Author Topic: Another cold fusion claim  (Read 6377 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Another cold fusion claim
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
It was a great movie....but Kilmer's character wasn't the real Saint. If you watch the original Saint TV series (the ONLY thing Roger Moore ever did well), Templar is more of a mystery-solving gentleman con artist....not a high-tech, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE-style thief. And Templar isn't the love-sick puppy type, either. Think of a cross b/t REMINGTON STEELE & THE MENTALIST......

Well, I am old enough that I was reading The Saint books by Leslie Charteris decades before television brought us Roger Moore masquerading as The Saint. I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but the movie Saint was much closer to the original character than Roger Moore. Poor old Roger is just too effeminate and too much of a lightweight to ever be The saint, any more than he could effectively be James Bond.

Kilmer wasn't perfect, of course. The book Saint was taller, darker and more physical, as well as being more urbane and sophisticated. He was also more into subterfuge and not as prone to relying on disguises. On the whole, however, I found the movie to be far more satisfying than the television version.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:55:13 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
Elisabeth Shue

She was the mom in Dreamer, and interestingly enough - played Jennifer (?) in the second and third Back to the Future Movies.  The original actress was not available for the sequels, so they had to re-shoot the Toyota p/u in the garage and Delorean with the Mr Fusion power, using Shue instead.  But mostly all she had to do was lie on the porch swing and sleep through the whole thing.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
Elizabeth Shue and Lea Thompson.

To be a teenage boy in the 80's.... :O =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 02:25:26 PM »
Well, I am old enough that I was reading The Saint books by Leslie Charteris decades before television brought us Roger Moore masquerading as The Saint.

Another thing I'll have to buy for my Kindle....thanks, Hawkmoon!....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.