Author Topic: Moniter question for computer folks.  (Read 3256 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Moniter question for computer folks.
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
My monitor bit the dust last night.

My new monitor is 22" wide.

The Aspect ratio is off when viewing pages and even photos.

Is there some setting to preserve the aspect ratio? For my life I must be dense, I cannot find this setting it anywhere.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

PTK

• friends
Re: Moniter question for computer folks.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »
Is it a LCD? What was your last monitor? What was the desktop size set at on that monitor? What graphics card are you using? :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
Assuming no graphics card, right click on your desktop--left click on properties--left click on settings tab.  Drag the slide to what looks ok.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »
Is there some setting to preserve the aspect ratio?

You probably don't want to "preserve the aspect ratio" if you're changing to a wide format monitor.

RTFM for the correct preferred resolution, and set your display properties to that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:58:16 PM »
Yup, change the resolution to the native one for the LCD.

A 22 inch display will most likely be 1680x1050, although you might find one or two in 1440x900 or even 1920x1200.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
Yea, first thing I did was right click properties and mess around with the settings.

I'm running XP Pro, all I can choose is  1600 x 1200 or 1280 x 1024.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
What graphics card do you have?  It might not be able to drive the resolution the monitor wants.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
Hmm. If it weren't for you mentioning that the aspect ratio is off, then I would have assumed that it was a fullscreen (4:3 or 5:4) monitor then, going by those two available resolutions. Do you have any indication on the box or paperwork what the native settings are?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
Hmm. If it weren't for you mentioning that the aspect ratio is off, then I would have assumed that it was a fullscreen (4:3 or 5:4) monitor then, going by those two available resolutions. Do you have any indication on the box or paperwork what the native settings are?

1680 x 1050

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
41magsnub may have hit the nail on the head. Is the graphics card discrete (removable unit in a PCI/AGP/PCI-Express slot) or integrated (built into the motherboard) like an Intel GPU?

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
41magsnub may have hit the nail on the head. Is the graphics card discrete (removable unit in a PCI/AGP/PCI-Express slot) or integrated (built into the motherboard) like an Intel GPU?

I'll open the case tomorrow and look to see if it is built in or a separate card. My company just arrived.

Thanks guys!

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
I'll open the case tomorrow and look to see if it is built in or a separate card. My company just arrived.

Thanks guys!

The bigger question besides whether it is embedded or not is what it is.  If you can look in the device manager let us know what model it is.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
All I can come up with is this, is this the card?

SiS 661FX

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 09:19:02 AM »
Okay, after a little research I think you have the SIS mirage graphics card which is built into the motherboard of your PC based on the chipset you described.  The max resolution on that card is 1600x1200. 

http://www.sis.com/products/sis661fx.htm

I read this again and the page I found refers to the mobile version of the chipset.  Do you have a laptop or a desktop?  This page for the desktop says it can handle some pretty high resolutons:  http://www.sis.com/products/sis661fx_features.htm

If this is the case you might just need some updates.  Check this page:  http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm#73
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:54:14 AM by 41magsnub »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:17:51 AM »
Okay, after a little research I think you have the SIS mirage graphics card which is built into the motherboard of your PC based on the chipset you described.  The max resolution on that card is 1600x1200. 

http://www.sis.com/products/sis661fx.htm

I read this again and the page I found refers to the mobile version of the chipset.  Do you have a laptop or a desktop?  This page for the desktop says it can handle some pretty high resolutons:  http://www.sis.com/products/sis661fx_features.htm

If this is the case you might just need some updates.  Check this page:  http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm#73

It is a desktop PC

I'm going to pop the case open and double check that it is an onboard set up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
This page suggests that a BIOS update is needed for widescreen, but that it will disable DVI:

http://www.wimsbios.com/files/vgabiospatched/bios.jsp
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:35:39 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
What's with all the freakishly huge monitors these days? 

And when are prices on 17" monitors going to come down to something reasonable?  Like, say, forty bucks?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 11:46:09 AM »
Well....I updated the driver and that got me half way there. Once I chose 1680x1050 my screen was grainy and the page didn't fit on the massive screen.

I also was getting an error when everything loaded up...there was supposed to be a utility installed that wouldn't load up.

What did help me out though was it installed a "check for new drivers" tab I noticed when I was looking in properties/settings/advanced.

Once I hit that it loaded up the proper drivers, configuration and everything works.

Thanks a bunch to all you folks for the tech support. I'm not totally illiterate when it comes to this stuff, I just know enough to get in trouble, lol.

As far as the huge screen fistful, photo editing should be nicer for me on the bigger screen for one thing. This is my first widescreen so I'll see how I like it.

Thanks again everyone!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »
You probably don't want to "preserve the aspect ratio" if you're changing to a wide format monitor.

RTFM for the correct preferred resolution, and set your display properties to that.

When I would view photos they were stretched, pretty irritating. Even watching my big screen TV I don't care for the stretch to fit option. I prefer to view everything properly. This monitor as mentioned will be nice for photo editing. Also I can watch stuff in widescreen without it being tiny.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
And when are prices on 17" monitors going to come down to something reasonable?  Like, say, forty bucks?

17" tube monitors can be had for next to nothing, at fine garage sales everywhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 01:17:01 PM »
17" tube monitors can be had for next to nothing, at fine garage sales everywhere.

I was trying to get $5 a pop for two 17 inch tube monitors at my last garage sale.  With an hour left I put "free" just because I wanted to get rid of them.... still didn't get any takers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
I was, um, talking about the LCD kind.  I see so many 19 and 22 and 87 inch monitors out there at what used to be 17" prices, I'm wondering when the 17's are going to come down some.

'Course, the old-fashioned tube screens have never come down in price either.   ;/  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
I'm wondering when the 17's are going to come down some.

You'll simply see them disappear before retailers sell them at $40, especially anything not widescreen. Try and find a $40 15" LCD. Pretty much the only ones for sale new are expensive special application monitors -- touchscreen, ruggedized, etc.

Anyways, you need a big widescreen monitor to properly view that Serenity in Space image you posted here a while back that I'm now using as my background. It looks all squished and midget-y in 4:3.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."