Author Topic: Michigan open-carrier acquitted on concealed gun charge  (Read 2384 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: Michigan open-carrier acquitted on concealed gun charge
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
I know about West Michigan (Muskegon area) pre 1994 (when I moved to Texas). It was not open carry friendly then EVEN IF YOU ARE WHITE, and especially if the cop is a DETROIT METRO reared person culturally speaking. Unless you were in the country wearing blaze orange, in season and carrying a wooden stocked rifle/shotgun you could expect to get, at the very least, proned out at gunpoint for open carrying.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
I know about West Michigan (Muskegon area) pre 1994 (when I moved to Texas). It was not open carry friendly then EVEN IF YOU ARE WHITE, and especially if the cop is a DETROIT METRO reared person culturally speaking. Unless you were in the country wearing blaze orange, in season and carrying a wooden stocked rifle/shotgun you could expect to get, at the very least, proned out at gunpoint for open carrying.

But that was twenty-plus years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:33:21 AM »
21 yrs this month
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:05:06 AM »
Need to file unlawful arrest charges against the city.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
I don't understand black people, man

Thug attacks a cop and gets his thuggy self shot, protests everywhere

This? Nothing

THIS is what the black community should be rallying around
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »
Eh tu?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:08:16 PM »
I was in the Angola, Indiana, Walmart a few months ago and saw a guy open carrying (not common in The Hoosier) and thought, "Hey, cool!". Haven't seen anyone open carrying in public before or since in Michigun (where I live) or Indiana (about 5 miles South of me).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:48:53 AM »
Starting to see more of it here in Oklahoma.  Still don't see it becoming epidemic.  Most people I know that have CCW don't want to advertise.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
First time, and only time I think, I've ever seen someone open carry was in South Dakota at a gas station. Guy had a shoulder holstered revolver. Took me a sec to even notice it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
I OC everytime I cross the line into Indiana, and it pretty much stays on except for when I'm asleep.

I've only had two people ever comment and one was a Gary Police Officer whose eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw me at the Pilot station in Gary.

The other was a guy in line behind me at a Pilot in Indy.  "Is that a Kimber?"

Have seen some raised eyebrows and the "shock of recognition" faces, but no one has said anything negative, nor called the police on me yet. 

Caller - "There's a man with gun."

911 Center- "What's he doing?"

Caller - "Deperately trying to keep up with a 90 year old blind guy as he plows his way through the crowd in the store."

=D =D  =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
Need to file unlawful arrest charges against the city.

Until individual officers are hauled into Court, and sent into bankruptcy for blatant disregard of the law, suing the City won't fix any thing.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 05:27:38 AM »
  Until individual officers are hauled into Court, and sent into bankruptcy for blatant disregard of the law, suing the City won't fix any thing.

Until individual officers and prosecutors are hauled in to court and sent to prison for blatant violations of civil rights, suing the City won't fix anything.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:58 AM »

Sue the department and you're likely to get policy changes. Especially if you indicate you're willing to cut the damages if they adapt and maintain said policies.

It's not a good solution, but it's the only productive one allowed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »
Friend of mine regularly open carries in Virginia. As far as I know no one has ever said boo to him about it.

I've open carried occasionally when walking my dogs, but in general I'm not really a believer in it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 12:28:58 PM »
Friend of mine regularly open carries in Virginia. As far as I know no one has ever said boo to him about it.

I've open carried occasionally when walking my dogs, but in general I'm not really a believer in it.

I never had ANY issues with open carry in VA. Really OC friendly in my experience
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
I don't understand black people, man

Thug attacks a cop and gets his thuggy self shot, protests everywhere
This? Nothing

THIS is what the black community should be rallying around

I tried telling my SJW daughter this (not this specific case, but that Walmart execution in... Ohio?) but I think she only gets upset about the cases her SJW friends tell her to be upset about.   :facepalm:

Perhaps the particular communities doing all the protesting (there's not just one black community, and Jesse J. doesn't speak for all black people) relate better to the thugs.  "I don't want my baby Dindu Nuffin getting shot for robbing a liquor store"  They know he's gonna rob a liquor store someday, and on some level they approve of that behavior.
"It's good, though..."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 01:05:17 PM »
I have a question:  How the heck does the court get away with suppressing huge chunks of the law, not to mention evidence that the officers conducting the arrest are racist douches?

Wouldn't that form a basis for appeal?  Telling the appeals court: 'Your honor, we were unable to tell the jury that a completely legal, but related activity existed, and that we believed, and had evidence, that the defendant was doing the legal version'.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 04:59:43 PM »
Yep, that's what's called an "Affirmative Defense".  Per the state statutes this activity is perfectly legal as long you X.Y, and Z are present.  And in this case they are.  Therefore, the officers should be kicked in jimmies and off the force.

I think that enough lose everything they own, their nice pensions, and their jobs, then the rest MIGHT, just might learn what "To Serve and To Protect" emblazoned on the sides of their squad cars means.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
I have a question:  How the heck does the court get away with suppressing huge chunks of the law, not to mention evidence that the officers conducting the arrest are racist douches?

The latter I can (sort of ) understand, although I disagree: their comments about other people doesn't relate directly to the defendant and to the case at hand. Okay, maybe a solid reason. But ...

Not allowing the jury to know what the law says? That HAS to be reversible error. (Doesn't it?)

Paging New Hamford. Mr. Hamford to the yellow security phone, please.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
And our resident Imperial Magistrate, Chris.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »
Yep, that's what's called an "Affirmative Defense".  Per the state statutes this activity is perfectly legal as long you X.Y, and Z are present.  And in this case they are.  Therefore, the officers should be kicked in jimmies and off the force.

I think that enough lose everything they own, their nice pensions, and their jobs, then the rest MIGHT, just might learn what "To Serve and To Protect" emblazoned on the sides of their squad cars means.

That right there!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G