Author Topic: Dutch Inventor Says His Ocean Cleaning Boom Is Working  (Read 832 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Dutch Inventor Says His Ocean Cleaning Boom Is Working
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2019-10-02/dutch-inventor-says-his-ocean-cleaning-boom-is-working

https://theoceancleanup.com/updates/the-ocean-cleanup-successfully-catches-plastic-in-the-great-pacific-garbage-patch/

I thought this was worth noting.  An environmentalist actually working to clean stuff up rather than just complaining about it.  Looks like it is crowd funded according to their website.

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — After a series of setbacks, a system for catching plastic floating in the Pacific between California and Hawaii is now working, its Dutch inventor said Wednesday.

Boyan Slat, a university dropout who founded The Ocean Cleanup nonprofit, announced that the floating boom is skimming up waste ranging in size from a discarded net and a car wheel complete with tire to chips of plastic measuring just 1 millimeter.

The results are promising enough to begin designing a second system to send to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, an area of floating plastic trash twice the size of Texas, Slat said.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Dutch Inventor Says His Ocean Cleaning Boom Is Working
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 03:53:22 PM »
They'll get it banned because someone just found an endangered plankton that didn't exist until two weeks ago that lives in the patch.
Then it's back to complaining and blaming the USA
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 04:21:50 PM »
They'll get it banned because someone just found an endangered plankton that didn't exist until two weeks ago that lives in the patch.
Then it's back to complaining and blaming the USA

Or ban it because he didn't do an environmental impact study.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
Dispatch a bunch of them to China and India, stat.

Those two countries alone contribute the majority of plastic debri to the oceans.

At least that is what I've been led to believe.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:44:16 PM »
Dispatch a bunch of them to China and India, stat.

Those two countries alone contribute the majority of plastic debri to the oceans.

At least that is what I've been led to believe.

That's what I've read too.  China fills the oceans with plastic, and the whole world glares at the USA for is.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 06:22:30 PM »
^^^I learn something every day: I heretofore had no idea as to where the plastic in the oceans was coming from.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »
There was an article a few days ago that said something like 73% of the plastic in the Atlantic, yes the Atlantic, was traced back to Chinese merchant ships. Don't have time at the moment to find it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »
That's it. Thanks
Sorry was having to rush out the door at that moment.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2019/10/03/study-chinese-cargo-ships-dump-73-trash-atlantic-ocean/

Young environmental activist Greta Thunberg and several of her peers notably filed a complaint with the U.N., citing the Convention on the Rights of the Child, against Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, and Turkey for their lack of effort against pollution. As China is not a signatory to that convention, it did not appear on the list of defendants.

Way to go for the low-hanging fruit, Greta. Pick on (relatively) minor polluters who are signatories to the treaty, while ignoring the elephant in the room.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 08:35:06 AM »
For your reading, Millcreek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970214/95-plastic-oceans-comes-just-TEN-rivers.html

Americans using straws isn't the cause, I'm sure you're shocked to learn.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »
^^^That was a very interesting article.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
For your reading, Millcreek:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970214/95-plastic-oceans-comes-just-TEN-rivers.html

Americans using straws isn't the cause, I'm sure you're shocked to learn.

Proof it's anyone else's fault but America's is racist.
Just impeach Trump, problem solved.
- Calvin and Hobbes