Author Topic: US orders news blackout over crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant  (Read 4756 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Between Russia and The Nation I wouldn't be surprised if this is just propaganda. On the other hand, my confidence in our government is at an all time low.

Anyone have the scoop on this?

http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/International/18-Jun-2011/US-orders-news-blackout-over-crippled-Nebraska-Nuclear-Plant-report
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: US orders news blackout over crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
Between Russia and The Nation I wouldn't be surprised if this is just propaganda. On the other hand, my confidence in our government is at an all time low.

That is the risk gov't takes when it is run by fools who give the citizenry the mushroom treatment. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »
How did we get a Tsunami in Nebraska?

I can understand trying to funnel all the news through a spokesman, but trying to hide it would be a crap thing to do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »
You know, if there was an NPP disaster here in the states, I would actually expect the current regime to be shouting it from the mountain tops in the goal of destroying every last shred of clean, plentiful, and cheap power generation in the U.S.

As to the article, no clue as to it's veracity so I'll take my usual spot on the fence over here.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
Yes, color me skeptical.  The article refers to an infowars.com report about a "security exercise" going on in OH, KY and WV.  I will be joining kgbsquirrel on the fence.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
when i heard infowars i knew it was true!!! >:D :facepalm: [barf]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »

Anyone have the scoop on this?

http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/International/18-Jun-2011/US-orders-news-blackout-over-crippled-Nebraska-Nuclear-Plant-report

I did hear something about it, but the source was one that I wouldn't be surprised to see channel Alex Jones.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »
Wow, I wasn't aware we had a 35% increase in infant mortality from the Fukushima plant  ;/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
Is a news blackout compatible with the first amendment on freedom of expression?

I thought only Britain had this kind of mechanism...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »
Is a news blackout compatible with the first amendment on freedom of expression?

Nope. And it's unlikely newspapers would cooperate.

Hence the skepticism about the report.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »
keeping all those folks in omaha quiet would be a good trick too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Nope. And it's unlikely newspapers would cooperate.

I've worked in a newspaper.  You speak the truth.  If there is one thing that will get a reporter or editor whipped up into a researching frenzy, it is the government trying to hide information.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »
Wow, I wasn't aware we had a 35% increase in infant mortality from the Fukushima plant  ;/
That is a pretty quick turnaround time on that research.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »
I've worked in a newspaper.  You speak the truth.  If there is one thing that will get a reporter or editor whipped up into a researching frenzy, it is the government trying to hide information.

the other thing is an editor trying to hide stuff about his own paper

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »

No, this is a Pakistani news operation taking second hand quasi-tabloid "news" sources adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.

Any number of local news sources could be quickly searched on the net to show this is not true. The "blackout" is simply that there's not much to report of interest, the reactors were shut down as a precaution due to the flooding in the region, so the American Mainstream Media is ignoring it.

Pakistan has an ax to grind with the U.S. of late, justified or not, we've not been exceptionally respectful of their sovereignty or borders lately, with some rather embarrassing consequences for them.  >:D
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
the reactors were shut down as a precaution due to the flooding in the region in April for refueling, so the American Mainstream Media is ignoring it.

FTFY.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?