Author Topic: Industrial wines or how to make wine taste good  (Read 2079 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Industrial wines or how to make wine taste good
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
Really interesting article on how wine is produced. I'm a big fan of lower priced reds and will sometimes splurge and spend 10 bucks on a bottle!  :laugh:
Winemaking may conjure images of sun-­dappled vineyards and grand châteaus. But a typical ­bottle of Napa Cabernet owes more to lab-coat-­wearing chemists than to barefoot grape stompers. Like most foodstuffs, wine has been thoroughly industrialized. ­Million-­gallon batches are cooked up in ­behemoth factories in Australia or California’s less-dreamy-­sounding Central Valley and made of grapes that come from just about anywhere. And vintners are under constant pressure to find new ways to save money...

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/how-to-make-wine-taste-good/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
Re: Industrial wines or how to make wine taste good
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
Most of those additives are available at places like Northern Brewer, some are absolutely necessary, others are highly suggested when making non-grape wines.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
Most of those additives are available at places like Northern Brewer, some are absolutely necessary, others are highly suggested when making non-grape wines.

beat me to it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Wow, I did not know how much chemistry was involved in the industrial quantities of wine production.  In terms of end-user improvements, we have been using a aerator in pouring wine, or have at times used the restaurant red wine trick of pouring the whole bottle into the blender and whirling it up for 30 seconds. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
If you have ever drunk a bottle of wine made the "old-fashioned" way (stomped grape juice put in a barrel in a warm, damp cave for a few weeks/months) then you will understand both why wars were fought and industrial winemaking looks to chemistry.

Between what was between the toes of the grapestompers and what was floating in the air was the difference between something Rectalavius needed Naveluum to hold a spear on him to drink it and what you could buy whole provinces for with a few clay jugs of the stuff.  And every what came out of the cave changed depending on which way the winds were blowing.  Sometimes just a bit, sometimes a lot.

When customers began wanting more wine that tasted pretty much the same from batch to batch and year to year they started adding stuff to do certain things so that it would all come out that way.

From expereience I will tell you that synthesyzing distilled spirits is a whole lot easier that synthesyzing wine.  Back when I had access to the ingredients I could whip up a bottle of 10-, or 20-, or 30-year old Scotch or a gallon of gin in less than half an hour.  Run it through a gas chromatograph and the machine would swear it was the real stuff.  Even with all the necessary engredients it was more difficult to produce anything that was not Annie Greensprings (for those hippies out there who still remember that taste).

IMHO if it were not for the unholy influence of the wine snobs who want to be able to pick out Brand C every time, the industry would go back to living with the variations and celebrating them.  If that were to happen, last Thursday afternoon's Two-Buck Chuck could compete with the post 1870s Lafite Rothchilds' for vintage snobbery.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:10:57 PM »
According to Hobbes, if you play "zymurgy" on a triple word score, it's worth 150 points.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »
Owl Pellet Wine from Aldi.  Worth every penny of the $2.89 you paid for it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
Owl Pellet Wine from Aldi.  Worth every penny of the $2.89 you paid for it.

I shopped at an Aldi's once. You can't pay me enough to go back to that dump.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »
Within walking distance from the house.

http://www.oakhillswinery.com/index.htm
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:53 PM »
If you have ever drunk a bottle of wine made the "old-fashioned" way (stomped grape juice put in a barrel in a warm, damp cave for a few weeks/months) then you will understand both why wars were fought and industrial winemaking looks to chemistry . . .
Some years back, there was a show on TV about "traditional" winemaking.

One part involved mixing up the large vat of crushed grapes by having a naked guy sort of "swim" through it, chest deep - a step beyond barefoot stomping.  [barf]

I think I'll go with food-grade chemistry on this one.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:57:11 PM »
I have a friend that is a wine maker. He works for a small winery (10k gallon a year)
Science is not necessarily a good thing, skill is better. Once you start using a laboratory to find imperfections you start using science to fix them. A big winery will not scrap a bad batch of wine, they will use every chemical trick in the book to fix it.
He used to work for a larger one (50k gallon) and that type of stuff was starting to happen, its not for the better either.
That is one reason he does not work there.

A couple of years ago I was in Spain. driving down a road I thought I saw a refinery. On the return trip I was quite shocked to see it was a winery. It was a giant tank farm.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
One of my classmates from chemistry school is the head winemaker for Snoqualmie Vineyards.  She has been in the wine business since the early 80's, after graduating and working for the USDA for a while.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:55 AM »
I shopped at an Aldi's once. You can't pay me enough to go back to that dump.

Aldi's has some good stuff. Worth the $.25 cart rental. =) I've also had some pretty good filet mignon from Sam's Club.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
One way to make it taste better or make yourself care less is to drink more of it.

I've got several bottles of some seriousl nasty Mexican brandy. I save it for special occasions like when the brother in laws I don't care for show up and they want something to drink. Other than that it makes a pretty good base for home made cough syrup.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
I think I heard a song about a nasty mexican Brandy once.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.