Author Topic: Is Mandatory Public Education Persecution?  (Read 7479 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Is Mandatory Public Education Persecution?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
On the other hand, I've seen those who use homeschooling as an excuse to keep out of the system, and the only education done is how to keep out of the system.  The products of this type of home-schooling come through my courtroom all the time.

How many people who come through your courtroom are products of the state education system? I'd guess probably the majority, so it's not exactly a panacea for unsocial behavior. The people who abuse homeschooling and end up coming through your courtroom would likely be coming through your courtroom anyway if they were in public schools.

No system is perfect, and demanding perfection from an alternate system while ignoring glaring, systematic structural flaws in the current one is illogical.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 01:59:13 AM »
Detroit would be a wonderful metropolis if it wasn't for all those damn homeschooling single moms there...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:30 AM »
The company, for whom I do contract work, markets textbooks to the homeschool community. One thing I noticed is that a lot of those peer activities and social stuff tend to be "with their own kind". While it has plenty of benefits, it can create very insulated folks with a very stovepiped knowledge and experience base. A lot of them can have issues with interfacing with folks outside their narrow community.

I don't doubt that's true. But I would also take a wild guess, and say that some kids probably do better with that kind of upbringing, than being "mainstreamed." Other kids would be better off experiencing different kinds of people.

It reminds me of the viewpoint I hear from a lot of Christians, that Christian kids need to be out fighting the good fight in the public schools, witnessing, evangelizing, apologizing,* etc. "We can't retreat from the battlefield!!" When I hear that, I want to remind such people that kids are kids, not warriors. Some kids thrive on mixing it up with different kinds of people, but I think some kids would be better served by getting a solid foundation from "their own kind." (None of which is to say that kids should be totally isolated in some kind of homogenous community, with no exposure to other types of people.)

Just my 2 pence.

*As in "apologetics," not saying they're sorry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »
I guess I should specify that the examples I'm thinking of are kids I have contact with outside of work.  Inside the courthouse is a whole other world, and I would no sooner attribute anti-social/criminal behavior to the education method chosen than I would blame violent crime on firearm ownership.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »
Don't confuse home-schooling with no-schooling.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:44:23 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
I have very serious doubts about the long term effects of the whole "un-schooling" method. It's hippie bs and it's going to royally screw over the kids it's inflicted on. That said, it's not abusive just stupid so parents should be free to do it as they want.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »
I wasn't familiar with un-schooling.  I am at a loss for words after reading that.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »
>It reminds me of the viewpoint I hear from a lot of Christians, that Christian kids need to be out fighting the good fight in the public schools, witnessing, evangelizing, apologizing,* etc.<

It is, by NO means, just Christian parents that come up with that idiocy.

I've hammered on more than one pagan family for trying to "fight for social justice" via their children. Very similar to the story of the 6 year old "transgendered" kid...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 12:30:54 AM »
>It reminds me of the viewpoint I hear from a lot of Christians, that Christian kids need to be out fighting the good fight in the public schools, witnessing, evangelizing, apologizing,* etc.<

It is, by NO means, just Christian parents that come up with that idiocy.

I've hammered on more than one pagan family for trying to "fight for social justice" via their children. Very similar to the story of the 6 year old "transgendered" kid...

You do the very damn best you can by your kids.  You don't use them as a tool to fight your own political battles or as a means to fulfill dreams you could not make reality for your own self.

For my part, I am not sending the kids to private school to stick it to "the other side," but because I think that is where they will get the best education (broadly defined) with the least amount of trauma.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
You do the very damn best you can by your kids.  You don't use them as a tool to fight your own political battles or as a means to fulfill dreams you could not make reality for your own self.

Yeah, nothing gets me pissed off faster than seeing idiots take their kids to a political demonstration, give them a picket sign with some cute little saying, and have them march along with them.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)