Author Topic: Robocoin: BitCoin ATM  (Read 7461 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Robocoin: BitCoin ATM
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/10/bitcoin_atm_gallery/

I dislike this part:

You don’t need a bank account to use Robocoin and, at least in Canada, you don’t need any identification. The U.S. version of the machine will have more stringent identification requirements. But even the Canada model is rather complicated. It takes a scan of your palm and matches that to a database to ensure that you’re not buying more than CDN$3,000 per day — means of deterring money launderers — and then the machine connects to a back-en Bitcoin exchange to buy and sell your coins in realtime.

No thanks.  I'll keep buying my BTC face-to-face an anonymously.  Go *expletive deleted*ck yourself, banksters and statists.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Robocoin: BitCoin ATM
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
I'd use it if it doesn't compel a match on the handprint database... put a nitrile glove on when scanning your hand. >:D  I doubt it has enforcement algorithms in the hand scan routine.  Though it probably takes video or still photos of each user. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
What is a good way to buy some bitcoins?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
What is a good way to buy some bitcoins?

Cash, face-to-face.

localbitcoins.com.
--Lysander Spooner

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
Where do the sellers get it?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
Where do the sellers get it?

"Mining."  Leaving specialized computers on that process the block-chain that makes bitcoin work. 
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
"Mining."  Leaving specialized computers on that process the block-chain that makes bitcoin work. 

The little box of my son's has generated (ok "mined") about $30 since I turned it on. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
Hasn't the profitable mining pretty much dried up?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »
Hasn't the profitable mining pretty much dried up?

No, and it probably never will.

Bitcoin cost will rise with the cost of mining rigs.

$5000 or so to get into 600GH/s mining rigs, and they'll probably break even at bitcoin's current exchange rate.  But that rate won't stay the same.
--Lysander Spooner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »
Cash, face-to-face.

localbitcoins.com.

Cool, thanks.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 09:35:14 PM »
No, and it probably never will.

Bitcoin cost will rise with the cost of mining rigs.

$5000 or so to get into 600GH/s mining rigs, and they'll probably break even at bitcoin's current exchange rate.  But that rate won't stay the same.

Paid attention to that exchange rate?

When I started looking earlier this year, it was US$98/1BC.  For a while it was in the $140 to $150 range.  Then over $200.  

Today's low $305, high $395.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:40:23 PM by lee n. field »

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »
I wonder if I can get a 2 for 1. Use a computer running the "mining" calcs to gain bit coin, and use the excess heat to help warm the kitchen or bedrooms during the winter like a productive space heater.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
I wonder if I can get a 2 for 1. Use a computer running the "mining" calcs to gain bit coin, and use the excess heat to help warm the kitchen or bedrooms during the winter like a productive space heater.

You'll get BTC... but it'll be teeny-tiny portions.  Probably less than $10 worth a month.
--Lysander Spooner

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »
*reads title*

Damn you Kenny Powers...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303789604579196171277465460?mod=WSJ__MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth

Bitcoin Couple Travels the World Using Virtual Cash
World-Wide Odyssey Spanned Three Continents and Proved One Can Live on Bitcoin Alone

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
BTC is stoopid-high right now.  $410 to $440 per 1 BTC.

And I don't think it's done yet.  $1000 by next year.
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
BTC is stoopid-high right now.  $410 to $440 per 1 BTC.

And I don't think it's done yet.  $1000 by next year.

I've been watching it.  I can see where my son bought some at ~$20 each.  When I started looking there were $98 each.  Then $140.  Then $200+.

Any idea what's behind it?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
I've been watching it.  I can see where my son bought some at ~$20 each.  When I started looking there were $98 each.  Then $140.  Then $200+.

China has started getting into mining rigs recently.  They're the #2 mining society behind the US.

I don't know if the Chicoms are seeing it as a mechanism to use for international trade... I kinda doubt that actually.  It's still too new.  But, they're hedging their bets and getting into it in a big way.
--Lysander Spooner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »
China has started getting into mining rigs recently.  They're the #2 mining society behind the US.

I don't know if the Chicoms are seeing it as a mechanism to use for international trade... I kinda doubt that actually.  It's still too new.  But, they're hedging their bets and getting into it in a big way.

I suspect it's all private Chinese activity.

And if Bitcoin makes it long term and is stable, it's value will need to be something north of $2000 USD/FRN's per BTC for sufficient liquidity and total BTC value for an international currency.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
I suspect it's all private Chinese activity.

And if Bitcoin makes it long term and is stable, it's value will need to be something north of $2000 USD/FRN's per BTC for sufficient liquidity and total BTC value for an international currency.

I've been expecting parity with an ounce of gold, give or take 25%.
--Lysander Spooner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »

Bitcoin bubble?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »
Bitcoin bubble?

Possibility.

But the blockchain algorithm has recently become both harder, and less rewarding (25BTC rather than 50BTC per completed block), and 12.5BTC is around the corner rather than 25.

--Lysander Spooner

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
What's the commodity behind bitcoin or is it a fiat? metals? hard drive space?  What is the inherent value that bitcoin represents?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
What's the commodity behind bitcoin or is it a fiat? metals? hard drive space?  What is the inherent value that bitcoin represents?

It's fiat, but it's not government fiat.

In theory, it's un-forgeable.  Time will obviously test that, but the money supply is out of the hands of government with BitCoin.

The "value" is that, among those who accept it as currency, the electronic representation of 1 BTC is something that cannot be taken from another person by any mechanism other than the consent of the owner.

Frankly I think the best use of BTC is to move wealth across political and geographic boundaries without accountability to governments in between those locations.
--Lysander Spooner

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
Its my understanding that the total number of BTC will asymptocially approach 21 Million Bitcoin. So even though fiat, it is claimed that the total monetary base will never exceed that volume. I don't know if the algorythm can be changed ex-post-facto to increase this ceiling.

I've proposed that the monetary base can probably increased by fractional reserve banking. But I haven't explored it enough to "prove it".

If it turns out that it is not possible to expand the base, then BC will be highly deflationary as its popularity increases. This will strongly reward those who get in early, and makes any loans denominated in BC risky.