Author Topic: Ink jet printers  (Read 488 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Ink jet printers
« on: September 03, 2022, 11:23:20 AM »
A couple of years ago, in anticipation of a project that would involve printing on large format paper (12" x 18"), I bought an Epson WorkForce multi-function machine -- WF-7620. The project didn't happen, and the printer is still in the box. Because it's an ink jet, and ink jets are known for the printhead nozzles being killed by dried ink if you don't use the machines regularly, I have been reluctant to set it up because, once I test it, I'll be in the cycle. And Epson ink is expensive.

Has anyone had recent experience with Epson ink jet printers? Especially in the WorkForce series? If so, I'd like to know how they work. I have an H-P B&W laser printer/multi-function machine and a Canon color laser printer/color machine. No problems with ink drying out with those, but the largest page either can print or scan is 8-1/2" x 14". I'm leaning toward trying to sell the Epson on Craigs List.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Ink jet printers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 12:02:13 PM »
I used to have a 44" wide Epson. It would self-clean, and generally behaved pretty well. If you need larger prints, I'd recommend you contract out for those services.
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 12:03:57 PM »
My experience at home is with inkjets, just standard size - no large format units - but here's what I found.

My previous printer was a conventional Epson Workforce and I found they flat out LIED about the number of prints per expen$ive cartridge - I strongly believe they deliberately waste ink during the automatic cleaning cycles. (Same with my previous Canon printer.) At about the 5 year mark it stopped printing some colors and I tried flushing out the print heads - no joy, it just wasn't working, so I bought an Epson ET-3760 - it's an "Eco Tank" printer and so far I haven't had to refill ink at all, and I've had it nearly 2 years. From looking at the ink levels, it seems like black is about 1/2 full, and the colors are each still about 3/4 full. My overall impression is that my previous Workforce printer was better built, more highly featured, and less expensive - probably because Epson knew they'd be making a lot more money on ink. (There's GOT to be a HUGE markup on that!)

Every Saturday I run a test print with text in each color (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) and color bars - so far, so good, no clogs. My only comment about printing is that the solid red saturation looks low, but when I print an actual picture it looks good, especially if I use photo grade paper. Oh, and I don't think the "scan" function is as good as my previous Epson, and definitely lags my older Canon.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 02:09:00 PM »
A big deal with inkjets is the "capping station." It's basically a rubber/plastic thing to seal the printhead to keep it moist. There are also probably wipers, to remove smiear.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 03:48:46 PM »
A couple of years ago, in anticipation of a project that would involve printing on large format paper (12" x 18"), I bought an Epson WorkForce multi-function machine -- WF-7620. The project didn't happen, and the printer is still in the box. Because it's an ink jet, and ink jets are known for the printhead nozzles being killed by dried ink if you don't use the machines regularly, I have been reluctant to set it up because, once I test it, I'll be in the cycle. And Epson ink is expensive.

Has anyone had recent experience with Epson ink jet printers? Especially in the WorkForce series? If so, I'd like to know how they work. I have an H-P B&W laser printer/multi-function machine and a Canon color laser printer/color machine. No problems with ink drying out with those, but the largest page either can print or scan is 8-1/2" x 14". I'm leaning toward trying to sell the Epson on Craigs List.

I tend not to like the multifunction inkjets very much.  It's hard to find a standalone ink jet these days.

I have a customer that loves the Workforces, and buys them  on their own.  They seem OK.  Memory is unclear, but I recall one of them being "funky" to get set up on a network.  That's been a while.

Another customer was sick and tired of running through HP ink cartridges.  I got her an Epson Ecotank something or other.  She lovvvvves it.  They're refilled from an ink bottle, which is inexpensive.  Initial setup if more complicated.  They're expensive, compared to regular inkjet printers.

My daughter tells me the Ecotank printers are very popular with homeschoolers.

HP has a similar line, that I have no experience with.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 07:56:09 AM »
I don't print much. It's a VERY heavy print year for me if I print 100 pages. And the vast majority of that comes at tax time.

For that reason I hate ink jet printers. Every time I really did need to print something my ink cartridges were dry.

So, I bought a black and white multi-function laser printer about 10 years ago.

Works just fine.

And I'm still on the introductory cartridge that came with it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »
Lasers are the way to go, for most purposes. I bought the Epson inkjet specifically for the ability to print on large sheets -- and then the need to do so evaporated. That's why it's still in the box. The print cost per page for laser is a fraction of the cost per page with inkjet.

I actually now have three laser printers here. One is the H-P B&W multi-function machine I mentioned above, the second is a Canon color laser multi-function machine. The third is a Sharp laser printer/scanner/copier (no fax function) that I bought back in the late 1980s. It still works as a copier, but I can't use it as a printer or scanner because there are no drivers available that work with Windows Vista or newer. Just before I "upgraded" my last XP notebook computer from XP to Windows 7 I tested the old Sharp, and it still printed just fine. If I knew anyone still using Windows XP I'd give it to them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 09:33:14 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.