Author Topic: Tavor TS12 Shotgun  (Read 1730 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tavor TS12 Shotgun
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
I just watched this SHOT Show video. I don't know much about these shotgun designs, but what I found surprising was the ejection of the spent shell. The thing looks like it pretty much just falls out of the ejection port, versus being "ejected". Is that normal for this bullpup type design?

When I exit CA, one of the things I want to do is change up my gun collection a bit. Besides getting an AR, I was looking at getting rid of a couple of shotguns and for fun, getting something like this, or else at least a Benneli M4. I'm guessing the M4 would be more dependable, but being a lefty, I really like the ability to change out everything on this TS12 to left-handed. I don't know if any of the others of that type allow you to do that.

But anyway, the shells ejecting was interesting to me. :)

https://youtu.be/-bOC4EwUVyA
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Tavor TS12 Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »
The shells are being ejected, not just falling out, but the design doesn't give the empty shells much momentum.  It looks like the extractor hook hands on too long causing the shell to lose some velocity.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
The shells are being ejected, not just falling out, but the design doesn't give the empty shells much momentum.  It looks like the extractor hook hands on too long causing the shell to lose some velocity.

Sorry, I knew they were being ejected, just not how I normally view "ejected", so was wondering if it was by design, but you look to be indicating that's probably not the case?

Since they seem to be a military-oriented company (or wannabe military  =D ), I was wondering if it was a tacticool thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »
I have a Tavor in 223 and it ejects normally as far as I can tell.

I was looking at the Tavor in 308 that they announced.  I was planning to keep an eye out for reviews of accuracy, but it looks cool and the features look good.  Not sure if it is that much better than the M1A Scout or SOCOM.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
I was looking at the Tavor in 308 that they announced.  I was planning to keep an eye out for reviews of accuracy, but it looks cool and the features look good.  Not sure if it is that much better than the M1A Scout or SOCOM.

Maybe they are with price factored in.  :laugh:

I have an M1A Scout, and I can't believe what they sell for these days. I've given thought to trading that one in too, and just keeping my Garand as my "old-timey" evil rifle.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
The normal speed video shows a decent ejection velocity.  The high-speed/slo-mo makes it seem like a weak ejection.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
The normal speed video shows a decent ejection velocity.  The high-speed/slo-mo makes it seem like a weak ejection.

I didn't catch the speed change. They still don't fall far from the gun. The hunting autos I've shot have sent the shells flying.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
Makes me wonder if it works best with certain loads.  Probably not made for low recoil bird shot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »
Even at normal speed ejection looks weak.  I doubt it was meant to cycle birdshot anyway.

I've always liked the look of bullpups, but they never felt right when I shot them.  Unnatural is the best way I can describe it. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBgMf-4OKmw

Here is the Shockwave version of the AR Pistol.  Not sure if I like this or not.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
Beginning at 0:24 shows the TS12.  The ejection seems a bit more forceful, along with the recoil as compared to the first clip.  So I'd bet it has a lot to do with the power of loads being used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dpyPCt-oOk
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 01:06:22 PM »
nm

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 06:06:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBgMf-4OKmw

Here is the Shockwave version of the AR Pistol.  Not sure if I like this or not.
They would look really cool with a wood grip and fore grip.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 06:38:12 PM »
That's not a unique magazine by any means. There is a bullpup shotgun that was introduced several years ago that uses an identical magazine...the SRM1216

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »
Ok, so when you empty one mag tube, you have to manually rotate to the next one, right?

Supposed you don't count your shots, and you keep pulling the trigger until you get a click instead of a boom...

Does that decock the gun, so you have to recock after rotating the tube?

Or does rotating the tube cock the gun? 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
That's not a unique magazine by any means. There is a bullpup shotgun that was introduced several years ago that uses an identical magazine...the SRM1216

Yeah, I was going to say. The SRM has been on my wishlist for a while now.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
Ok, so when you empty one mag tube, you have to manually rotate to the next one, right?

Supposed you don't count your shots, and you keep pulling the trigger until you get a click instead of a boom...

Does that decock the gun, so you have to recock after rotating the tube?

Or does rotating the tube cock the gun? 

Watching the video, it looks like it has a last round bolt hold open. So: bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, nothing, rotate mag tube and bolt automatically closes, more bangs.

This video, at about 3:20 talks about it

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 06:16:37 PM »

I've always liked the look of bullpups, but they never felt right when I shot them.  Unnatural is the best way I can describe it. 

That's only because they're unnatural ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »
BSL, I saw one in person back in 2012 but have not seen another yet. Very interesting.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
BSL, I saw one in person back in 2012 but have not seen another yet. Very interesting.

I saw one in a video on a FB group and my first instinct was "gimmicky", but for some reason it intrigued me. So I watched another video... and another...

And now I want one. I honestly don't know if I'd really like it or not, but I want to play with it and find out.

When Dad rolled his eyes, I pointed out that at one point in time he had 8 different combat shotguns and that everyone is entitled to their occasional flights of wacky.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds