Author Topic: Tomato products shortage could be coming  (Read 711 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Tomato products shortage could be coming
« on: August 31, 2022, 11:22:23 AM »
I keep a lot of canned tomato products in the pantry at all times. Incredibly versatile and I use a short ton of canned tomatoes during the winter.

I think I'm going to up that supply...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/farmers-warn-ketchup-salsa-pasta-sauce-other-tomato-products-could-soon-be-short-supply
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Tomato products shortage could be coming
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 11:43:54 AM »
I'd give up most of my tomato products in exchange for more potato products. My store has been out of frozen hash browns (shredded) for months. :mad:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 12:14:36 PM »
I'd give up most of my tomato products in exchange for more potato products. My store has been out of frozen hash browns (shredded) for months. :mad:
My store (H.E.B.) has been out of store brand frozen hash brown patties for months - they occasionally get some other brand which is always noticeably more expensive. Bagged hash browns have usually been available.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 12:26:08 PM »
I've not noticed whether hash browns are in short supply, but I've not noticed shortages of french fries or tater tots.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
You can have my tomatoes.  I hate them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 12:33:38 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa!

Actually MAKING hash browns?

Yourself?

That's crazy talk!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
Can someone point me to the proper way to make hash browns without using a metric ton of grease?

Maybe I was trying to make too much at one time.  I will have to look at the youtubers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 12:39:16 PM »
I can't have enough Diced Tomatoes and Vidalia/Sweet Onions on hand!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 12:40:54 PM »
A little bit of grease and a non-stick pan work well for me when I make hash browns.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220520/classic-hash-browns/

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
Can someone point me to the proper way to make hash browns without using a metric ton of grease?

A hot cast iron pan and a metric ton of bacon grease is a recipe for success (and heart failure). I also like the "everything bagel" seasoning on mine. I suppose you could try other methods if deliciousness is not the priority.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
"I suppose you could try other methods if deliciousness is not the priority."

Yeah, because the only way to make food taste like a pile of festering *expletive deleted*it is to squeeze a smoke cured pig over it.

And then another one.

Sight.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »

Maybe I was trying to make too much at one time.  I will have to look at the youtubers.

One thing I have found that works is after grating throw them in a bowl of water. When ready to cook squeeze out as much moisture as you can and then put on a dish towel and pat dry. You want as much moisture out of then as you can get. You want them to cook and crisp, not steam. I cook in butter. At least that is how I do it. YMMV

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 01:26:51 PM »
"One thing I have found that works is after grating throw them in a bowl of water. "

Bingo.

You need to get the free starch off the surface of the potatoes. I always go through at least 2 changes of water.

If you don't get the starch out of there it just turns to glue during cooking and the results are pretty nasty.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »

Yeah, because the only way to make food taste like a pile of festering *expletive deleted*it is to squeeze a smoke cured pig over it.

And then another one.

You say that like smoke cure pig is a bad thing  :rofl:
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 02:09:54 PM »
I didn't mean say it's a bad thing.

I do mean to say it's not the only thing.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 05:12:02 PM »
A hot cast iron pan and a metric ton of bacon grease is a recipe for success (and heart failure)....

Impossible - that's the healthy vegetarian way of cooking!

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 05:30:53 PM »
 :cool:
It worked for the "tomato conglomerate" the last time they declared a shortage due to some noxious fly or another and they raised their prices 30 percent.  Then when the "shortage" was over, they cut back prices to 115% of where they were before the "fly shortage."

Works every time. And not just for tomatos.

:rofl:

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »
Had a strong harvest of tomatoes early in the season. We canned gallons and gallons of tomato stuff. Pasta sauce, chili base, tomato paste... Managed about 70# of onions, still need to freeze a bunch.
Still getting peppers and a few tomatoes  but recovery from the blister beetle destruction has been slow.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams