Author Topic: Super Light Carry?  (Read 9688 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Super Light Carry?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »
Ruger also has the recently-released LC9.  I haven't seen one personally, but a friend has and he was highly impressed with the compactness and light weight.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
I'm am asking because of a back injury. Surgery on a few disc's back in '01. This wouldn't be an everyday carry, just when I'm hurting.

I sat in an all day meeting on Wednesday and then spent yesterday catching up on paper work so I'm a little tight this week.

I do notice my belt is starting to get a little soft. I'll have to start looking for one of those also.

I need to bring my refrigerant scale up sometime today and weigh some pistols. I have an old alloy frame stubnose that doesn't feel much lighter then the XD. I can't find the little Erma. I used to carry that in a pocket some. I must have loaned it out.

Maybe I'll take a trip to the gunshop this weekend to see what they have in.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
I've got an S&W J-frame 442 (.38SPL+P) for my light carry.  It's 12.5oz unloaded (IIRC).  I got it brand new on sale for something like $309.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
I have the Ruger LCP as an off duty gun.

It is small, inacurate, difficult to hold, and only is .380.

That said, it is small, only as inacurate as the shooter, not meant to be held a lot, and all of the above because it is .380.

The .380 cal is sufficient as a last resort round, me and bad guy in parking lot a few feet apart. The size of the grip can be mitigated some with the little magazine thingy to add on so the weapon can be sorta held.

This weapon is not nearly so well made as my HK stuff, but it is also substantially less expensive.

Is this a good carry piece that is really small and fairly reliable?

Absolutely!!

You will not be taking several hundred meter sniper shots with it.

It basically has no real sights.....kinda look down the top slide....

Yeah, I like it for what it is and does.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
My back is hurting a bit again.

I carried my XD45 today. It's not a heavy piece but it does weigh me down by the end of the day.

I'm thinking about getting a super light carry piece and keep the heavy stuff in the truck.

(I have a pair of B2's overhead I got a little distracted. Actually the second one was overhead when I heard the first one. Have you ever seen a B1B at high speed ground level. ;)  )

But anyway, I was thinking about an NAA Mini or a little pocket derringer. I know they make some small .380's and 9's these days but I haven't shot any of them.

What are you  carrying that is small?

jim

PF9.  Ruger's plastic wheelgun comes in about that same weight.

I had a chance to run some rounds through a .357 LCR over last weekend.  Interesting.  .38 through that should be easy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:55:31 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
JMO- a 5 shot snubbie is great- if you have another gun to go with it-  if you need a gun, you are going to NEED a GUN- I have read far too many accounts of failures to stop, multiple opponents, etc. to go with a slow to reload, five shot 38. Thugs tend to run in groups.

JMO- most blowback 380's are unreliable- very ammo sensitive-

There have been a bunch of slim, single stack 9mm carry guns offered in the last few years- Kel tec, the new ruger, and a new kimber
 Most of them have a 7 +1 capacity, and weigh about 18-20 oz.  You might look at a Glock 30 single stack .45, and the Kahr line of pistols  also. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
JMO- a 5 shot snubbie is great- if you have another gun to go with it-  if you need a gun, you are going to NEED a GUN- I have read far too many accounts of failures to stop, multiple opponents, etc. to go with a slow to reload, five shot 38. Thugs tend to run in groups.

JMO- most blowback 380's are unreliable- very ammo sensitive-

There have been a bunch of slim, single stack 9mm carry guns offered in the last few years- Kel tec, the new ruger, and a new kimber
 Most of them have a 7 +1 capacity, and weigh about 18-20 oz.  You might look at a Glock 30 single stack .45, and the Kahr line of pistols  also. 

Agree completely with everything but Kahr. Their stainless guns can be made reliable but are heavy. The polymers are like a new age Para-Ordnance lottery. You get a good one and you're set. If not....

The locked breech micro .380s are pretty good, but I did sell my P3AT for concern with keeping up with it's maintenance. Replace springs, lovingly clean, test fire, repeat. Mine was reliable while I had it. That said, revolvers are no magic cure. I dropped my 325 this summer. Dropped while walking on the beach at the surf line.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: That only took a few hours to get operational. *Well, that's how long it took to disassemble to the last screw and flush everything repeatedly. I gingerly tried the trigger once when it was full of sand. No chance that gun would have worked.

*Lost the trigger bar during disassembly, so it's still dead. (See procrastination thread.) I guess if I wanted it running badly enough I'd cannibalize my 625 for the part until I ordered another. Revolvers can go wrong huge when they do go wrong.

J-Frame should be a 2nd gun, but sometimes a person is only going to carry one no matter what, so a light J-frame is miles  better than terse words.

And hey, when they're not hanging out on the beach a 325 is a great lightweight carry piece in a real caliber!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »
I have some nerve damage in my spine that makes me prone to back spasms. I had to stop carrying my XD45 for the same reason. I went to a M&P340 Smith and haven't looked back.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
Old High Standard 9 shot 22. I carry it sometimes around the place for pest control: 20.5 oz

Combat Commander: 43.5 oz

XD45 Service:  39 oz

All fully loaded.

I guess that little pistol is lighter than I thought.

I'll pull a few more out tonight and see what they way.

jim

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:39 PM »
If you have back issues, I was going to suggest it may not be the weight but the pressure in the wrong place or something.  Try carrying in a different spot a few days.  At the least, a pocket pistol like the Kel-Tecs and S&W Airweights will provide a different fit and feel and give your back a break.  Kel-Tec makes a pretty small 9mm also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »
P3AT or one of the ridiculously light Smiths like a 342 or 340. Now just because it says .357 doesn't mean you have to put them in there.

That thar is wisdom...

Alloy J-frames are made to forget you are carrying them, scandium or old-school aluminum.

Maybe an Officer's ACP (3.5" bbl) or Defender (3.0" bbl) sized 1911 with an alloy frame.  Light and slim.  Maybe even get it in 9mm, like my wife's.

Perhaps it is not the weight giving you fits, but the bulk or pressure?  If so, a slim auto could be the ticket.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »
Perhaps it is not the weight giving you fits, but the bulk or pressure?  If so, a slim auto could be the ticket.
Exactly why I favor the p32 these days.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »
My wallet in my back pocket has wrecked more of me than any full size gun ever could. Now I get smart and take it out while driving.
AKA Navy Joe   

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
You can forget you're carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT... To the point where you're digging for change, and.... Oops...

A P3AT in your pocket beats the heck out of a Deagle that you left at home in the safe.

I know a guy who thunderwears a Scandium Smith .44 magnum... He's insane. In a good way...

Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »
CNYCacher:
I met a guy once who claimed to keep a .22 pistol under his shirt using a .22 bore brush attached to a chain around his neck, pushed down the barrel.

I didn't think it was a particularly safe idea, but I'll float it out there.

Strange.  I could never pull a bronze bore brush backwards out of a barrel, once you shove it in. You can do it, but you have to twist the brush so the bristles sort of flatten out sideways as you're pulling on the brush.  That's why pistol bore brushes are shorter than rifle brushes... so they will clear the barrel and on pulling it back out, the bristles will turn the other way.

In fact, one of the ways to attempt to remove a broken case from a chamber is to stick a shotgun bronze bore brush in there so the bristles grab the inside of the case and then you yank on it.

Maybe it was a fiber brush, or perhaps one of those spiral ones, but I wouldn't want to trust one of those to have enough grabbance for the gun to stay put.

And it is inherently unsafe.  Imagine the muzzle pointed directly at your chin as you yank on the gun to free it.  That wouldn't be classed as an accident.  That would be classed as a suicide.

I don't think he's crazy in a good way.

(I agree with the poster who remarked about the wallet in his back pocket causing back pain.  I only learned this about a year and a half ago.  I keep it on a chain and park it 'twixt my legs when driving, so when I get out of the car, there's no chance of forgetting it or having it fall out on the pavement as I exit the car. It bangs on my knees if I forget to grab it.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:02:50 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
I try not to toss my change in the gun pocket. I have discovered my car keys there a few times though.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
NEF 32 H & R Mag 5 shot: 27.5 oz

Mauser Model 80 SA (Hi Power clone): 39 oz

That little NEF might get carried for a few days next week. I'm not planning on going anywhere this weekend so I'm going to carry the High Standard to try to see if it's a weight issue.

Then I'll have a better idea about weight when I go shopping.

jim

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
Ruger also has the recently-released LC9.  I haven't seen one personally, but a friend has and he was highly impressed with the compactness and light weight.

Brad

I got to handle one about 4 hours ago.  It's like unto my KT PF9, but (no surprise) seems way better made.  $369 asking price.  The shop had one example, and were taking orders.    The molded grip panels are, oddly, somewhat concave, and very "grippy". 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
I got to handle one about 4 hours ago.  It's like unto my KT PF9, but (no surprise) seems way better made.  $369 asking price.  The shop had one example, and were taking orders.    The molded grip panels are, oddly, somewhat concave, and very "grippy". 

They show it at 17.1 oz. It's 7+1 and that comes up 3.5 oz on my scale.

My "local" shop is about 40 min away but they seem to keep a pretty good stock of the latest Ruger pistols.

I've found something to look at. Thank you.

I didn't even weigh my P series Ruger. It sits in my home office and I know it always works.

jim

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
You can forget you're carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT... To the point where you're digging for change, and.... Oops...

A P3AT in your pocket beats the heck out of a Deagle that you left at home in the safe.

I know a guy who thunderwears a Scandium Smith .44 magnum... He's insane. In a good way...

Ignoring the is that a .44 in your pants or...  And the hey look, a snubby jokes.

I did forget I was carrying a P3at once. I carried mine with the screw on clip inside my jeans right behind my belt buckle. It would often stay clipped to pants I took off with the intention of wearing again. I get to work, go to change into work clothes and there it is. Oopsie. Work was big, gray, and getting underway for the week. Talk about hide stuff good before locker inspections.  [tinfoil]
AKA Navy Joe   

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 12:14:02 AM »
I didn't even weigh my P series Ruger. It sits in my home office and I know it always works.

P-series guns are like John Deere farm tractors.  You don't expect them to be small, light, or fast.

They show it at 17.1 oz. It's 7+1 and that comes up 3.5 oz on my scale.

Maybe (speculating) steel vs. aluminum frame (the serialized part, nestled in the grip)?  Something like that would account for the weight difference vs. the PF9.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
Taking a look at the PF9 I wonder if the other weight was with or without any mag. It doesn't say on the Ruger site but the Kel-Tec says 12.7 with no mag and 14.6 with an empty mag.

jim

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
Terry, 230RN

I wondered that myself.  I know they don't like to reverse but I thought maybe he can yank it hard enough, or it's a weak brush ir something.

I never actually saw it.  We were parking in this guy's front yard for $5 because he had the fortune of his house being really close the the Buffalo Bills stadium.  He spied my pocket knife clip and warned me of security at the gates.  Then apropos to almost nothing, decided to reveal to me, a complete stranger, how he sneaks his .22 into the games.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:33 AM »
i moved my wallet to a front pocket years back, handily a knife or flashlight rides well right next to it to. =D

much easier to carry, and no one can grab your wallet without you knowing. [tinfoil] handkerchief goes in the back pocket, bet that'll get a pick pocket mad. >:D

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 03:22:11 AM »
I like front pocket carry, but it displaces my wallet which I find annoying. No good from seated either. I'm thinking either a cross draw or shoulder rig so I can draw while sitting.

And yes, having a full size high capacity major caliber pistol would be better. Having a rifle would be bestest, but you take what you can get...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.