing device"? Any nice scope is technically light enhancing.

In addition, ATF released a study in January that looked at criteria for restricting the importation of certain shotguns. The authors were working off a 1968 law that restricts gun imports but exempts firearms used for "sporting purposes." The report, then, tried to define which features on shotguns are not suitable for "sporting purposes" and therefore not importable -- among the features they flagged are folding stocks, magazines over five rounds and "light enhancing devices."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/28/obama-administration-eyeing-gun-control-radar-groups-warn/#ixzz1NftbaokU
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
Sights that glow, like Tru Glow?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »
A starlight scope or fiber-optic sights?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
Well, hell - let's make eyeglasses and lasik surgery illegal too  :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »
By light enhancing device, I think they mean a flashlight attached to the shotgun.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
No honest man needs more than ten lumens.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »
By light enhancing device, I think they mean a flashlight attached to the shotgun.

So they DON'T want you to be able to identify your target in the dark?   ???
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »
So they DON'T want you to be able to identify your target in the dark?   ???

No, no, no, you've got to understand...they don't want you IDing your target because you shouldn't HAVE a target to shoot at (or a gun to shoot with)...you should be a good little subject citizen and call the cops while the gangbangers are raping your wife and wait for the professionals to arrive.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »
Once heard a story of a defensive shotgun class where a guy showed up with a wood-stocked 1300 and a maglite (not attached).  When the low-light/dark portion came up, he clicked on the maglite, dropped it on the floor, and blasted away.  The instructors said that they couldn't really find fault with his solution other than that it made it more difficult to move from room to room, having to pick up the light each time.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 07:25:54 AM »
Once heard a story of a defensive shotgun class where a guy showed up with a wood-stocked 1300 and a maglite (not attached).  When the low-light/dark portion came up, he clicked on the maglite, dropped it on the floor, and blasted away.  The instructors said that they couldn't really find fault with his solution other than that it made it more difficult to move from room to room, having to pick up the light each time.  =)

I wonder what they'd say about one of those little tossable xenon strobes that some company tried to market as a sort of bang-less flashbang.

I have seen - and occasionally practiced - the trick of tossing one of those 5-minute ultra-high-intensity glowsticks into a room, then following it in doing a quick sweep.  Anybody in the room will watch the light, and they're bright enough to easily ID a target across a normal room, so I'd have to say it's a valid method for entering a room that doesn't lend itself to other methods.  (Can't slice the pie effectively if the door is at the end of a hallway only as wide as the door's frame.)  The main drawback is that it's pretty much single-use; you can't turn it off to keep from illuminating yourself while moving to the next room.  OTOH, the GL Ultras at $8/10, aren't too expensive to carry enough to clear an entire building, leaving them behind in cleared rooms to double as cleared indicators and low-level illumination that might keep a BG from trying to slip past searchers into an already-cleared area.  (5 minutes is the maximum intensity time.  The ones I've used are still around normal glowstick brightness after 15-30 minutes.)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
When the low-light/dark portion came up, he clicked on the maglite, dropped it on the floor, and blasted away.

Hopefully, it doesn't land pointing back at you  ;/

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
Hopefully, it doesn't land pointing back at you  ;/

This, it's not a reliable method at all...and ideally, you don't want your source of illumination illuminating you...

Short section of picatteny rail screwed to the forearm plus a surefire G2 Led or a Streamlight in a cheap 1" scope ring gives you a reliable light on the gun without too much hassle or expense.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 01:19:05 AM »
I didn't say it was me that did this.  My HD gun is a Sig P220 with a Streamlight TLR-1.  I don't even own a shotgun.  :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
He hasn't been under the radar. People just haven't paid attention to the blips on the screen.

Trying to discourage people from buying firearms after the election.
2 anti-gun SCOTUS appointments.
Nomination of blatently anti-gun Andrew Traver as Waffen BATFEces gruppenfuhrer.
Giving a pass to the BATFEces on gunwalker.
Executive orders to twist, turn, fold, spindle and mutilate "sporting purposes" as a pretext to ban imports of shotguns.
Vetoing the reimportation of over 800,000 US govt owned Garands and M1 carbines.
Approval of onerous BATFEces regs that require border-state gun shops to report all rifle sales above and beyond federal law.
Participated in a propaganda campaign that falsely states Mexican drug cartels are getting their military-grade weapons from US gun shops.
Sides with Mexico when Mexico blames US gun laws for their problems.
Supports the US signing onto the UN gun ban treaty, also parrotted by the SoS.

No he hasn't been under the radar at all.  :mad:
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 10:49:20 AM »
Right.  The evidence is there for those who want to see it, in this, in so many things.  President Auto-Pen is determined to push until there's push-back.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
He hasn't been under the radar. People just haven't paid attention to the blips on the screen.

Trying to discourage people from buying firearms after the election.
2 anti-gun SCOTUS appointments.
Nomination of blatently anti-gun Andrew Traver as Waffen BATFEces gruppenfuhrer.
Giving a pass to the BATFEces on gunwalker.
Executive orders to twist, turn, fold, spindle and mutilate "sporting purposes" as a pretext to ban imports of shotguns.
Vetoing the reimportation of over 800,000 US govt owned Garands and M1 carbines.
Approval of onerous BATFEces regs that require border-state gun shops to report all rifle sales above and beyond federal law.
Participated in a propaganda campaign that falsely states Mexican drug cartels are getting their military-grade weapons from US gun shops.
Sides with Mexico when Mexico blames US gun laws for their problems.
Supports the US signing onto the UN gun ban treaty, also parrotted by the SoS.

No he hasn't been under the radar at all.  :mad:

Maybe I'm too much a glass-half-full kind of guy.

I see all this Mickey-Mouse end-run/executive power B.S. as a sign of victory. (For now... not that we'll ever be done fighting them.) That the anti's have been backed so far into a corner that they don't dare do anything too egregious or directly with legislation.

Do I like it? No.

Do I do what I can to oppose it? Yes.

However, having become of age just when gun control seemed to be reaching a zenith in the 90's, I also see it as a sign of how far we've come. By way of analogy, to me it's like an enemy is pushed into asymmetrical warfare once they've been defeated conventionally. Still a PITA, but not even within an order of magnitude of the destruction/losses of "all out war".

I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »
(For now... not that we'll ever be done fighting them.) That the anti's have been backed so far into a corner that they don't dare do anything too egregious or directly with legislation.

Do I like it? No.

Do I do what I can to oppose it? Yes.

However, having become of age just when gun control seemed to be reaching a zenith in the 90's, I also see it as a sign of how far we've come. By way of analogy, to me it's like an enemy is pushed into asymmetrical warfare once they've been defeated conventionally. Still a PITA, but not even within an order of magnitude of the destruction/losses of "all out war".

I've said before, and I continue to believe, that we will not have won until gun control advocates are viewed the same way folks in general now view the bad old time segregationist South (a US-ian reference, for those of you not from around here.)  We will have won when people don't want to go to to places where they hold sway, because, you know, "bad stuff can happen to you there". 

We got some distance to go, yet.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
Until the American people really take back their own government on both the Federal and State levels, they cannot consider themselves to have "won."  We are one Justice away from losing our 2A RKBA.  We are one "massacre" away from a media-driven hysteria to enforce plenary gun control.  I wouldn't get too comfortable.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
Until the American people really take back their own government on both the Federal and State levels, they cannot consider themselves to have "won."  We are one Justice away from losing our 2A RKBA.  We are one "massacre" away from a media-driven hysteria to enforce plenary gun control.  I wouldn't get too comfortable.

This. Also consider some of the ridiculous stunts the Supreme Court has pulled, such as *expletive deleted*ing over the 4th Amendment completely by saying cops don't need warrants if they hear "evidence being destroyed" and Kelo v. New London. Don't trust the men and women in black robes any more than your normal politician...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
an enemy is pushed into asymmetrical warfare once they've been defeated conventionally

My recollection is that factions waging asymmetrical warfare usually win eventually  =|