Author Topic: Ride along on a Lockheed U-2 spyplane  (Read 5345 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Ride along on a Lockheed U-2 spyplane
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
Today's Brief Lesson in Basic Aerodynamics 101:

The main thing wings are designed to do is generate lift.  Faster-moving air is less dense (lower pressure) than slower-moving air (higher pressure), so a wing is shaped with an outward curve on top, and a (basically) flat bottom.  This makes the airplane get "sucked" upward by the lower pressure of the air above the wing.

Another thing wings are designed to do is maintain something called "laminar flow," where air moves over the entire wing smoothly. (Fig. 1a)

When a wing is tilted upward too much, and/or the plane's not going fast enough, the air flow begins to separate, like an axe splitting wood. (Fig. 2)  Instead of the upper surface of the wing contacting lower-pressure smooth air, it's creating turbulent air (Fig. 1b) that keeps the airplane from going up any more, and begins falling.  This is called a "stall," when the airplane stops being a flying machine and instead becomes a hunk of metal several thousand feet in the air with some poor bastard in it.

Fig.1

Fig.2

When an airplane that's not designed to go supersonic does it anyway, or gets close enough to it, something similar happens.  Even though the airplane and the air below it isn't passing by at the speed of sound, the air over the wing is, since it's moving faster already.  Air stops acting like a gas, and instead acts like water coming out of a hose with a nozzle at the end--it doesn't so much flow over a surface as much as it hits it and goes flying off in another direction,(Fig.3) making a shock wave (Fig.4)

Fig.3

Fig.4

Again, the air isn't making contact with the wing like it should, and again, the plane drops out of the sky.

Long Story Short:
What Fly320s said, but with pictures.  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 01:19:49 AM »
I understand him babbling.  Any time I see footage with the Earth's curvature I get tears.  It's beautiful, but I feel cheated, because growing up with the dream of space, that sight should be a common one.  I expected to be living at Moonbase by now.

The Russians want $20 million to go orbital.  How much would I have to pay to get a ride like that?   =|
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 04:12:15 AM »
Beautiful plane.  A powered sailplane.  I didn't know they still flew them.

As recently as a year ago, I regularly saw one (or more?) flying in and out of Osan AB in Korea. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it